Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy info

• 24-08-2014 10:16am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could someone help or link to previous threads for me as I can't find them on my phone.

I'm looking for current thinking on spaying a female puppy. Also on the guidelines on vaccinations - long term, not whilst she's a puppy.

I know what the vet told me, but I also remember a discussion on here about both but for the life of me I can't find them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Can you elaborate on what the vet told you. I am also facing this quandary down the road a bit. I am a bit, suspicious would be the wrong word but reluctant to accept the advice of doggie organisations as its quite obvious why they would recommend spaying but I am of the view that every situation is different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Well my vet told me that she should be spayed before her first heat, around 6mths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Well my vet told me that she should be spayed before her first heat, around 6mths.

I was told the opposite :p which was fine because I'd already decided to let her grow/mature first before spaying - she'll be 17 months when she gets spayed at the end of October. It depends on the breed too - a large breed dog should be fully grown before you go interfering with growth plates by spaying/neutering too early. I have experience of what happens when growth plates get damaged - 2-3 weeks of dealing with a dog in heat is a LOT easier than 3 months of crate rest trust me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

angeldaisy wrote: »

I would honestly think this is one of the most debated dog issues you could come across I think even vets cant agree there are so many different opinions

that and why do dogs eat grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

tk123 wrote: »
    I was told the opposite :p which was fine because I'd already decided to let her grow/mature first before spaying - she'll be 17 months when she gets spayed at the end of October. It depends on the breed too - a large breed dog should be fully grown before you go interfering with growth plates by spaying/neutering too early. I have experience of what happens when growth plates get damaged - 2-3 weeks of dealing with a dog in heat is a LOT easier than 3 months of crate rest trust me!

I'd agree with this. As long as the owner is responsible and not letting the dog(male or female) wander around, I believe they should be fully mature before spaying/neutering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

It's a very interesting debate alright. Are there guidelines out there as to when they are considered fully grown/matured
    Do they differ per breed/ size?

Advertisement