Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even Rocky had a montage

Options
  • 24-08-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

London 2015 is the goal race. Ran my first sub 3 in Rotterdam this year. Have been off the boil since as new baby arrived in the house over the summer. Now that the cold & has started to come back I will be able to get out more.

Averaging about 50 miles a week at the moment for the last month after a poor spell before that as was hard to get out with a new born. Baby is sleeping the night now so .... time to start some serious training.

Gonna bring that up to 60 over the next month and hopefully 70 the following month. Not going to overthink it too much.

Training consists of 1 long and 1 LSR a week and a 30 min tempo. Rest is easy running. Want to build up a good base before marathon specific training kicks in.

21st of Dec will be the start date for my 18 week marathon specific training.

My current PBs are:

1M 5:44 - 2012 (haven't run one since)
    3k 10:28 - 2013
    5k 17:52 - 2013
    5M 30:29 -2014
    10k (never ran one)
    10M 1:02.48 - 2014
    1/2 1:27.56 - 2013
    Mar 2:58.48 - 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

This week
    Mon - 5.63M with 2x1M @ 5:50 with 2/3 mins rec (bad idea looking back on it)
    Tues - 5.95M easy
    Wed - 7.4M incl 5M race in 30:29. Disappointed but it was the first race for a while. A slight PB. Ditched cool down (also silly)
    Thurs - 11M @ 7:15 in the evening.
    Fri - 6.25 very easy
    Sat - Rest
    Sun 18.5M @ easyish HR on empty with just water (watch said it was full so no idea how long it took)
    55 Miles total with a 5M race.

Started to take magnesium since Friday and getting much better sleep and legs are not sore. LSR today felt very easy. Could have done 30. On the LSR a guy had his fat dog off the leash and a cyclist went straight over him. He had a nice bike and said he was just after getting his two knees done (wasn't angry at all). I had to ask the dog owner to control his dog after it happened as the dog was basically standing on top of the poor man and not letting him get up. Not the dogs fault. He was quite lucky as he landed on the grass verge of the tar path as there are lots of rocks and walls in other places on the loop he was on. My hate of dog owners who don't clean up after or let their dogs off the lead in such areas grows by the day. The guy nearly landed in a big pile of someone else dog ****e. He had a nice giant bike also and one of the wheels was fecked. The dog owner did admit complete responsibility and offered to give him his phone number but the victim wouldn't have it. Can't say I would have taken it as calmly.

Mon 6M easy @ 8min recovery pace. Was thinking of doing a double but best to leave it off. Medium long run tomorrow (will try over hilly route). Was thinking about doing Ballycotton 5 but the route ain't the best so it might not be the best idea so will do the club tempo instead and wait till the 14th of Sept as I can make a good improvement fitness-wise in 3 weeks. Don't know if doing a 5M race or a 30min tempo is better to do? Then again it would be good to practice going slow for the first two miles instead of 5:40. Could treat it like a training session and don't tamper ?

10.32 hilly miles around Cork city. Nice run but hilly @ 8M pace avg.

9.5M easy flat run @ 8min/mile. Just some easy miles as I have a tempo tomorrow evening. First 200M month for a while.

Did the ice bucket thing this evening only to txt donate afterwards and see that I have to do it at work for the team I work with tomorrow.

Have been very much off the boil for a long time but I had a run last night that I felt something that I haven't in a long time. It an arousal for the sport and why I run. A feeling of emotion that why I am doing it. Things are starting to click. I used to get this on a long tempo a feeling of being alive but it hasn't been there for a good few months but I have got it back. The ultra guys call it alpha state I believe. Its when your mind goes perfectly clear and endorphins flow. This high is the reason why most of us run I believe. So in summary "I got my mojo back" and I am mad for road !!! :)

• Advertisement

7.5M today, 30Mins @ about 6:15 ish (should have done 35). didn't do much of a cool down. easy tomorrow.

Interestingly I did the ice bucket challenge for a 2nd time today as everyone was doing it at work :/
    So I went to the gym afterwards to shower. So was in the shower and I heard someone come into the changing room. I know that there is a female cleaner so I made sure to have a towel on when coming out of the shower. So I went to change and there she was filling a bucket of water in the staff only part of the changing room biting her lip looking out the door to catch a look of the lads coming out of the shower. Creepy. If the shoe was on the other foot there would be a court case. Don't know if I should tell the guy I know that works there or let it go. At least a male staff should walk around the changing room and tell everyone that a female cleaner was coming in to clean.

7M easy with running buggy last night. Had a few beers last night with work. On the early starts at the moment so had no interest as was very tired. Between too minds if I will run today or just take it off. Would be nice to break the 60 or 65 with the long run and a jaunt today. We will see.

Won a free entry into a race (but it was a good two hours drive) with a very small baby in the house one look from the wife I knew it was not happening. I would probably use up a few credits there for a race that I would only do as a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

rom wrote: »
    7M easy with running buggy last night. Had a few beers last night with work. On the early starts at the moment so had no interest as was very tired. Between too minds if I will run today or just take it off. Would be nice to break the 60 or 65 with the long run and a jaunt today. We will see.

Won a free entry into a race (but it was a good two hours drive) with a very small baby in the house one look from the wife I knew it was not happening. I would probably use up a few credits there for a race that I would only do as a long run.

You must get a few credits for running with the buggy? It's not easy with a new baby. Take the rest if you need it!

Took a rest day yesterday and did 20M today with the last 4 at around 6:25 pace.

60M for the week and 237 for the month. Very happy with that as legs feel very fresh.

So I have been taking magnesium 1 week and 2 days now and it has made my recovery much much better. My legs are no longer sore. Would recommend anyone to try it for a week. I really feel now that I can push on to the 70+ weeks where I broke down before. Just need magnesium and enough protein and I can do anything. Its early yet but I just am not cramping like I used to. Was happening for years.

• Advertisement

Just going on garmin connect my V02 Max was 60 around April pre marathon. It dropped to 57 by May due to becoming detrained. Back up to 59 yesterday. Happy with that. As I am not doing DCM I can make good to push well over 60 by April. I know its not a great stat to look at but it does show a trend that I am getting back to full fitness. Bearing in mind that I train best in the winter I am looking forward to pushing for a good goal time for London.

Legs feel good today. Gave them an ice bath for a few mins when I came home and have compression socks on as I feel they help also. Will see how they are when I go for a run at lunch.

Non running related. Was in Supervalu yesterday buying eggs with my 2 year old. The woman behind us put some stuff on the belt. My daughter turns to her and says "Lady, wait your turn !!!" - classic

7M very easy with buggy. Do feel tired today. not much sleep. Find it hard to get a good night sleep post a long run.

10M @ 7:30 pace today. Not much sleep last night as on the early shift at work. Not ideal. early night tonight.

Feeling tired.Took yesterday off. Did session today but pulled the plug after 20 mins of planned 35 mins tempo as stomach was upset. Need to figure out how to taper for the 10M in about 10 days time?

Took Friday off as feeling tired.

Did 5M easy on grass on Sat

6M easy @ around 7:40 and 6M at a good clip. After first night of sleep in 2 weeks feeling much better now.

Had an easy day Monday and did 5x1k @ 6:06 with around 90 sec recovery

Ran 10M race today. Felt bad. Was not well during the week. Pulled out at 4M. First DNF.
    Lets hope its like this.

Adriaaaaaaaan

Going back to basics.

Was sick for a few days post race. Would explain a lot.

Got back with 7M easy with 5 x100m strides on Thurs and 3M recovery today.
    Need to focus more on sleep etc.

7M easy on Sat
    10M easy on Sun with last mile @ MP ish

Rest today.
    Starting to feel normal again. Body is starting to relax again. Off to Killarney for a mid week break on Wed. Will go for a run in the national park, looking forward to that. Worn a bit of a track in the routes I do in Cork.

37M this week. Lots of easy running with a nice progression run on Sunday of 9 Miles. I am feeling like I am doing nothing. Been flogging a dead horse for too long :) Plan is build up nicely again rather than my normal madness.

• Advertisement

Another week down.Had a nice 2 easy, 1 HMP, 1 easy, 2 MP, 1 easy, 1 HMP,2 easy yesterday. Week will be 40M but have to move sat run to Monday due to work.

Good solid week.

M 7M easy
    T 7M easy with strides
    W 7M steady
    T 4M rec
    F 7M easy with strides
    Sat 2M @ easy, 2M steady, 2M MP, 1M HMP.
    Sun 12M easy

51 miles for the week. Feel very fresh.

Another week down of 50 miles. training going well.

So I am doing a parkrun on Sat. First race in a while. I am going to eat road.

Woke up this morning with a bad sore throat so pulled the plug on the park run. Best not to race sick when I don't need to.

So I was glued to the DCM thread today. With so many people I know and boards members taking part it hard not to get excited. When you know the work and dedication that they put in its a 3+ hr rollercoaster of emotion with countless sub-plots being played out. Its hard to keep track of it all. I would love to have been there watching the pure joy of someone achieving their goal and the angst of those who fall short. There is no marathon light. Everyone who starts and finishes covers the same 26.2 miles. Each have their own story, their own motivation but somehow we are all part of a collective that brings out the best in the human spirt. It really is the feeling of being alive. Some are marathon junkies who travel from city to city just to simple experience this rush, the excitement and butterflies before the start, the multiple trips to the loo just to be sure or other OCD ritual that people do to take their mind off the task at hand. They met strangers that turn into friends. Everyone is equal. There is no discrimination, hate etc because it simply takes up too much energy and is a complete waste of time.

If they are just looking to finish or looking for a PB each runner seeks unchartered waters in their athletic quest. The route is lined with well wishers who selfishly just want to steal a little bit of the atmosphere and bottle it, bring it home but in being there magnify the enjoyment for all those running. Everyone with a common goal to get from the start to the finish as fast as possible working together to get it done. Its how the world should work. And for a short few hours 1 day a year its how it works before we all go back to "normal". As we all know the competition is only with yourself but when you turn up on marathon day everyone is on your team. It's a beautiful thing.

Chest infection at the moment. Rather annoyed. Always seem to get sick. Off to Lanzarotte tomorrow for some sun. Not looking forward to the flight with a 3 year old that is as mad as a hatter and a 4 month old.

New York is on Sunday at 2:30 on Eurosport 2 so thats my Sunday afternoon sorted. Don't think I will find anywhere that will show it so it will be laptop viewing.

Running wise not much this week due to sickness. Short term goal is the Waterford half in Dec. No idea where I am in terms of fitness. We will just have to see. My half PB is very weak. Don't even know what it is tbh. Had to look it up. 1:27.56. Ran the first mile uphill at 6:15. Have been thinking in going out in 6.20 pace but I will know closer to the date.

Hate being sick. Went out for run today and had stomach cramps. It does seem to happen all too often that I have to take a pit stop. I don't know is it dehydration or something else. I do stay away from dairy prior to a run because of this but I have no idea what is causing it now. I know every public loo on my running loops at this stage.

So the longest break in running I have had for a long time, possibly a year I went back running last night. Did 7M easy @ 8-8:20 pace with a few strides at the end. Currently in Lanzarote so I always like running here. Felt good. Happy to be back. I am very prone to getting sick. 2-3 years ago I got my ear syringed and I didn't get as sick for a long time after that. Ear were blocked coming over on the flight so I may get it done again. It does mess with your balance some bit also but I know that with my ears being blocked I will just get sick again and again.

Advertisement