Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening today on Samuel Beckett Bridge?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

The bridge is closed all day today. There is filming going on, it's something music related from what I could glean yesterday from a reluctant guy with an ID badge.

The bridge is closed but not swung open, if you know what I mean. Right now they're building some kind of frame in the middle of it, like for a large tent or something.

It seems strange that on a day when there's a rail strike, they can close a major bridge for the whole day for what seems like a music video.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bah1011

Yesterday it was for a guineas commercial so it is probably the same today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

xabi_a wrote: »
    The bridge is closed all day today. There is filming going on, it's something music related from what I could glean yesterday from a reluctant guy with an ID badge.

The bridge is closed but not swung open, if you know what I mean. Right now they're building some kind of frame in the middle of it, like for a large tent or something.

It seems strange that on a day when there's a rail strike, they can close a major bridge for the whole day for what seems like a music video.

In fairness a Sunday is the best day to close it as its the quietest day for traffic. They cant plan around a rail strike and just reopen for this. Whoever got permission to get access to it and close it for the day Id imagine has put money into it in terms of paying for access and other people employed for the day. Why should they suffer due to Irish Rail taking a few days off.

Plenty of other bridges to get around town on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

They're shooting for TV until midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xabi_a

Yes they probably had good intentions when they planned it. But it still seems strange to be selling off part our major traffic infrastructure to a private company for a whole day. This bridge is quite busy on any normal Sunday, rail strike or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

bah1011 wrote: »
    Yesterday it was for a guineas commercial so it is probably the same today.

I heard it was closed for a U2 music video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Stuck in monster traffic for u2..... Not cool

Unbelievable that a key transport link was closed for U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Not U2 at all! Don't always believe the indo :)

Not U2 at all! Don't always believe the indo :)

Really? Who was it? They were also filling down by the 'U2 wall' beside there the old U2 studio was. U2 would seem logically correct to me.

• Advertisement

I believe there is a documentary/advert/something being filmed about music in Dublin or Ireland. That would explain filming at the U2 wall.

I was told this by 2 unconnected people, one of whom works for a film company. Of course it still could be BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xabi_a

With so much security and barriers erected I suspect it may indeed be U2

All the security are saying the exact same thing about a Guinness commercial, like they're reading from a script! The plot thickens.........

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

It is for an upcoming production "Summer Nights" as per the letter from the production company to companies in the area.

Pull the Trigger are the production company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

All the security are saying the exact same thing about a Guinness commercial, like they're reading from a script! The plot thickens.........

Maybe it IS The Script.............:pac:

The Irish Times have a new article on this here.
    The company behind a major film production which saw the Samuel Beckett Bridge in Dublin closed for almost 24 hours on Sunday has claimed it was making a video for “an up and coming band” by the name of Summer Nights.

This unknown band paid just 8,000 EUR to close a key transport bridge for the day. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

It's clearly not an upcoming band called 'Summer Nights' as they do not exist!

It could be a dramatic opening scene for Love/Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's clearly not an upcoming band called 'Summer Nights' as they do not exist!
    How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Nothing to do with love hate. In the distance I could see a guy in a leather jacket with a guitar hanging of him but as I got closer he was brought into the gazebo .

Music alright

• Advertisement

I can't find any mention of this band anywhere. They would need to be at least somewhat known in order to be up and coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I can't find any mention of this band anywhere. They would need to be at least somewhat known in order to be up and coming.

That's probably because it's U2 doing a New Order 'Crystal' video, a few years too late - proxy musicians standing in for their tired looking arses. Or something.

Very plausible theory.

I'm still going with Love/Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm still going with Love/Hate.
    The production company have nothing to do with Love/Hate. Pretty simple really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cactus World News reunion tour.

Advertisement