Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound: the super efficient private sector in action

Options
  • 24-08-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

As a career civil servant I have, along with my colleagues, had to grow a thick skin in order to ignore the snide comments and endless bullsh*t in the media about how every single one of us is incompetent, grossly overpaid, inefficient, and wouldn't last five minutes in the wonderful private sector which creates all the jobs. This morning I had a taste of how one particular service, formerly run by the public service, is now working under private management: Greyhound's waste collection service.

I live on an estate where the houses have no gardens so we have to use plastic bags for our waste. For ordinary waste we use black bags with a €3.50 sticker attached. The stickers can easily be purchased from any post office and some private retail outlets. For green waste, however, we have to buy Greyhound's bags which are only available from a limited number of shops. This morning I cycled to my nearest outlet to buy some, only to be told by the very nice young man behind the counter that they were out of stock and had ordered supplies THREE WEEKS AGO from Greyhound. Numerous phone calls to the company asking when the order will be delivered have been fruitless. This is not, apparently, a once off co*k up: the shop assistant went on to detail a litany of problems he and others have had with Greyhound's service.

So much for the super efficient, no bullsh*t, cut throat 21st century free market ethos which shows up those lazy ar*e public servants, eh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Everlong1 wrote: »
    As a career civil servant I have, along with my colleagues, had to grow a thick skin in order to ignore the snide comments and endless bullsh*t in the media about how every single one of us is incompetent, grossly overpaid, inefficient, and wouldn't last five minutes in the wonderful private sector which creates all the jobs. This morning I had a taste of how one particular service, formerly run by the public service, is now working under private management: Greyhound's waste collection service.

I live on an estate where the houses have no gardens so we have to use plastic bags for our waste. For ordinary waste we use black bags with a €3.50 sticker attached. The stickers can easily be purchased from any post office and some private retail outlets. For green waste, however, we have to buy Greyhound's bags which are only available from a limited number of shops. This morning I cycled to my nearest outlet to buy some, only to be told by the very nice young man behind the counter that they were out of stock and had ordered supplies THREE WEEKS AGO from Greyhound. Numerous phone calls to the company asking when the order will be delivered have been fruitless. This is not, apparently, a once off co*k up: the shop assistant went on to detail a litany of problems he and others have had with Greyhound's service.

So much for the super efficient, no bullsh*t, cut throat 21st century free market ethos which shows up those lazy ar*e public servants, eh?

You can change bin collector, we can't change public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

You have to buy bags for recycling? My recycling is free. Go to citibins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Since moving to the bog my refuse tag is €12.50 & recycling tag is €8. Keep it classy private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can change bin collector, we can't change public servants.

No you can't change your bin collector in Dublin if you use bin bags, you're stuck with greyhound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I have the bins and no issue with greyhound.

Didn't get a tax reduction when it was privatised so guess the council just kept the money to waste on their inefficiencies. Then forsed me to pay again for private waste collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm locking this because the opening post is a poorly disguised rant about public v private sector rather than a discussion on a consumer issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement