Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€950,000 for a semi-d in Clontarf

Options
  • 24-08-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

The Celtic Tiger has officially returned.

www . lisney . com/residential/94-Kincora-Grove-Clontarf-Dublin-3.aspx

Nice house and all but almost a million euro price tag? A similar property sold on that road 2 years ago for €495,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Glad I don't live in Dublin.

Unless of course I had a house to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Nice house and all but almost a million euro price tag? A similar property sold on that road 2 years ago for €495,000

Any similar properties that have sold on that road needed substantial amounts of work. Also, the property market has changed massively in the last 2 years around Dublin

ETA: Number 40 on that road is also for sale, dated an not extended and they're looking for €780k

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

They can ask for whatever price they want, what they actually sell for will give a better indication of the market..

They can ask for whatever price they want, what they actually sell for will give a better indication of the market..

I dont think they'll get 950, but I think they'll get around 900 if they take it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

And seven years ago probably sold for 800000. That's the market. Plenty money to be made if you buy low and sell high and there is a sucker coming along every minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

According to Daft that House was on Sale in August 2011 for 515000, so probably went for around 450K-480K.

http://www.daft.ie/price-register/dublin/clontarf/kincora-grove/

Depending on the work done a tidy profit to someone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€950k is nuts for that house imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I could never ever understand anybody paying a cent over 600k and getting a house thats attached to another house. At this pricepoint youd get a 5 bed on an acre in other, quite posh parts of dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I could never ever understand anybody paying a cent over 600k and getting a house thats attached to another house. At this pricepoint youd get a 5 bed on an acre in other, quite posh parts of dublin

some people like to have neighbors close by to wave to and admire each others new mercs and compliment on how well educated their spawn are, sure who'd be living on there own in a field ya big recluse.

Not that close to City Centre though. 10 minutes by bus. I'm not justifying the price btw, just saying

• Advertisement

Not that close to City Centre though. 10 minutes by bus. I'm not justifying the price btw, just saying

I doubt anybody who has 950k to drop on a house is concerned about the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Concerned about it driving up and down the street and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Ah Clontarf the south of france beside East Wall. Spiritedly elderly ladies wearing pearls and dolce and gabanna head scarfs adorn the promenade. Its a great place to visit, but you couldn't live in it!!

Westwood wrote: »
    Ah Clontarf the south of france beside East Wall. Spiritedly elderly ladies wearing pearls and dolce and gabanna head scarfs adorn the promenade. Its a great place to visit, but you couldn't live in it!!

I preffer to call it east fairview , gets some right perturbed looks down at the yacht.

I grew up in that area, and I can safely tell you that most of the people who spent big money on that road travel to work by DART or bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

At this pricepoint youd get a 5 bed on an acre in other, quite posh parts of dublin

No you wouldn't.

^^^^^^

All of those are very far out of the city centre - they'd be far, far higher in price if they were in Clontarf's location.

Tarzana wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

All of those are very far out of the city centre - they'd be far, far higher in price if they were in Clontarf's location.

one of them there in castleknock , 10km , 18 minutes drive to oconnell street, that house in clontarf is 5km from oconnell street . Im not doubting its a close location , but sure so is fairview and youd pay an awful lot less for a 3 bed semi there too.

if your into posh areas/ postcode envy , this is still a pretty crap deal when you can get castleknock , portmarnock and even blackrock cheaper than this .

if your into short commute times this isnt that short , its still 5k to the city centre really.

Not trying to knock clontarf but its 5km out of the city center , the coast road can be a nightmare for traffic, like glasnevin its a nice area that happens to be right beside a pretty rough area and it doesnt have the south dublin snob factor adding to the price . a 3 bed semi will never be worth what these people are asking, complete and utter lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Closeness to the city is not a reason for house prices in Dublin. It's about post code snobbery.

That won't sell. The only possible buyers are cash buyers and rent in Dublin is divorced from post code snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

one of them there in castleknock , 10km , 18 minutes drive to oconnell street, that house in clontarf is 5km from oconnell street . Im not doubting its a close location , but sure so is fairview and youd pay an awful lot less for a 3 bed semi there too.

if your into posh areas/ postcode envy , this is still a pretty crap deal when you can get castleknock , portmarnock and even blackrock cheaper than this .

if your into short commute times this isnt that short , its still 5k to the city centre really.

Not trying to knock clontarf but its 5km out of the city center , the coast road can be a nightmare for traffic, like glasnevin its a nice area that happens to be right beside a pretty rough area and it doesnt have the south dublin snob factor adding to the price . a 3 bed semi will never be worth what these people are asking, complete and utter lunacy.

I really don't get clontarf. It doesn't really have anything going for it more than anywhere close to the coast road. Even the dart station is too far away to be much use for much of clontarf.

I really don't get clontarf. It doesn't really have anything going for it more than anywhere close to the coast road. Even the dart station is too far away to be much use for much of clontarf.

this :
    5bfa0273-e577-469c-8916-5468abee9b3f.jpg
    121227_LUXEX_Monocle.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

meanwhile 500 meters down the road in fairview.
    DSC01374_large.jpg?picture=37105
    chav1.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks just a gentle reminder that you're in A&P, can you try keep the posts relevant and on topic. If you want to post funny pictures we have a forum for that here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I could never ever understand anybody paying a cent over 600k and getting a house thats attached to another house

Community. It's an old pre-celtic tiger notion! ;) I live in an end of terrace and we do weird things like keep an eye out for each other, kids play together, we have bbq's etc... we respect each others privacy and live in harmony!
    I really don't get clontarf. It doesn't really have anything going for it more than anywhere close to the coast road

The coast and being close to it is a huge draw, aside from the mature area, restaurants, yacht club, rugby/cricket club, beach, bull island, good pubs, massive park close by (in Raheny when there's a mugging, Clontaf when there's a festival :D). It's a fairly desirable place to live in. Classic leafy, quiet suburb with good public transport to the close by (but not too close!) city centre.

Hopefully there'll be good karma, the sellers and buyers are happy!

If we're going on "poshness" Clontarf is easily considered posher than Portmarnock, on a par with Blackrock, plus is much more central. Maybe not Castleknock, the most overrated suburb of Dublin.

Clontarf is lovely, and actually, so is Fairview. I'd love to live in either place. I'd happily live in them over Portmarnock and Castleknock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

DubDani wrote: »
    According to Daft that House was on Sale in August 2011 for 515000, so probably went for around 450K-480K.

http://www.daft.ie/price-register/dublin/clontarf/kincora-grove/

Depending on the work done a tidy profit to someone.

No 515k is the property price register price. It looks like a lot of money has been spent on it since then. Kincora Grove is a very busy rat run in the morning for traffic trying to avoid the worst of the Howth road. I guess it's quiet most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I'd definitely rather this http://www.daft.ie/sales/9-frankfort-park-dundrum-dublin/992872/.

Certainly price wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having rented there for the last five years or so, the price doesn't surprise me at all and tbh, I'd expect them to get close to asking. Property doesn't stay on the market long in Clontarf and it's genuinely a lovely place to live. There's a sense of community which is rare to find in Dublin, next to no crime, you can leave the children outside to play without worrying about them, the natural ammenities are fantastic (St Annes, the Prom, Bull Wall), the schools are excellent, it's close to city centre and most of the real money there is old so you get far less of the "D4" wankery than you'd get in areas that aren't even as nice in South Dublin.

It's a lovely area now where the moneyed have the grace to be discreet about it. Sure, they may have a "small boat" in the yacht club, holiday 3 times a year etc but there's no airs and graces with them: they drive nice cars that they change every 7-10 years rather than getting into the reg-plate one-upmanship of Ireland's Celtic Tiger success stories, order Guinness / Jameson / Gin & Tonic / Wine in the local where they know everyone and don't feel the need to insist on Bombay Saphire, the Glenlivet, a Beaujolais Premier Ecru etc. They probably enjoy a drop of the better stuff every now and then and keep the local O' Briens and McHugh's off-licences in business but they don't let the brand-names of the expensive stuff form any part of their personalities.

I can see that changing over the next 20/30 years as many of the current residents die out and are replaced by those that are buying into the area at the moment. The school gates are already clogged with the gleaming Range Rover Sports of the "girlos"* dropping off Tarquin and Persephone on their way to pilates / Bay for breakfast. I genuinely love the place but can see my own generation (and those perhaps 5/10 years older) ruining it. It might be a generational thing, or maybe it's just the circles I've moved in since living there but I like the type of people that don't judge me on my 10 year old Mondeo, the fact that I'm a tennant but instead on my words, actions and that my children have excellent manners. (*that is honestly how some of these women, in their early 40's, refer to each other!)

Were I in the position to speculate on property, I'd be buying up as much of Fairview/Killester as I can. Location wise it's got most of what Clontarf has (although a bit too close to the city centre) but the price tags are far more affordable and, from what I'm seeing, a lot of those that were raised in Clontarf but whom are utterly priced out of the area are beginning to gentrify these areas somewhat. It's no more than a gut feeling (and, as such, probably a terrible basis for investment) but I can't help but see Fairview as more likely to become "Clontarf West" than vice-versa as suggested by Eric Cartman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Sleepy wrote: »
    Having rented there for the last five years or so, the price doesn't surprise me at all and tbh, I'd expect them to get close to asking. Property doesn't stay on the market long in Clontarf and it's genuinely a lovely place to live. There's a sense of community which is rare to find in Dublin, next to no crime, you can leave the children outside to play without worrying about them, the natural ammenities are fantastic (St Annes, the Prom, Bull Wall), the schools are excellent, it's close to city centre and most of the real money there is old so you get far less of the "D4" wankery than you'd get in areas that aren't even as nice in South Dublin.

It's a lovely area now where the moneyed have the grace to be discreet about it. Sure, they may have a "small boat" in the yacht club, holiday 3 times a year etc but there's no airs and graces with them: they drive nice cars that they change every 7-10 years rather than getting into the reg-plate one-upmanship of Ireland's Celtic Tiger success stories, order Guinness / Jameson / Gin & Tonic / Wine in the local where they know everyone and don't feel the need to insist on Bombay Saphire, the Glenlivet, a Beaujolais Premier Ecru etc. They probably enjoy a drop of the better stuff every now and then and keep the local O' Briens and McHugh's off-licences in business but they don't let the brand-names of the expensive stuff form any part of their personalities.

I can see that changing over the next 20/30 years as many of the current residents die out and are replaced by those that are buying into the area at the moment. The school gates are already clogged with the gleaming Range Rover Sports of the "girlos"* dropping off Tarquin and Persephone on their way to pilates / Bay for breakfast. I genuinely love the place but can see my own generation (and those perhaps 5/10 years older) ruining it. It might be a generational thing, or maybe it's just the circles I've moved in since living there but I like the type of people that don't judge me on my 10 year old Mondeo, the fact that I'm a tennant but instead on my words, actions and that my children have excellent manners. (*that is honestly how some of these women, in their early 40's, refer to each other!)

Were I in the position to speculate on property, I'd be buying up as much of Fairview/Killester as I can. Location wise it's got most of what Clontarf has (although a bit too close to the city centre) but the price tags are far more affordable and, from what I'm seeing, a lot of those that were raised in Clontarf but whom are utterly priced out of the area are beginning to gentrify these areas somewhat. It's no more than a gut feeling (and, as such, probably a terrible basis for investment) but I can't help but see Fairview as more likely to become "Clontarf West" than vice-versa as suggested by Eric Cartman.

I lived out there five years ago. Its a nice area but there is a world of difference once you cross the dart line to Fairview.
    Its not that bad but definatly rougher. If you get the bus in and out youll notice it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've in-laws living in Marino and would regularly be in Fairview and I can definitely notice the difference. it just seems a really obvious candidate for gentrification over the next decade or so as the city centre is let spiral into decay and the leafier suburbs become more and more unaffordable for those who grew up there. As you say, while Fairview is rougher than Clontarf it's still far from bad and I'm noticing a number of those who grew up in Clontarf starting to buy there.

It's never going to be an over-night thing, nor, indeed would I ever expect prices in the area to match those of properties in Clontarf but I do see strong potential for it to become the "cheap end" of Clontarf over a couple of decades and ergo to present strong potential for capital growth.

Advertisement