Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€950,000 for a semi-d in Clontarf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I lived out there five years ago. Its a nice area but there is a world of difference once you cross the dart line to Fairview.
    Its not that bad but definatly rougher. If you get the bus in and out youll notice it more.

Agree with this, and the vast majority of the post above. Clontarf was my favorite place to live in Dublin bar none. It is old money and isn't dangled in your face, people are quietly wealthy drive oldish cars, and are nice.
    I used to love the bar side of the yacht, in for a pint after work and everyone'd talk to you, it was and still is I'm sure great.

Bull Island is a great amenity, and so is St Anne's. Nope can absolutely understand wanting to live there, of course if you live on the seafront that really helps.

It's a great spot, fairview down the road isn't, there really is no comparison between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Tarzana wrote: »
    If we're going on "poshness" Clontarf is easily considered posher than Portmarnock, on a par with Blackrock, plus is much more central. Maybe not Castleknock, the most overrated suburb of Dublin.

Clontarf is lovely, and actually, so is Fairview. I'd love to live in either place. I'd happily live in them over Portmarnock and Castleknock.

hey hey less of the Portmarnock bashing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Before moving to our current home, we lived in Clontarf for 3 years on Oulton Road.

The house sizes are great, as are the gardens, but the close proximity to the sea was always a worry. There's no way I'd drop major coinage on a house there (if I had the coinage of course!) due to this.

There was some major flooding in the time we lived there and I wouldn't fancy that risk long term.

The place was also absolutely freezing in the colder months. You'd get crazy winds coming in from the sea. Standing at the bus stop at 6:30am in the morning in that weather was something else :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Before moving to our current home, we lived in Clontarf for 3 years on Oulton Road.

The house sizes are great, as are the gardens, but the close proximity to the sea was always a worry. There's no way I'd drop major coinage on a house there (if I had the coinage of course!) due to this.

There was some major flooding in the time we lived there and I wouldn't fancy that risk long term.

The place was also absolutely freezing in the colder months. You'd get crazy winds coming in from the sea. Standing at the bus stop at 6:30am in the morning in that weather was something else :eek:

Dunno, I like the sea so do a lot of people thus the premium for seafront property all over the globe, granted there's been floods, but I think the summers there more than make up for any cold weather in the winter. Give me that any day over the dreariness of Dundrum, Churchtown or Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Spider wrote: »
    Dunno, I like the sea so do a lot of people thus the premium for seafront property all over the globe, granted there's been floods, but I think the summers there more than make up for any cold weather in the winter. Give me that any day over the dreariness of Dundrum, Churchtown or Stillorgan.

I love the sea too myself and would always live close to it, however I need to be elevated. Will never buy anywhere that could flood as a rule. Some people aren't bothered by this, but it definitely bothers me. I didn't realize how much until I lived there a while.

Somewhere nice in Dun Laoghaire where the houses are elevated and you're not literally living on the seabed would suit me better.

Weather wise, I just found from living there with the Irish climate wasn't very pleasant for a good chunk of the year.

For ever 1 sunny day we had there, we probably had at least 2-3 where we were battling the cold/ sea winds/rain getting to work. (that's on public transport mind you with the rest of the povs :D I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad with a car)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I love the sea too myself and would always live close to it, however I need to be elevated. Will never buy anywhere that could flood as a rule. Some people aren't bothered by this, but it definitely bothers me. I didn't realize how much until I lived there a while.

Somewhere nice in Dun Laoghaire where the houses are elevated and you're not literally living on the seabed would suit me better.

Weather wise, I just found from living there with the Irish climate wasn't very pleasant for a good chunk of the year.

For ever 1 sunny day we had there, we probably had at least 2-3 where we were battling the cold/ sea winds/rain getting to work. (that's on public transport mind you with the rest of the povs :D I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad with a car)

Yeah, a car's needed, dunno Dun Laoighre wouldn't be for me, used to have a mate lived there and called it Fun Laoighre ironically, too built up, and too many businesses closed down.

However if I had a few quid and didn't have to earn a living this would be for me, hey it's elevated and sea views.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/creadan-bay-house-dunmore-east-waterford-city-co-waterford/1955582

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

However if I had a few quid and didn't have to earn a living this would be for me, hey it's elevated and sea views.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/creadan-bay-house-dunmore-east-waterford-city-co-waterford/1955582

Are you Paulie from the Soprano's?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

There was an article in the Irish Times a few weeks ago about this house. They paid about 500k for it but have spent a lot of money on it. The back garden is north facing but it isn't overlooked as it backs on to the lane to the rugby club. Saying that, 950k is a lot of money for a semi-d. This one had the same asking price and is now sale agreed. Went on the market at the same time roughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

It's a great spot, fairview down the road isn't, there really is no comparison between the two.

I'd disagree, Fairview is lovely plus great location (better than Clontarf in some ways), and I can't understand an upside to an area being that people are wealthy but not showy. :confused: How could that possibly make a difference to my life?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For me, it's a couple of things. It's certainly not true of all, and I've met self made multi-millionaires who were far from the following description but the nouveau riche (or even more noticeably, their spouses) tend to have a rather over-inflated sense of self worth. This class of people insist on bragging about their wealth constantly, tend to be loud, brash, obnoxious, self-entitled and demanding. Not traits I like to find in those in my local, nor those I want to deal with in local clubs, shops etc.

More importantly, this class of people's habit of looking down on others who've not done as well / been as lucky in life tend to rub off on their precious little darlings who then become the kids that bully schoolmates for not having the latest designer gear etc. A class of child I'm even less fond of being near my own than those from the likes of "rougher" areas like Fairview where a one-off schoolyard scrap tends to be the end of any attempts to bully (and lets face it, it's a lot easier to teach a child to throw a punch than to be quick witted in a slagging match).

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    I'd disagree, Fairview is lovely plus great location (better than Clontarf in some ways), and I can't understand an upside to an area being that people are wealthy but not showy. :confused: How could that possibly make a difference to my life?

Personal taste really, I've lived close enough to fairview to know it can be a bit dodge, the main attractions to Clontarf as said, beside the sea, bull island etc,

The reference to wealthy people was that it's a different kind of wealth than you find south side, in general.

Fair view I don't like and I never will, personal taste. Again it depends on what you want, and what you find appealing.

Obviously lots of people find Clontarf appealing otherwise you couldn't price an average house at 950 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Personal taste really, I've lived close enough to fairview to know it can be a bit dodge, the main attractions to Clontarf as said, beside the sea, bull island etc,

The reference to wealthy people was that it's a different kind of wealth than you find south side, in general.

Fair view I don't like and I never will, personal taste. Again it depends on what you want, and what you find appealing.

Obviously lots of people find Clontarf appealing otherwise you couldn't price an average house at 950 grand.

Fairview is the perfect distance from the sea, IMO. Yeah, people love being by the sea, but it brings its own problems (Maintenance issues etc.) plus as someone else said, being near water in wintertime is miserable and cold. Anyway, as someone who grew up close to amazing atlantic coast beaches, the Irish Sea doesn't excite me. :pac:

Both suburbs are great, lovely housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The Celtic Tiger has officially returned.

www . lisney . com/residential/94-Kincora-Grove-Clontarf-Dublin-3.aspx

Nice house and all but almost a million euro price tag? A similar property sold on that road 2 years ago for €495,000

I suspect it's not really for sale.

Advertisement