Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that the 'Tiger' is on its way back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

fartman wrote: »
    Cool i can buy a €20 underpants know and not the cheap 3 pk ones from pennys ...

Armani jocks.;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

fartman wrote: »
    Cool i can buy a €20 underpants know and not the cheap 3 pk ones from pennys ...

With a username like yours, you'd go through them expensive ones too quick. Boom boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Johngoose wrote: »
    Let's start pouring concrete again and get ourselves out of the recession. Electricians and bricklayers will be earning more than doctors again soon.Give us ten good years and we'll start the cycle all over again... Boom,bust,boom,bust,boom...

tick tick tick BOOM!

mikemac1 wrote: »

I'll know the tiger is back when my ears are assaulted by souped up little Starlets and Glanzas.
    When about 20 of them queue up at the drive through in MC,D's or BK and then all park up in the car park then I'll know its back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

When Irish emigrants start coming back,get the for sale sign ready for your house... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I can't wait til I can start throwing my change in the bin at shops again

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

Export wrote: »
    With a username like yours, you'd go through them expensive ones too quick. Boom boom.
    not anymore kid no more beans on toast for me

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I ordered chinese last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I ordered chinese last night.

Labour or food?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

c_man wrote:
    I can't wait til I can start throwing my change in the bin at shops again

you threw your change in the bin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 tv_dinner

Let's start pouring concrete again and get ourselves out of the recession. Electricians and bricklayers will be earning more than doctors again soon.Give us ten good years and we'll start the cycle all over again... Boom,bust,boom,bust,boom...

electricans and bricklayers were earning less than guards during the boom , let alone doctors

they were earning great money but the exaggeration needs to end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

mphalo1 wrote: »

Hell yeah. I'm not a pov. Anyways, you can't roll up a coin. Eh?? ;) *taps nose*

anncoates wrote: »
    Something about decking.

Something about an apartment in Bulgaria.

Something about credit cards.

Something about not living beyond my means.

Please thank this post.

Thx.

Hot tub on the deck, overlooking the remaining 2 metres of garden.

Candie wrote:
    Hot tub on the deck, overlooking the remaining 2 metres of garden.

and a ride on to mow it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The SINDO thinks we are in eating lobster in 5 star restaurants.
    Ireland is a spending nation once again as Celtic Phoenix rises

Irish consumers are back in the groove and splashing out on luxury motors, 
five-star holidays and Blue Lobster in some of the country's top restaurants

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ireland-is-a-spending-nation-once-again-as-celtic-phoenix-rises-30531688.html#sthash.MN6ESqk2.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

A lot construction companies looking to get their monthly credit limits pushed up by as much 50k, is a big sign .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh no one will be seen dead shopping in Lidl soon enough!

I've noticed the queues in Dunnes and Tescos getting much longer these days and my local Aldi is getting quieter.

Having said that.. I'm going to keep shopping in Aldi even if we do have another Boom.. the food is nicer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

mphalo1 wrote: »

Honest to God, I have a friend that does that. He just throws away anything less than 50c. At least he used to anyway, haven't mentioned it in a while. It's sickening, at least give it to charity. Or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Labour or food?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

farmers arriving to church in new avensis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If people learned anything in the last six years. It should be the ability to see past the hype, the bullshít and read between the lines.

So this phrase below.......
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The god-awful phrase "get on the ladder" is making a return

Really means..."Hurry, hurry, hurry and grab your own personal noose."

Breakfast roll brigade beginning to emerge from the shadows...

Some of us never stopped eating them, just horsed one down now to try fight the hangover. Lovely stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

people are not burning their rubbish as much out the garden.
    fine gale/fail collection buckets outside church again

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

In all seriousness though I was completely shocked coming through town on the bus on Thursday at how packed it was.

There was a stretch there for a year or two where the place was like a ghost town during the week.

Was also jammers yesterday (though that might have something to do with a gaa match or something?)

there has been a huge increase of traffic on the n11 if that stands for anything , I think it does have to do with workers comuting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The recession killed off the boyracer brigade.

No longer could lads quit school at 16 and pull an extremely good wage labouring on sites

I'll know the tiger is back when my ears are assaulted by souped up little Starlets and Glanzas.

I drive around slumped down in the seat with my hood up and and a breakfast roll on the dash in their memory. Tiger never left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If people learned anything in the last six years. It should be the ability to see past the hype, the bullshít and read between the lines.

Prior to the last few years I would have agreed with you - now though I'm not so sure...

As I've said on this site before, I too got the calls every few weeks from the bank offering me loans for pretty much anything I wanted ("are you SURE there's nothing? Maybe a holiday? Do up the house") or telling me that I'd been pre-approved for nearly half a million in a mortgage

However as I was happy living where I was (close to work and friends and 20 mins from any entertainment I could have wanted), I didn't see the appeal of moving out to the middle of nowhere and spending 3/4 hours a day trekking back n forth for the privilege. Plus I worried about what might happen if things changed - how would I afford it then?

So I said no to the offers of "loadsa money" and limited myself to a small car loan (<10k) so as not to have to spend 2 hours on buses every day doing a trip that takes 25 mins on the M50

But, when things went bad and I was made redundant, times got tough fast and the first calls I made were to the bank and utility companies to restructure things - not fun, but as I saw it it had to be done so that everyone would still be paid something and I could have enough left while I found another job... which a year later I finally did and even though it meant doing that long commute (I'd since moved out of Dublin) I did it as a way to get back into the workforce and finally - 4 years on - it's slowly starting to pay off.

However, looking back I think that actually I was an idiot.. instead of dealing with rents and cutting back and what not, I SHOULD have taken all the free money I could get and bought the house, the new car, the holidays etc, and instead of begging for leniency with my creditors I should have just said "meh, I don't have it.. I was misled by the government/friends/estate agents .. it wasn't MY fault anyway!"

Why? Because I've ended up paying for those mistakes anyway through higher taxation, wage cuts, charges/levies and a higher cost of living generally.. especially in the last 12-18 months!

So when the calls from the banks inevitably start again, THIS time I think I will take everything I can get because I've come to the conclusion that NOT "going mad", NOT over-extending yourself, and try to do things "right" in this country just leaves you exposed to being screwed over more for those who didn't worry about such trivialities!! ("bondholders" and fellow citizens alike!)

So feck it, sign me up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

There was a recession?

/smug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

There was a recession?

So it seems. There's anecdotal evidence here for it having happened. You know yourself though, never believe anything you read on the internet. Could be bull..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This is the best thread I've read on boards in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There was a recession?
    They must have stopped giving out free newspapers in the Civil Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I took a dump and flushed the toilet straight away instead of letting the bangers and mash build up to save water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

smash wrote: »
    This was hardly ever a sign of the good times. Decking costs fcuk all.

It was. It might not cost much but in Ireland's climate is fairly impractical and that's what made it Celtic Tigerish. It needs a lot of maintenance.

Having said that, I don't see why decking gets such a hard time, it looks quite nice, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Dublin & London property markets are being inflated by cash heavy investors.

You'd want to be a mentalist to be taking a mortgage out in the midst of that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Aidric wrote: »
    The Dublin & London property markets are being inflated by cash heavy investors.

You'd want to be a mentalist to be taking a mortgage out in the midst of that imo.

Rents are higher than mortgage repayments in many areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The banks are still not lending. Nor will they for a long time except to people with savings. Any houses bought for 500k+ are going to cash buyers. The oldies with money. How long that lasts is open to debate but the idea that it will last long term is as crazy, if not crazier, than the previous boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Folks were spewing that type of rhetoric in 2012 at the bottom of the market. People who bought then are now laughing their arses off.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Folks were spewing that type of rhetoric in 2012 at the bottom of the market. People who bought then are now laughing their arses off.

God almighty. Have you forgotten the last 6 FCUKING YEARS.

If this country undergoes another collapse because of house prices I urge everybody to leave rather than pay more taxes to bail out morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

God almighty. Have you forgotten the last 6 FCUKING YEARS.

If this country undergoes another collapse because of house prices I urge everybody to leave rather than pay more taxes to bail out morons.

Seems you misunderstood my post, I'm just stating facts. Many people bought houses in 2012 at 50% what they were going for previously. Many of them have risen again dramatically since.

So buying then most definitely wasn't a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The local Spar is advertising for full-time deli staff...sh*t you not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Let the boys play.

Tarzana wrote: »
    It was. It might not cost much but in Ireland's climate is fairly impractical and that's what made it Celtic Tigerish. It needs a lot of maintenance.

Having said that, I don't see why decking gets such a hard time, it looks quite nice, IMO.
    But how much of the stuff installed a decade ago still looks good today?

I was in the shop the other day and there was a builder in front of me buying a chicken fillet roll.
    After he paid he threw his change in the bin.
    Just like the good old days.

And who bought then? The average joe soap wasn't getting a sniff of a mortgage.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

xzanti wrote: »
    I've noticed the queues in Dunnes and Tescos getting much longer these days and my local Aldi is getting quieter.

Having said that.. I'm going to keep shopping in Aldi even if we do have another Boom.. the food is nicer imo.

Fair balls to you. I'm doing the same. Plus I like the surprise I get in Aldi when I reach the beer section. I usually grab some bottles of German pilsner like Perlenbacher but often there is a new beer there with some lovely label on it of a castle or an Alpine lodge or something with some strange name like Wolfganghausen or Eintrachfukten so I grab a few of them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

They didn't want to know then and they won't want to know now, Just sit back shut up and watch it all turn to tears yet again..

And who bought then? The average joe soap wasn't getting a sniff of a mortgage.
    I would hazard a guess that many were bought by "investors" who will rent them out and sell them on when the market has risen enough.

Much of the "property boom" is investor driven, the trick is for punters to see the scam for what it is and not buy at the next top and wait till they drop again.

Which it will if no one takes the bait!

Seems you misunderstood my post, I'm just stating facts. Many people bought houses in 2012 at 50% what they were going for previously. Many of them have risen again dramatically since.

So buying then most definitely wasn't a bad thing.

It might yet be a bad thing. It might be even worse to buy now. Hindsight is 20/20

They didn't want to know then and they won't want to know now, Just sit back shut up and watch it all turn to tears yet again..

This time though it's mainly cash investors. So we can't really be asked to bail them out. Can we?

I would hazard a guess that many were bought by "investors" who will rent them out and sell them on when the market has risen enough.

Much of the "property boom" is investor driven, the trick is for punters to see the scam for what it is and not buy at the next top and wait till they drop again.

Which it will if no one takes the bait!

That was exactly the point I made but seems to have been missed by the poster I quoted. If you are not able to determine fair market value than you deserve all the hardship you get coming down the thin end of the bubble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement