Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that the 'Tiger' is on its way back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So when the calls from the banks inevitably start again, THIS time I think I will take everything I can get because I've come to the conclusion that NOT "going mad", NOT over-extending yourself, and try to do things "right" in this country just leaves you exposed to being screwed over more for those who didn't worry about such trivialities!! ("bondholders" and fellow citizens alike!)

So feck it, sign me up!

But you'd have to pay all those increased taxes either way, so if you overextend yourself, you have overextended AND have the increased costs we all have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If it means more jobs, people being generally happier and not falling into the same trap as before of living off credit and racking up debt then happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Egginacup wrote: »
    ...or something with some strange name like Wolfganghausen or Eintrachfukten so I grab a few of them too.
    Gotta love German pron...

Aidric wrote: »
    The Dublin & London property markets are being inflated by cash heavy investors.

You'd want to be a mentalist to be taking a mortgage out in the midst of that imo.

I'd prefer to get mortgaged to the hilt in London than Dublin, TBH. They're not comparable, London is an alpha city which people will continue to be drawn to, it's its own little universe.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Rents are higher than mortgage repayments in many areas.

For now, this chops and changes.

But how much of the stuff installed a decade ago still looks good today?

Weathered wood looks lovely, at least to my eyes. It's that 'silvering' Kevin McCloud is always going on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

How can you say there are signs the Tiger is on its way back?

He's not even in the Ryder Cup team. His back's fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigGombeen

Deals on patio heaters in B&Q. Cant understand them, its basically just pissing money into the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

The god-awful phrase "get on the ladder" is making a return

Yep.. Celtic Tiger 2 is well underway and we haven't learned a thing!

Yes! A few people at work are buying houses at the moment because "prices are going up". Even those who bought houses during the boom and had to sell them at a huge loss are thinking of buying again.

Aidric wrote: »
    That was exactly the point I made but seems to have been missed by the poster I quoted. If you are not able to determine fair market value than you deserve all the hardship you get coming down the thin end of the bubble.
    The poster that you responded to might just be one of those "investors" he needs the market to rise some more.

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yes! A few people at work are buying houses at the moment because "prices are going up". Even those who bought houses during the boom and had to sell them at a huge loss are thinking of buying again.
    Queuing up for a second fleecing! WTF!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Gotta love German pron...

You should see me when they get in a consignment of Gutenwanken Stark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The Celtic Phoenix is going to be bigger and better than the Tiger.

No chicken fillet regrets this time round......a pulled pork bap is the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Tiger Woods is currently injured and is taking time out to work on his fitness in the gym. I think he`ll win another major but doubt he will break Jack's record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The Celtic Phoenix is going to be bigger and better than the Tiger.

No chicken fillet regrets this time round......a pulled pork bap is the future.
    This.

I have been saying for a while that the popularity of pulled pork this boom time is the equivalent of hot chicken during the last boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Queuing up for a second fleecing! WTF!
    Well, the idea is to buy at the "bottom" of the market, and get out at the "top". Now all you have to do is:
    1. identify when the "top" has been reached;
    2. be ready to sell (no pesky tenants etc.);
    3. find a willing and able buyer who hasn't heard about the "top" (otherwise they would just wait);
    4. do that before everyone else spots the "top" and tries to do the exact same as you.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Prices are going up in certain area,s of dublin, where people want to live,
    supply and demand ,
    very few houses are being built.
    I,ll know the tiger is back when people ,start buying houses in kerry,or westmeath,
    ah sure its only an hour from dublin.
    TO bring back the celtic tiger we need banks to lend anyone 150k to buy a house in cavan,or clare. all over the country.
    That,s very unlikely .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Not back until you can top-up a top-up loan that you topped up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Fad food toppings for the recently flush gormless.

Lemongrass & Chili/Raspberry Coulis/Pesto.. all at once, to be in! ..drizzled with aloof panache over your Lobster and Lavender Risotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When theres letters from the bank in the letterbox, every month,
    do you need a loan,credit card,
    do you want a 100 per cent mortgage?
    then we,ll know its back.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

I suppose we can only that people won't swallow the hyped shyte next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Tarzana wrote: »
    I don't see why decking gets such a hard time, it looks quite nice, IMO.

Probably because it belongs in a country that actually gets sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Putin wrote: »
    Probably because it belongs in a country that actually gets sunshine.

Which Ireland does far more than the people who moan about the weather let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geret

mphalo1 wrote: »
    and a ride on to mow it

povo

do you not have a gardener?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

rosser doesn't have to empty tampie bins anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The recession killed off the boyracer brigade.

No longer could lads quit school at 16 and pull an extremely good wage labouring on sites

I'll know the tiger is back when my ears are assaulted by souped up little Starlets and Glanzas.

It's already started.

Plant hire businesses are busy again.There's vans,dumpers & jcb's on the move once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Signs that the 'tiger' is back?

Well there's a shop called tiger everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't know about celtic tiger coming back, but property market just going in to pure madness.
    Last year there were 120 houses to rent in my town. Now there are 15 houses... Demand for houses just mad. Estate agent said that houses sell like hot pancakes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Pint of tiger 6.70 in Sam sara last night, things must be on the up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

This seriously worries me, things have been in a kind of a lull period for a while and people take it from that things are on the way back but there have been some worrying signs from across Europe in recent weeks which have gone under the radar. Given our debt levels and exposure to external events this recovery looks to me like its built on sand and is primarily a Dublin based recovery.

Its great there is more positivity about but if the last few years have though us anything its that we should thread carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

geret wrote: »
    povo

do you not have a gardener?

There are no gardeners in today's world, they were all upgraded to landscapers during the last tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What exactly is causing the property market to boom? :confused:
    There are still alot of people unemployed. Alot of people left the country. The live figures are being 'massaged' (ha, nice word) because of internships out there, etc.

Now I aint no property expert. So I am only having a stab at this.. but it's just pure greed and the domino effect, right?
    Like at the start of the year with the reports stating that the sales of property picked up by a few percent. Which in turn made average-joe-landlord go "I can get another 100 for my place now!" - Which in turn made people think they should get on the property ladder now or else "get stung"

Farmers looking for extra handouts
    Junkies having new Nike
    More prawn sandwichers heading to old Trafford
    And of course the immigrants heading back for the easy payouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

During the last few years the M50 was much quieter. Its getting back to the boom levels now. Feck.

I suppose we can only that people won't swallow the hyped shyte next time around.
    Most won't, But there is a new generation who weren’t bitten in the arse by the tiger last time around who are lining up as feed for the next downturn.

the FF tent getting a power wash for ballybrit next year

They will, Vlad.

The ones who were stitched up the last time are too knackered to fight. The next fleecing is aimed at those who are now 25 but were 16 and drinking in fields the last time.

A bunch of cookie cutter 3-bed jobs were knocked up on Grace Park Road in the last 6 months. No front garden and sloping driveway down to the road. Nothing special. And hit the market at 485k.

ALL SOLD!!!!!

And not even completed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Customers in LIDL in Terenure have gone back to putting their shopping in Superquinn and Donnybrook Fair bags for life. I saw 3 people do it in a few minutes last Wednesday.

• Advertisement

There are still alot of people unemployed. Alot of people left the country. The live figures are being 'massaged' (ha, nice word) because of internships out there, etc.

Now I aint no property expert. So I am only having a stab at this.. but it's just pure greed and the domino effect, right?
    Like at the start of the year with the reports stating that the sales of property picked up by a few percent. Which in turn made average-joe-landlord go "I can get another 100 for my place now!" - Which in turn made people think they should get on the property ladder now or else "get stung"

It's called speculation, B.A.. A house that was valued at 500k 7 years ago was valued at 150k 2 years later. That same sh*tbox is now back up to 300k purely because people say it is.
    500k could buy you a beautiful chateau with your own lake, stables, a vinyard, some forest and 15 bedrooms in Belgium yet one is expected to puke that out for a dump in Park West where your neighbours are basically bills hitting the floor in an empty box.

But there's no Spar or Supermacs in Liege so fcuk it! Those oysters and galleries just ain't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Signs it's coming back? Look at the papers - Rising house prices, new bank account openings and 50,000 jobs, and thousands of new homes to be built to meet demand in South Dublin?

For the record, I will need to be physically restrained - bound and locked in a room - should the Celtic Kitten start purring again

I'l draw down all the loans and sign all the guarantees. In a Henry Seller's style breakdown, I will run down Grafton Street covered in fifty euro notes screaming "I am the Celtic Tiger."

... I'll invest in doomed hotel projects before going on weekend shopping trips to New York. Golf on a Tuesday afternoon. I'll spending thousands on kitsch crap and permanently being a state of 'getting the round in' .... Bulgaria - I'll have some of that please. 60 euro mineral water - yes. All of it.

ALL OF IT!

and when boom turns to bust...
    ...when the line of credit stops and theres no coke to cure the hangover.. I'll read one of David McWilliam's books and remind myself that I had the the absolute craic

Bill cullen telling ssang yong to go and ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

Huge amount of people in mortgage arrears, who just can't afford the €400k mortgage they took out in 2006 for a 3-bed house in Lucan. Lost their jobs from 2008 onwards. The banks/government are afraid to turn the screw on these people and seize the house = less movement in property market, less supply, higher demand.

Another factor I think people are overlooking is, if you are selling your house for whatever reason and prices are rising 15%-20% per year - why would you bother selling? Hold onto it and get another €50k next year = less movement in property market, less supply, higher demand.

There was something else I read about people trapped in negative equity, they can't sell the house because it will crystallize their loss = less movement in property market, less supply, higher demand.

Call me an economic naysayer, etc. And I do see some improvements in Ireland with regards to employment - But I believe this latest "boom" is entirely artificial, incredibly fickle and will not end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Something that people are glossing over as well is the mortgage interest rate is very low at the moment. Keep in mind that in the eighties these rose above a staggering 16%!! Now we have the protection of the euro zone, so they shouldn't go that high again, but once the zone starts to grow again, there's a very strong chance the rates will see a creep up again. They can't go much lower, after all.

It's funny to see, i have numerous friends who are mad to buy buy buy a house. Looking at the most impartial solutions just to get anywhere. They nearly have an air of despairation to them trying to lock down anywhere, then crazy bidding wars follow, and this is in North county Dublin. All in the fear of missing the boat, but to be honest, the boats long gone, when they say they are looking at houses that were listed for €100K lower last year, but are happily considering having a bid on it now, no amount of rational argument will let them see how mad they've gotten.

Leave them to it I figure. It's their money to spend after all, I suppose they'll learn they made a mistake, or reap the benefits of their shewed investment.

Customers in LIDL in Terenure have gone back to putting their shopping in Superquinn and Donnybrook Fair bags for life. I saw 3 people do it in a few minutes last Wednesday.

Anyone who shops there deserves to be robbed. Such ridiculous mark-ups for bog-standard products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Was in the Blanchardstown Centre yesterday and what did I see only a strech hummer limo taking some kids to captain americas. I was like am I in 2004 again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Roastlamb

Can everyone who takes a mortgage out now remember that it is your responsibility to pay the loan back, not the taxpayer's. Don't tell us down the line that you didn't realise you could lose your job or that house prices could fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

mphalo1 wrote: »
    you threw your change in the bin.

I have a friend who used to do that! She was always trying to make out like she was loaded. Would only go into a local shop for cigarettes if she had a €50 to break. Sicken me hole so she did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Them pulled pork baps are the biggest sign!!

Advertisement