Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that the 'Tiger' is on its way back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

s8n wrote: »
    What about the cost of tea bag, boiling water, sugar and milk. Not to mention biscuits ?
    About 10 cents (if even) for a cup of tea at home probably, you can then peg the teabag to the washing line and use it again later. No need to thank me for this top tip.

Biscuits, get them dirt cheap in Lidl or if on offer in your local Daybreak or somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think things are picking up tbh, I've had a slight increase in my wage and things are much more comfortable now for my wife and I whereas 2/3 years ago I was completely fecked money wise and that working was just to pay the bills.
    Now we've had a nice 2 week holiday in Italy, bought a new-ish car for the wife and now I'm due an upgrade in October and have bought a new house.
    So things are on the up and thank God for that.
    We all deserve a break from the crap we've been given since 2008 and I just hope this budget rewards us for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Nothing is fixed, nothing changed, all the debt is still out there.

I won't celebrate any recovery until the USC is removed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Well the amount you borrowed stays the same, and if the interest rates stay stable enough, which you would expect with the ECB. The mortgage which might not look too cheap now, will probably look like a joke in comparison to the rent for the equivalent property in 10-15 years...

The amount goes down when you start paying off more than just interest. So if interest rates go up in 15 years you will have it half paid off anyway so your repayments will be less.

Renting would make sense if we had something like other European countries where it is far cheaper to rent and you have stability and rights. People will still want to buy in Ireland as rent is equivalent to a mortgage anyway and you have no stability.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The amount goes down when you start paying off more than just interest. So if interest rates go up in 15 years you will have it half paid off anyway so your repayments will be less.

Renting would make sense if we had something like other European countries where it is far cheaper to rent and you have stability and rights. People will still want to buy in Ireland as rent is equivalent to a mortgage anyway and you have no stability.

Not just in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Could it mainly be that many have simply gotten used to the way things are now, and have paid off some debts/gotten rid of luxuries they we never really needed?

I think we have just gotten used it. Imagine someone who lost their €500 a week job for example, and suddenly they are on the rock n roll with a car and an expensive tobacco habit to pay for. **** hits the fan - "oh no, what will I do?" and also, suddenly those 8 pints + every Friday and Saturday are out. You feel the pressure and wonder how you'll survive!

Then over the years you get rid of the car, start to prefer an at home session with friends (or Ryan Tubridy, if that way inclined) over blowing 200 every weekend on Diageo piss and Supermacs, you have given up the fags, started cooking at home more etc etc. So now you are looking and feeling better.

Then you realise you are actually saving a bit of money and things don't look so bad after all...plus you may have a few years further education under your belt and your life has stablised. You may also have a gotten a job or "internship". It may not mean the economy is on the up, but you feel better about yourself and have a couple of spare bob you did not have 4 years ago.

We are still taxed up our collective bollocks' and will be for years, hell there's yet another new tax just around the corner...and the government dare not raise the corporate tax...or else goodbye Google, Apple, and our "smart economy".

I think things have become more stable only. At least we not as near the cliff edge as we were not so long ago.

bear1 wrote: »
    Not just in Ireland ;)

England is the same. BTL's have had a huge impact. Generally in Europe its far cheaper to rent so it makes sense to rent, you also have fixed rent leases. There seem to be more large property companies that arent going to end your lease as they need the property for a family member.

I know for a fact that in Italy and in Poland rents more often that not equal the same price as the mortgage.
    Obviously I'm talking about renting an entire apartment and not just a room.
    I see your point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is talk about the goverment reducing or maybe getting rid of that in the budget so you might be able to celebrate after the next budget.

As for things getting better they have stapilised all right but Europe still has proplems and growth in Europe at the moment is Stagnent. Does not help that they kicked thereselfs in the foot having ttrade sanctions against Russia. America don,t care they keep demanding it because they don,t have a hugh amount of trade with Russia but Europe does.
    Saying all that I have noticed some new shops opening in some small towns, a lot more new cars around, more job advertisments and my local Spar is getting yet another revamp at least the 3rd this year.
    Even if the boom were to happen again and I got a nice wage again I too will still shop in Aldi has they have a great choice off the food I want there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    I know for a fact that in Italy and in Poland rents more often that not equal the same price as the rent..

I should think so...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

for sure.
    This is plain theft from people's salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

The snakes are telling me to get on their property ladder
    I'm off to get a 100% mortgage to buy property I don't need so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The snakes are telling me to get on the property ladder
    I'm off to get a 100% mortgage to buy property I don't need so

Get 110% so you can pay off your couch and telly over the next 35 years.. "Cheapest money you'll ever get".............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Once the USC is removed, pension levy is removed and the tax bands are back at what they were in 2008 ....then we can celebrate.

It could be a long long wait.

Get 110% so you can pay off your couch and telly over the next 35 years.. "Cheapest money you'll ever get".............

I think I'll throw in a new car as well

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I should think so...?

Observant fecker aren't ya :p
    I meant mortgages - the rent can equal the same price as a mortgage per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

coffee costs about €2.50 and you can sit there for a good hour with a friend.

great option if you're on a budget.

it would often have been lunch/ cocktails a few years ago, instead off a cup of coffee.
    It was more like people having breakfast and brunch everywhere.

Also, big expensive cars with 131 to 142 reg plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

and don't forget, if things go wrong.....you never have to pay it
    back....that's the way things work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thank god the doom and gloom is starting to lift, but the cowardice of FF, Labour and I would give some blame to FG also, in not simply sorting out the mess and cutting faster, has resulted in us being at least a year, possibly two in getting this to point! (there was plenty of low hanging fruit left goverment procurement for one, along with a few others that they could have went after and got away with, but chose not to. When they had it on a plate to do it and chose not to, you know that whats morally right, doesnt come into their reasoning). Also by playing it the way they have, it has resulted in it looking like a giveaway budget right in the nick of time, i.e only two years out from the GE. Now I'm not saying the opposition would have done any better and FG were hamstrung by Labour wasters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Heres one, company I work for just landed a flooring contract in the city centre worth 6 figures, most expensive contract in Dublin they've landed since the crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Heres one, company I work for just landed a flooring contract in the city centre worth 6 figures, most expensive contract in Dublin they've landed since the crash

Ah yes, that oul' malarkey. Youngfellas who lay timber floors for a living wondering what to buy with the proceeds from their latest Big Job, and thinking probably Marbella. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ah yes, that oul' malarkey. Youngfellas who lay timber floors for a living wondering what to buy with the proceeds from their latest Big Job, and thinking probably Marbella. :pac:

Maybe just a bit of marble Jim, not a bit of Marbella:D

Big ques for breakfast rolls from lads wearing high vis jackets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

What happens when interest rates start to increase again ?

Will the tracker guys take the hit, and maybe my variable rate will be left stand ?

Seeing as how the variable guys have carried the trackers guys for a few years ...

??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Tiger is finished, Rory is the new kid on the block now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Will the tracker guys take the hit, and maybe my variable rate will be left stand ?

Seeing as how the variable guys have carried the trackers guys for a few years ...

??????????????
    LOOOOOL!!

??????????????
    I would say that will be quite a few years away, at the moment, the banks are bricking it over the threat of deflation.
    Any sniff of an increase in interest rates will kill the lending markets stone dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

The smart ballsy guys are snapping up property now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I would say that will be quite a few years away, at the moment, the banks are bricking it over the threat of deflation.
    Any sniff of an increase in interest rates will kill the lending markets stone dead!
    Since we got our mortgage 4 years ago, our rate has risen on 5 occasions.. no sniff of an ecb rise..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Since we got our mortgage 4 years ago, our rate has risen on 5 occasions.. no sniff of an ecb rise..
    Good few reductions in the ECB rate in that period too...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Here we go again, I suppose. Next recession 15 or so years time? Another housing bubble maybe, ridiculously inflated rates, that sort of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The bust only had a positive effect on me, I just kept working away, job was never under pressure.. but prices dropped and I found it easier to have holidays and nights away due to falling prices, so I hope I don't see the bubble back.

Ditto for me...started noticing the grocery stores selling 3 for 9.99 on Chick fillets, pork chops, mince etc. around 4 years ago. The price of a lot of things came down or at least they became more competitive. I was saving a surprising amount before I left but still...nowhere near a rate that could see me afford a home and any real security. Cheap Trips and the like were no bother though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

Vulgarity levels are about 2002 levels. Faux wealthy Irish people are as about intolerable as wealthy Australians. This "post bust" feeling being trotted is like a teenager coming down the stairs almost ashamed with an insightfullness that they will go out and be bold again.

Nothing has actually changed when we should have had Republic #2. A lot done more to do FF/FG. A change of global tax law could bring it crashing down when we should be looking at innovating and competing instead of using the same card trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dasdog wrote: »
    A change of global tax law could bring it crashing down when we should be looking at innovating and competing instead of using the same card trick.

How do you propose innovating? (I agree and have stated it a few times but my how tends to get people riled up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

The tiger will be back when trackers are available, no sooner, the money needs to become cheap, for the next generation of it-wits to throw it at everybody, and all the previous politicians will be saying to each other " remember this lads" on 5k a week pensions.

Tis all a game for whoever is there, right here, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

It's probably been mentioned already but does anyone else not want the 'Tiger' to come back? It was an era defined by greed, totally irresponsible economic/ business practices and there was an air of arrogance about the whole thing.

I would prefer a more stable economic future that doesn't necessarily feature soaring highs (because these inevitably lead to crushing lows) but one where you can make a decent living, not be taxed like there's no tomorrow and where you don't have to live in fear of a huge economic downturn causing mass unemployment and emigration.

A man can dream at least. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

For me too. But that was to be expected for variable rates. Each time the ecb rate went down the banks were losing more money on trackers. The only place they could get money back was from the variable rate customers.

So it doesn't automatically mean variable rates will go up as the ecb rate does. Obviously they can but the banks will still need to compete with each other.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

MultiUmm wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned already but does anyone else not want the 'Tiger' to come back? It was an era defined by greed, totally irresponsible economic/ business practices and there was an air of arrogance about the whole thing.

I would prefer a more stable economic future that doesn't necessarily feature soaring highs (because these inevitably lead to crushing lows) but one where you can make a decent living, not be taxed like there's no tomorrow and where you don't have to live in fear of a huge economic downturn causing mass unemployment and emigration.

A man can dream at least. :pac:

Let's call a spade a spade. A family doing well in Germany or the Netherlands or France will never sit around trying to announce to all who will listen like some clueless cnut in Fallon and Byrne that she just can't stand vallpolicella. In fact a twit like this wouldn't last farting time in conversation with European multimillionaires, many of whom dress and talk like those they employ. In a nutshell, Irish people have no class, just this infantile desire to be looked up to by the proles.

It was the ECB rate that I was referring to, the banks are losing on the trackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The recession killed off the boyracer brigade.

No longer could lads quit school at 16 and pull an extremely good wage labouring on sites

I'll know the tiger is back when my ears are assaulted by souped up little Starlets and Glanzas.
    I saw two yesterday. Or, rather, saw one, heard one. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

kefir32 wrote: »
    Had to buy sanitary ware recently. The attitude of the sales rep was that distinctive Celtic tiger air I remember of "stop wasting my time asking me questions and just buy it I have more to be doing than giving you a sales pitch and being nice to you"
    Looks like we are going back to half arsed customer service of yester year!

I went to a bank to inquire about a loan. All they would do is show me how to apply using the app. :(

Grayson wrote: »
    I went to a bank to inquire about a loan. All they would do is show me how to apply using the app. :(

Plants versus zombie banks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

House hunters queue outside estate in Swords

Here we go... again!!

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0903/641302-house-hunters/
    A number of potential house buyers are spending a second night queuing outside a new development in Swords, Co Dublin, which go on sale on Saturday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

K.Flyer wrote: »

Here we go... again!!

Weirdos !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

All I can say is thank Fcuk I left Ireland in 2009, having been someone who got caught up in the hype last time around, I won't be this time. Why can't people just live within there means and not go around trying to out-consume their neighbour? Is it something uniquely Irish due to our history of poverty? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

lufties wrote: »
    All I can say is thank Fcuk I left Ireland in 2009, having been someone who got caught up in the hype last time around, I won't be this time. Why can't people just live within there means and not go around trying to out-consume their neighbour? Is it something uniquely Irish due to our history of stupidity? :confused:

FYP

All I can say is thank Fcuk I left Ireland in 2009, having been someone who got caught up in the hype last time around, I won't be this time. Why can't people just live within there means and not go around trying to out-consume their neighbour? Is it something uniquely Irish due to our history of poverty? :confused:

The boom was just kicking off when I last looked at buying so I stayed out. Im looking at places again as Im tired of renting. Im pretty much paying someones mortgage and dont have much stability renting. This is why we have the property market we have. We didnt fix anything from the last boom in fact we protected those that overspent. Is it any wonder we are repeating the same mistakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I reckon so myself..

I think it's a cultural hangover from the famine times/"800 years" stuff myself. We have an instinctive NEED to prove ourselves to others and the rest of the world just how far we've come - the little country that could, and did!
    That's why the common argument used for spending vast amounts of money on some vanity project is "in the UK/Europe they do/have this" (ie: and as we're all grown up now and the equal of every country on the planet, we should too!).
    Unfortunately the reality - that we're a small, conservative, parochial, resource-poor island on the edge of the EU superstate with a population smaller than some of the cities over there - rarely sets in.

It's also why in the "good times" rows of shiny new cars would soon appear on a street when Paddy bought his BMW - "can't have Paddy outdoing me!!" and equally why (when things went bad) the same people spent their time bothering themselves about what Paddy was "getting away with" that they weren't, or GETTING what they weren't!

And that is also why things ARE the way they are in this country - because Paddy spends too much time trying to compete with his neighbours, or enviously watching them, that the government of the day can continue to play one side off against the other (employed vs unemployed, public vs private, old vs young, union vs non-union etc) while they (and their hangers-on) are the only ones who are REALLY profiting from the mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Golovkin p4p best

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I reckon so myself..

I think it's a cultural hangover from the famine times/"800 years" stuff myself. We have an instinctive NEED to prove ourselves to others and the rest of the world just how far we've come - the little country that could, and did!
    That's why the common argument used for spending vast amounts of money on some vanity project is "in the UK/Europe they do/have this" (ie: and as we're all grown up now and the equal of every country on the planet, we should too!).
    Unfortunately the reality - that we're a small, conservative, parochial, resource-poor island on the edge of the EU superstate with a population smaller than some of the cities over there - rarely sets in.

It's also why in the "good times" rows of shiny new cars would soon appear on a street when Paddy bought his BMW - "can't have Paddy outdoing me!!" and equally why (when things went bad) the same people spent their time bothering themselves about what Paddy was "getting away with" that they weren't, or GETTING what they weren't!

And that is also why things ARE the way they are in this country - because Paddy spends too much time trying to compete with his neighbours, or enviously watching them, that the government of the day can continue to play one side off against the other (employed vs unemployed, public vs private, old vs young, union vs non-union etc) while they (and their hangers-on) are the only ones who are REALLY profiting from the mess.

People generally don't give a sh1t what happened in the 19th century. To use incidents which occurred then as people's motivation for queuing for a house is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

K.Flyer wrote: »

Here we go... again!!

Groundhog Day......

• Advertisement
Advertisement