Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that the 'Tiger' is on its way back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

K.Flyer wrote: »
    House hunters queue outside estate in Swords

Here we go... again!!

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0903/641302-house-hunters/

Groundhog Day......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

The media are having a massive hard on for the ques in Swords.

No leasons learnt but everything is grand..Enda Kenny said there is no housing bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

People generally don't give a sh1t what happened in the 19th century. To use incidents which occurred then as people's motivation for queuing for a house is ridiculous.

It all goes towards the cultural mindset of people who are doing such things - read what I wrote again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Groundhog Day......
    Groundhog Day......

Ironic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade. A family doing well in Germany or the Netherlands or France will never sit around trying to announce to all who will listen like some clueless cnut in Fallon and Byrne that she just can't stand vallpolicella. In fact a twit like this wouldn't last farting time in conversation with European multimillionaires, many of whom dress and talk like those they employ. In a nutshell, Irish people have no class, just this infantile desire to be looked up to by the proles.

You got issues pal. I find this type of self loathing boring and nauseating, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

fedor.2. wrote: »
    You got issues pal. I find this type of self loathing boring and nauseating, to be honest.

Doesn't make what he said any less valid though

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

I'm only 25 so was bit young to get caught up in the hype last time but for what it's worth here is what I've noticed

- Huge increase in rent prices (and not because the media is telling me this, I check daft every day as I've been renting in Dublin for 4 years and it seems most places want an extra €100-€150 a month more than they used to)

- Restaurants absolutely full everywhere. This isn't a criticism, go out and enjoy a good meal if you can! Just an observation :)

- My bank - they're calling me every few weeks now wanting to get my money into their saving schemes. I've had the account since secondary school and have been working for 5 years and they've never hounded me like they have in the last few months. Also, BOI are coming into my office today and setting up downstairs for 2 hours for anyone who wants to talk to them. Did they always do this?? I've never seen it anywhere I've worked before.

- Holidays - alot of people I know went abroad 2 or 3 times this Summer as opposed ! Fair play if you can afford it! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

People are now camping out to buy houses in dublin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

jonny24ie wrote: »
    People are now camping out to buy houses in dublin again.

In swords by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Doesn't make what he said any less valid though

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Again as long as its not a credit based recovery ( not boom ) does it matter lending for property is to a formula and if you don't have the deposit and the income you wont the get a mortgage ( rightly so ). The banks are not handing our money this time and they are very thorough with paper work.

If people are not accessing credit then the goods and services are more or less being paid for with earned money which is a good thing.

Its the a of availability of employment that it pushing this one.

You don't buy if you don't want to but you cant stop others doing so( that's interfering in the marked ) negative equity is only a problem if you want to sell a property, although mass negativity equity is bad for any economy.

This recovery is kinda forcing a change I think, those who cant or wont budget or save will never get a mortgage now, which in turn means those who are getting a mortgage will have a different attenuated to money and credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

This does not surprise me at all. I thought we'd be at least another 5 years before it started again, but I thought it would eventually.

The reason? The Irish have a psychosis about owning land. Same with the English.

Because of this, we will be doomed to repeat the boom bust property bubble economy again and again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This does not surprise me at all. I thought we'd be at least another 5 years before it started again, but I thought it would eventually.

The reason? The Irish have a psychosis about owning land. Same with the English.

Because of this, we will be doomed to repeat the boom bust property bubble economy again and again....

The wild west that is our rental market is a very big factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I reckon so myself..

I think it's a cultural hangover from the famine times/"800 years" stuff myself. We have an instinctive NEED to prove ourselves to others and the rest of the world just how far we've come - the little country that could, and did!
    That's why the common argument used for spending vast amounts of money on some vanity project is "in the UK/Europe they do/have this" (ie: and as we're all grown up now and the equal of every country on the planet, we should too!).
    Unfortunately the reality - that we're a small, conservative, parochial, resource-poor island on the edge of the EU superstate with a population smaller than some of the cities over there - rarely sets in.

It's also why in the "good times" rows of shiny new cars would soon appear on a street when Paddy bought his BMW - "can't have Paddy outdoing me!!" and equally why (when things went bad) the same people spent their time bothering themselves about what Paddy was "getting away with" that they weren't, or GETTING what they weren't!

And that is also why things ARE the way they are in this country - because Paddy spends too much time trying to compete with his neighbours, or enviously watching them, that the government of the day can continue to play one side off against the other (employed vs unemployed, public vs private, old vs young, union vs non-union etc) while they (and their hangers-on) are the only ones who are REALLY profiting from the mess.

Good Post, those of us that see these truths are then regarded as self-loathing.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The wild west that is our rental market is a very big factor.

yet you still had people giving out about Nama selling a large amount of property to an investment company of professional landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Its the truth, having lived in Germany I found them quite happy with their lot compared to the oneup-manship that goes on in Ireland.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

K.Flyer wrote: »
    House hunters queue outside estate in Swords

Here we go... again!!

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0903/641302-house-hunters/

Yeah, I just heard that on the news.
    This time last year I was having a pint with a friend of mine and she alluded to the same thing stating another bubble is in the offing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Really? So what?
    Do you have a point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I dont care if people want to buy houses or the reason for doing so, provided they can afford it and/or mortgage repayments. I just dont want to hear people complaining about negative equity. It is a term that doesn't really mean anything.
    Once they realize you only buy something because you agree with the valuation. When people buy a house they agree it is worth that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

lufties wrote: »
    All I can say is thank Fcuk I left Ireland in 2009, having been someone who got caught up in the hype last time around, I won't be this time. Why can't people just live within there means and not go around trying to out-consume their neighbour? Is it something uniquely Irish due to our history of poverty? :confused:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/08/22/friend-back-from-australia-telling-everyone-whats-wrong-with-ireland/

Does anyone reckon, and I'm being fully serious here, that the developer has just paid people to hang around outside for a few days and drive prices upwards 50-100k?

What kind of modern job that pays enough to buy one of these houses could possibly afford someone the time to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All I can say is thank Fcuk I left Ireland in 2009, having been someone who got caught up in the hype last time around, I won't be this time. Why can't people just live within there means and not go around trying to out-consume their neighbour? Is it something uniquely Irish due to our history of poverty? :confused:

How is queueing to get the pick of something there are a limited number of living beyond your means?

People have no problem queueing for concert tickets but spending time to get the house you may spend the rest of your life in is somehow wrong?

How is queueing to get the pick of something there are a limited number of living beyond your means?

People have no problem queueing for concert tickets but spending time to get the house you may spend the rest of your life in is somehow wrong?

You think the type of people that have access to 500k in credit spend days and nights queuing for concert tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Its the truth, having lived in Germany I found them quite happy with their lot compared to the oneup-manship that goes on in Ireland.

Lot's of people are happy with their lot in Ireland too! Not much oneupmanship where I live, but know a lot of it goes on in different parts of the country.

Are you happy with your lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

It's also why in the "good times" rows of shiny new cars would soon appear on a street when Paddy bought his BMW - "can't have Paddy outdoing me!!" and equally why (when things went bad) the same people spent their time bothering themselves about what Paddy was "getting away with" that they weren't, or GETTING what they weren't!"

Agree,but they have already appeared,the terenure tractors,the ranelagh roadie 4b5's,there all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cranes from rival construction companies dueling in the skys over Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

at least with those new builds you dont have the BS of "oh there is already a higher offer in, another interested party etc etc etc" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Does anyone reckon, and I'm being fully serious here, that the developer has just paid people to hang around outside for a few days and drive prices upwards 50-100k?

What kind of modern job that pays enough to buy one of these houses could possibly afford someone the time to do this?

It's possible, or maybe the people got a tip off about the cheaper builds and took some annual leave from work to queue up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You think the type of people that have access to 500k in credit spend days and nights queuing for concert tickets?

Do people who can afford a mortgage get preferential treatment from ticketmaster?

Anyway I was talking about the people giving out about people queuing yet there doesn't seem to be threads about how stupid it is to question for tickets and how it's a sign the country is losing the run of itself

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Does this mean that Roscommon is going to be back as one of the most expensive places on the Monopoly board again?? :D:D

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/roscommon-reigns-with-monopoly-on-high-rollers-26322139.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I think there's an element of dead cat bounce here.

In the last few austere years, lots of people gave up things like health-insurance, elective dental work, the second annual sun holiday, annual new-car, etc.

After a couple of years of such savings, people now have money in their pockets again, but it's a delusional type of wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I got friends and family to up the numbers during viewings of my gaff.. Drop the odd bit of subliminal messaging while walking around..

"This place seems to be a bargain"
    "Think we'll put in an offer now"..

Worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My bank manager rang me earlier in the week:
    "Are you all right for a loan? Thinking of a new car?"
    "How about your house; thinking of trading up?"

Is it 2006 again already?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I never made any money in the first bubble, did pretty well in the recession so maybe its my time to shine in the new bubble.

But what do people want? A capitalist country needs spenders and credit, it is simply a Ponzi scheme, once you accept this then I think you can make money out of it and then use your judgement on when to bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I saw that thing about morons queuing for houses on Monday I think, Monday or Tuesday anyway, on independent.ie. Now here it is again on the cover of the ****ing paper on Thursday. Like they just really want to make sure everyone knows this is a thing that is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

NIMAN wrote: »
    Couple of things are pointing to the return of the 'Tiger'.

Yes and no doubt those 'things' are Banksters and developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

I saw that thing about morons queuing for houses on Monday I think, Monday or Tuesday anyway, on independent.ie. Now here it is again on the cover of the ****ing paper on Thursday. Like they just really want to make sure everyone knows this is a thing that is happening

I think to call them morons is a bit strong, the homes they are queuing for are starter homes and they are available for sale at a fixed price, (whether anyone believes the price is reasonable is another thread for someone to start). The potential purchasers do not have to worry about being asked to up their bid to secure the house and the house is ready to live in. There are very few new starter homes available in Dublin so if it secures these people the home they want at a price that is fixed, fair play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

Traditional print media craves a return to the housing boom days and will happily run these stories front page in order to welcome back the days of massive property section supplements with the papers. They've really missed the advertising revenue.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    at least with those new builds you dont have the BS of "oh there is already a higher offer in, another interested party etc etc etc" :rolleyes:

How do we know this?

I doubt very much if even a dab of honesty or integrity has taken hold,when it comes to banks,agents,developers,politicians and greed.

I never made any money in the first bubble, did pretty well in the recession so maybe its my time to shine in the new bubble.

But what do people want? A capitalist country needs spenders and credit, it is simply a Ponzi scheme, once you accept this then I think you can make money out of it and then use your judgement on when to bailout.

Tell that to the homeless,the sick,the families affected by debt and death vis suicide.

Will I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Taxi man telling me about his property in Spain

A moment which should go down in history. A taxi driver who claims to be actually doing well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Soon all the sh1theads and the snobs will be out again, praising Phil Hogan and his property tax for kicking old grannys out of their homes to make room for young up and coming IT professionals who can well afford the property tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Seeing that property prices are on the rise I assume any review of the property tax valuations will result in an increase and not a reduction as is the belief by some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Crew cab jeeps being bought with no hitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

With rent prices as high as they are at the moment, it's inevitable that people are going to want to buy, if the mortgage repayments are less than the rent they will save money.

I bought during the last boom and am in negative equity, but my mortgage is 400 a month less than my neighbours are paying to rent their house and I ll be mortgage free in 10 years so buying was the sensible thing for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Hotel in Thurles, 500,000 reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

2 stroke wrote: »
    Hotel in Thurles, 500,000 reserve.

The GAA can afford that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Soon all the sh1theads and the snobs will be out again, praising Phil Hogan and his property tax for kicking old grannys out of their homes to make room for young up and coming IT professionals who can well afford the property tax.
    Yup its the Technology industries fault off with their heads!

For me the biggest indication is the increased morning traffic in the last two years.

Advertisement