Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that the 'Tiger' is on its way back

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Couple of things are pointing to the return of the 'Tiger'.

A semi-d in Dublin on the market for €950,000 (from the Accommodation & Property forum).

Seen young kids getting into a stretch limo in Donegal yesterday, looks like these will be back on the roads in
    numbers soon.

Seen an advert for helicopter rides in Donegal.

I bought a breakfast roll yesterday to celebrate Fat Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭EmilyHoward

I've spoken to 2 different people in the last month who are talking about purchasing a house soon (and I quote) "before prices start going out of reach again".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This seriously worries me, things have been in a kind of a lull period for a while and people take it from that things are on the way back but there have been some worrying signs from across Europe in recent weeks which have gone under the radar. Given our debt levels and exposure to external events this recovery looks to me like its built on sand and is primarily a Dublin based recovery.

Its great there is more positivity about but if the last few years have though us anything its that we should thread carefully.
    What exactly is causing the property market to boom? :confused:
    There are still alot of people unemployed. Alot of people left the country. The live figures are being 'massaged' (ha, nice word) because of internships out there, etc.

Now I aint no property expert. So I am only having a stab at this.. but it's just pure greed and the domino effect, right?
    Like at the start of the year with the reports stating that the sales of property picked up by a few percent. Which in turn made average-joe-landlord go "I can get another 100 for my place now!" - Which in turn made people think they should get on the property ladder now or else "get stung"

This. A thousand times this.

There is something seriously wrong with us as a nation when it comes to property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Signs it's coming back? Look at the papers - Rising house prices, new bank account openings and 50,000 jobs, and thousands of new homes to be built to meet demand in South Dublin?

For the record, I will need to be physically restrained - bound and locked in a room - should the Celtic Kitten start purring again

I'l draw down all the loans and sign all the guarantees. In a Henry Seller's style breakdown, I will run down Grafton Street covered in fifty euro notes screaming "I am the Celtic Tiger."

... I'll invest in doomed hotel projects before going on weekend shopping trips to New York. Golf on a Tuesday afternoon. I'll spending thousands on kitsch crap and permanently being a state of 'getting the round in' .... Bulgaria - I'll have some of that please. 60 euro mineral water - yes. All of it.

ALL OF IT!

and when boom turns to bust...
    ...when the line of credit stops and theres no coke to cure the hangover.. I'll read one of David McWilliam's books and remind myself that I had the the absolute craic

:pac:

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Twin garage. (classy USA shtyle ;))

His and hers Audi's. On display, not in the twin garage!

(saw it yesterday somewhere between Ennis and Limerick, could of been a hangover from the Celtic Tiger when I think about it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    :pac:

Brilliant.

Thank you. I do try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Theres a 142 Porsche parked outside the door of work

Rarwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    This. A thousand times this.

There is something seriously wrong with us as a nation when it comes to property.

Unemployment went to approximately 15% at its worst, this means that 85% were employed. These people, instead of splurging, most likely saved for a rainy day should they lose their jobs. A portion of these people now feel that they are safe so, with a nice savings account, feel that buying now means never being in negative equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the mention of the return of the Xmas bonus for the countries workhorses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The €80 million euromillions money being intercepted in the form of cocaine off the coast of Ireland. Thar' she blows, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

feck I really want a breakfast roll now. I'd swear it's been about 4 years since I last had one. Dem feels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

signs the celtic tiger is back: paw prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Remmy wrote: »
    feck I really want a breakfast roll now. I'd swear it's been about 4 years since I last had one. Dem feels...

You know they have always been available right?

I was in college during the last tiger so for this one I'll make sure to live it up. Going to pack up me office job, get me safe pass, work on a site slapping up 'units' at a massive rate. Crew cab, jetski on the trailer, out in the fresh air with the lads, pints in Cafe en Seine. I won't let a minute of it go to waste, I'll sell all my units before the next crash and blow all my money on traveling the world by jetski. By the time I'm back it will be time for round 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... travelling the world by jetski...
    For circumglobal translocation, skijet.con are much less expensive than jetski. They will also e-mail your ma, walk your dog, and pay your property and water taxes for a slightly more than average fee.

Landscaping is outsourced; cost of this service may freak you out.

Too late to buy a hotel or two cheap. Good staff getting harder to find.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭No Username Yet

Yea Celtic II is defiantly on the way

David Mc Williams on the radio 3 times already this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Esel wrote: »
    For circumglobal translocation, skijet.con are much less expensive than jetski. They will also e-mail your ma, walk your dog, and pay your property and water taxes for a slightly more than average fee.

Landscaping is outsourced; cost of this service may freak you out.

Too late to buy a hotel or two cheap. Good staff getting harder to find.

Dafuq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

Signs it's coming back? Look at the papers - Rising house prices, new bank account openings and 50,000 jobs, and thousands of new homes to be built to meet demand in South Dublin?

For the record, I will need to be physically restrained - bound and locked in a room - should the Celtic Kitten start purring again

I'l draw down all the loans and sign all the guarantees. In a Henry Seller's style breakdown, I will run down Grafton Street covered in fifty euro notes screaming "I am the Celtic Tiger."

... I'll invest in doomed hotel projects before going on weekend shopping trips to New York. Golf on a Tuesday afternoon. I'll spending thousands on kitsch crap and permanently being a state of 'getting the round in' .... Bulgaria - I'll have some of that please. 60 euro mineral water - yes. All of it.

ALL OF IT!

and when boom turns to bust...
    ...when the line of credit stops and theres no coke to cure the hangover.. I'll read one of David McWilliam's books and remind myself that I had the the absolute craic

... I'll dump all my loses on the taxpayer and bugger off to Spain for the rest of my days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Egginacup wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade. A family doing well in Germany or the Netherlands or France will never sit around trying to announce to all who will listen like some clueless cnut in Fallon and Byrne that she just can't stand vallpolicella. In fact a twit like this wouldn't last farting time in conversation with European multimillionaires, many of whom dress and talk like those they employ. In a nutshell, Irish people have no class, just this infantile desire to be looked up to by the proles.

Maybe but that's why we are loved everywhere. We wear out heart on our sleeve and the day that ends is the day we stop being IRISH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Walked by the florist in terenure village today to see they had a small window box on sale for €27
    Tesco up the road has more or less the same window box for €12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Walked by the florist in terenure village today to see they had a small window box on sale for €27
    Tesco up the road has more or less the same window box for €12
    The cheaper box is not always the best box. Saving €15 might cost a lot more over the long haul. Better call Saul.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Kilkenny County council thinking of putting up the property tax by 5% in order to meet their budgetary needs at the same time as spending €100,000 on a statue dedicated to hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I heard Eddie Hobbs on the radio this week. Haven't heard him telling us what to do since the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Tiger????
    In context I really thought that word was done, dusted and served its purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Egginacup wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade. A family doing well in Germany or the Netherlands or France will never sit around trying to announce to all who will listen like some clueless cnut in Fallon and Byrne that she just can't stand vallpolicella. In fact a twit like this wouldn't last farting time in conversation with European multimillionaires, many of whom dress and talk like those they employ. In a nutshell, Irish people have no class, just this infantile desire to be looked up to by the proles.

You've obviously never met anyone from Hong Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I reckon we'll see people buying those kitchen water baths you see on all the cooking shows for their own house.

You know where they throw a pork chop into a bag and vacuum seal it, then lash it into a yoke of hot water for half an hour.

I believe its called "sous-vide" cooking.

It'll end up in the press beside the George Foreman when the recession comes around again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Government controlled banks lending money to government owned builders with government controlled planning for election purposes. And People wonder why we still borrow 900million a month just to stand still. This is nothing more than a tax grab and then permanent debt with water and house taxes. Do you think water and house charges will go down, if you do you have gone full retard.

So to get people out of negative equity, the govt solution is to cause a fake boom by denying building rights and controlling what you can build. Then to get people who borrowed too much out of problems in the last fake boom, the solution is to get more people into debt to buyout the old debt. Only in govt does that make sense.

Can we all agree that government is the problem here and it is all to do with the election. Also can we all agree that the people who borrow now are fully responsible for their own debt. You buy it you own it and the debt. I don't want my taxes to increase to pay for your fuk up.

Government controlling everything, I mean seriously, what could go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I listen to a lot of radio while in work,virtually every ad break now has one for the Indo's property supplement & usually includes something like: "Take a look at what €3 million will get you in leafy Foxrock and a lovely period property in Cork for €1.7 million"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

se conman wrote: »
    Kilkenny County council thinking of putting up the property tax by 5% in order to meet their budgetary needs at the same time as spending €100,000 on a statue dedicated to hurling.

Its funny stuff alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Zaytoon have restricted their lunchtime special to Mon-Wed only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

When easons are sold out of homebond books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Long queues at lunchtime outside certain sandwich shops in Dublin CC. Only povs bring a packed lunch, don't ya know? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Starbucks. Starbucks everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know if the Tiger is back or not. But there is a buzz around the place for sure, I'm talking Dublin here, so that may be the exception.

Whats it like outside Dublin anyone? The farmers are quiet at the moment, so maybe things are booming for them again. Loadsa jeeps at the Ploughing, wink.

Anyway, I prefer the simple life. Always did. Never got caught up in the razzle back in the day. So what if my car is 9 years old. It works great, and gets me from A to B. and no rust visible either....what more do I want!

Aldi and Lidl are the best too. I will never change from them. It's like an adventure every time i go there. What's that? Oh yea, its only a fiver, looks good. Buy! Better than spending thousands on a feckin deck or something.

Anyway, I hope things improve for everyone. Really do, it will help us all.

But personally I do NOT want to see the greedy, skanger, uppity, bull****, keeping up with the Jones crap that has made it all so vulgar.

I also agree with a previous poster. Those who REALLY have money do not flaunt it much. They are the ones in the charity shops and Aldi and lidl, and can be quite frugal. They do NOT flaunt their wealth. Old money if you like.

The other stuff is just pure ostentation with no foundation. And I hate it.

Just live simply, and enjoy your pleasures if you can afford them without crowing from the rooftops. it is just so vulgar.

I enjoyed that little rant, so I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Foreign workers doing jobs Irish workers won't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

there,s 1000,s of non nationals living here,
    So some of them work in certain jobs,
    Would you prefer it if they were on the dole.
    i,ll know the tiger is back when people who work in dublin, are buying houses,40 miles away, for 150k.
    ah sure its only 50 minutes from dublin.
    Here,s a tip, they bring in a tax, say 100 euros.
    everyone pays it,
    then in a few years time,its 300 euro,s .

i see very little building going on ,even in dublin.
    I,D say most builders are bankrupt,or its hard to get finance,
    and the banks want prices to go up.
    AS it,ll ease the disaster they caused ,with overlending ,negative equity,etc
    What incentive have the banks to encourage, new house building.

I don,t think theres a conspracy going on,
    to stop house building.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 21 Jussnot Fairmann

nice structure, syntax. could rhyme more, B -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The begrudgers are getting more vocal.

Advertisement