Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victoria BC

Options
  • 24-08-2014 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I know there is a thread about Vancouver, but I am thinking of heading to Victoria.

Basically, I have been to Vancouver before and I loved it, but know it is expensive to live there and I have a family friend in Victoria. Willing to put me up for a while.

The problem is, I am a city girl and I don't want to be too removed from the action. Can anyone that has been to Victoria let me know their experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lolabear

Victoria is fantastic,

Myself and my other half have been in Canada for 5 months now and been living in Victoria for just over 2 months. I love it.

I wasn't to fussed on Vancouver when we arrived and everyone we met told us to go to Vic, so we said we would give it a try. We were here two weeks and I got a job and we got an apartment. you can basically walk downtown so no need for bus passes (depending on where you live). We have a great social life and have met other Irish people to.

This is my experience, I think if you put the effort in to go out and meet new people you will have a blast. Also why not stay with the family friend for a couple of weeks and see if you get a job and if not you could head back to Van?

All the best with what you decide to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Thank you so much for your reply! I think the thing that put me off was the fact that people see it as "quaint". Also, and I know it might sound silly, I do dance classes and I think they are only offered in Vancouver, not in Victoria. Would it be too much to travel over once a week or so? How long is the journey?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I haven't done the trip, but it's a long one I believe. The ferry crossing alone is 90 minutes, and then the bus journeys on either side will take 45-75 minutes each. It's also very expensive - $80 plus tax for the bus journey part with Pacific Coach, and you have to pay for the ferry separately.

That's what my research has thrown up anyway, but I'm prepared to be corrected. You can also get a seaplane, which is oviously much quicker, but I don't know the price. Driving is faster too, but you can't speed up the 90 minute ferry crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

You wouldn't really go to Vancouver once a week from Victoria in my mind. Would cost quite a bit and would take about 3 hours one way. Perhaps once a month for the weekend.

Advertisement