Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picking up wi fi in shed.

Options
  • 24-08-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

i have sky wi fi in my house and would like to pick it up in my shed(man cave) at the end of my garden.when i turn on my laptop i am picking up my neighbors signal.do i get a better transmitter or receiver,or both.cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

johnboy8 wrote: »
    i have sky wi fi in my house and would like to pick it up in my shed(man cave) at the end of my garden.when i turn on my laptop i am picking up my neighbors signal.do i get a better transmitter or receiver,or both.cheers.

Try moving the sky router closer to the shed, or higher withing your house

Maybe try a powering adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Could you run a line (power or Ethernet ) from house to shed? You could set up another WiFi router in your shed. An extender is probably your beat option if not

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

cheers for replies.yes i might move sky box to back of house.i tried one of those double socket type things and it wont work as i only have a two wire power cable to the shed with an earthed neutral.no separate earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

LowOdour wrote: »
    Could you run a line (power or Ethernet ) from house to shed? You could set up another WiFi router in your shed. An extender is probably your beat option if not

This is a great device and easy to set up, cant recommend it enough

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/dp/B006PYGWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408877345&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+702

But, try positioning your sky router higher inside your house, and closer too first before buying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

yes.will defo try that first.thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

+1 for the above TP-Link Device

Is running a network cable out of the question? You could pick up a decent length of outdoor cat5e for a few quid that would do the job ..

Advertisement