Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C25k complete novice

• 24-08-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

Never manged 2k before never mind 5k so this is all new to me.

I started c25k last week and last night done the 1st day of week 2 I'm over 16st in weight 5ft 9"and my knees where a bit sore this morning. There were fine all last week

Is this normal? Will they get more used to it? I know my weight is not ideal for this. I'm working on getting the weight down but if I have to stop the c25k it will make the weight loss harder.

Just wondering if anyone else who done c25k had the same issue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done for getting started! I did C25k a few years ago from a background of smoking and drinking so I know where you're coming from having never run before in your life!
    I didn't get sore knees but I'd say once you keep working on getting the weight down, there'll be less pressure on them. Maybe try running on grass for a while to ease the impact on your knees. It would be normal enough to get a few aches when you start off. If you have actual pain then don't force it. Make sure you're taking a day or preferably two between runs. Ensure the pace you're running for the 'run' bits is really slow and try to run relaxed. Don't run all-out.
    Keep up the log. It'll be great for motivation. I'll be following with interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Is this a training log or do you want me to move it onto the main forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

pconn062 wrote: »
    Is this a training log or do you want me to move it onto the main forum?

It wasn't going to be a log but thinking about it a log would probably help me a lot.. You can leave it in logs thanks

Double post

Just completed day 2 of week 2 found it easy enough still feeling in my knees i was going to do it last night but my knees felt a bit raw. So I gave myself 2 days off instead.

I'm covering 3.5km in 28mins so I'll have to extend the route slightly to cover the 30mins

• Advertisement

today I had the confidence to do the run out in the daylight for the first time without feeling like a large wobbly lump of sweaty jelly. was always waiting for dark. amazing the difference you feel each time you go out.

I took a different route today. i was doing a 3.5k circuit but i found i was rushing the last stretch trying to finish on time. so today i ran down a road for 15mins and then back. it was 3.2km in all completed in 30mins.. also i decided to slow my pace at the start because it was downhill so managed the same pace coming back up.

slowing the pace slightly, I think helped the pains in my knees. but tomorrow will tell more. also I was never out of breath the whole time. two weeks ago on the first run I was nearly gagging after 15mins.

I found a heart rate strap and watch the other day that I bought in either lidl or aldi years ago so I thought id try it. kept a hearth rate of 130 for running and 110 for walking. hope that's not to high

looking forward to week 3 day 1. hardest part now is trying to take the rest days

edit: most surprising thing about the run uphill was quite enjoyable on way back. I found it more comfortable and wanting to push harder but I held myself back. Strange

OK done a bad thing tonight I was working out my training schedule for next week so my work wont impact it. and I needed to Day 1 today. only done Week 2 day 3 yesterday at noon.

I was feeling good all day today so decided to give it ago there 34hrs after last run. I took my time and managed the 3min runs fairly easy. Covered 3.2km in 31mins. felt I was able for more pace but worked hard to slow myself down.

going for my next run monday.

its so hard to hold yourself back when you feel you can do so much more.

really looking forward to be allowed to do the 5min runs next week.

well I wasn't feeling 100% today and was thinking of putting off the run but decided to go anyway. I also changed runners to more supportive ones but I think there's a blister coming on now. I prefer the older ones I was wearing.

I found it way harder tonight compared to Saturday. every step was a struggle. my eating wasn't great yesterday and I had very little water today so I hope that that's the issue. tomorrow onwards I'm going to focus on my eating and hopefully the next run will be OK. or I'm going to have to repeat a couple of days.

I'm feeling very disappointed after tonight but I'm not giving up yet

not sure will I do the next run Wednesday night or Thursday morning yet. working shift work really screws with a routine.

after a disastrous run the last time I headed out half hearted. wasn't looking forward to it at all. I came home after a long 12hr shift and decided to just do it. I wore my original trainers and after 10mins i started getting into it. the Nike trainers i have are definitely more suited for me rather than the asics it felt a lot more natural and comfortable

I did find it tough but walked and ran a bit faster tonight. I'm trying to decide if Ill repeat a day of week 3 or to chance week four.

Ill let you know how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Blisters can be a problem - could be the socks or could be the shoes. Everyone is different and but I find good socks to be the key for blister avoidance. Go r me that means avoiding cotton. I have a few pairs of 1000 Mile (expensive, long runs/races only) and a good few cheaper Nike Dri-fit as well as the Lidl socks, which are usually excellent value and good for everyday training.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Blisters can be a problem - could be the socks or could be the shoes. Everyone is different and but I find good socks to be the key for blister avoidance. Go r me that means avoiding cotton. I have a few pairs of 1000 Mile (expensive, long runs/races only) and a good few cheaper Nike Dri-fit as well as the Lidl socks, which are usually excellent value and good for everyday training.

I think the shoes were my main issue I have very broad feet. but I do need to get a couple of pairs of decent socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Well done on your progress so far confusedeire, don't know where you are based, but if your are anywhere near west Dublin / M50, another free Couch 2 5K session starts 22 Sept. Sessions are Mon Wed and Sat am - choice of am or pm on Mon or Wed which is why I thought it might appeal with shift. You are doing great on your own, but sometimes group support helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Well done so far you're doing brilliantly.....I did this last yr and damaged my knees so plz be careful, when your knees r sore stop don't force them.....I went back out and started early this year in a field. Like that couldn't run without gasping....took it really slow and plenty rest days in between, I actually got a foam roller and rolled on it to stretch my I.t band, my knees never once got sore this time. Make sure u stretch before and after..... I did my first 5k for darkness into light during the year and then kept up the training and completed hell & Back there in June just gone....it's amazing feeling and you are absolutely brilliant for doing it.....it really clears the head and focuses you too...well done

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Well done on your progress so far confusedeire, don't know where you are based, but if your are anywhere near west Dublin / M50, another free Couch 2 5K session starts 22 Sept. Sessions are Mon Wed and Sat am - choice of am or pm on Mon or Wed which is why I thought it might appeal with shift. You are doing great on your own, but sometimes group support helps.

I'm from cork there's a few beginners groups down here to but I like the time on my own doing it. I'm hoping when I get to 5K to run with a couple of the neighbours who completed the C25k only a couple of weeks ago.

zsha wrote: »
    Well done so far you're doing brilliantly.....I did this last yr and damaged my knees so plz be careful, when your knees r sore stop don't force them.....I went back out and started early this year in a field. Like that couldn't run without gasping....took it really slow and plenty rest days in between, I actually got a foam roller and rolled on it to stretch my I.t band, my knees never once got sore this time. Make sure u stretch before and after..... I did my first 5k for darkness into light during the year and then kept up the training and completed hell & Back there in June just gone....it's amazing feeling and you are absolutely brilliant for doing it.....it really clears the head and focuses you too...well done

I'm taking it slow to try and prevent injury. I think my knees were just trying to get used to it. if I think its getting to much I take an extra day off. I'm doing a bit of cycling aswell only short distances on off days just to keep loose.

I only bought a foam roller during the week. Man does that hurt...

I think Week 4 will tell a lot. I will find the 5mins tough

You'll be so surprised at how much you can do....the best piece of advice I got was to slow down...go slow slow slow work on speed later. Also I found my throat and mouth use to get so so dry. Chew gum!! Its my god send and I never chew it normally!!!
    Yeah that roller is v v sore but def worth it I swear by it.
    Well done again keep up the good work

after a long 12hr night shift I just completed Week 4 day 1. it went well and I'm happy enough although I'm keeping myself going at a very slow pace to try and prevent injury.

I only noticed today as I'm jogging that i seem to be curling my toes and clinching them. i tried to keep them straightish but had no joy. anyone else do this?

the 2nd 5min run i really felt it in my thighs its my first time feeling it there. glad I'm back to enjoying it. last week was tough.

completed week 4 day 2 tonight happy enough with it. I was feeling sick during the start but it wore off as I kept going. I covered a little extra ground @ 3.6km and didn't feel any extra strain.

hoping to do day 3 Wednesday night.

well week 4 is now complete and the dreaded week 5 is coming up. I need to take a few days off now as I wont get time for the next 3 days so hoping to go for Week 5 Day 1 on Sunday. hope it wont set me back

other that that its going OK

Wow you're flying through v well done. That's great. How long are wk 5 runs? Isn't it a great feeling each day you complete and see how far you've come from day one....well done

• Advertisement

zsha wrote: »
    Wow you're flying through v well done. That's great. How long are wk 5 runs? Isn't it a great feeling each day you complete and see how far you've come from day one....well done

week 5 has the 20min continuous run on the last day. it really is a fantastic feeling when you complete each week and thinking of the first day when a 60second run seamed impossible

When you run that 20 mins you will feel like you're on top of the world! That last 5 mins is torture but you can do it and you will do it!!! Keep up the great work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

As long as you keep it slow and steady you'll have no bother with the 20 minutes. It's all in the head! Who knows you might even keep going. Good luck...

well 3 5min runs complete and felt so good after the 3rd run I kept going all the way through the warm down. so thats 2 5min runs and a 10min run. I would have kept going but I was at home.

still dreading day 3.

You can do anything you put your mind to and just remember to go slow, if you feel it's too much slow right down....I was told you should be able to say the alphabet or talk when running, otherwise you are going too fast!! I also find running to music for the long runs great. Good luck

day 2 complete. had no motivation heading out but I said Id go anyway. as I was doing the 5min warm up walk I felt myself getting more into it.

so I headed in to the first 8min run slow and steady. completed that and started my 5min walk which I thought was a bit boring and was delighted to hear the next 8min run was starting.

happy out doing the the last 8min I was told to start my cool down i kept running for the whole cool down and for a couple of minutes after that so now Im looking forward to my 20min run the next night

oh ya forgot the bad part about tonight.... getting passed 3 times by my neighbour.

good thing they didn't notice who I was

well the day I've being dreading for the last two weeks was today... had to run for 20mins continuously.

didn't want to even go out but i said I'd give it a shot if I failed I failed and I'd just try again. my head wasn't in it I started the 5 min warm up. 1 minute in I realised I forgot my Hi-vis. I'm not going back to get it.

so I had to come up with a new route that was all footpath and well lit. my 5min warm up is finished I now had to start jogging. slow and heavily I carried on.

5 mins in I was telling myself its not worth it. 10mins in I wanted to walk for a bit. 15mins i realised there was only 5mins remaining. I think I'll go faster. I made it to 20mins couldn't believe it. I'm now half a mile from home Ill keep running i said even got faster... over 25mins of continuous running... only 5 weeks in.

what am I going to achieve in another 5 weeks

5 mins in I was telling myself its not worth it. 10mins in I wanted to walk for a bit. 15mins i realised there was only 5mins remaining. I think I'll go faster. I made it to 20mins couldn't believe it. I'm now half a mile from home Ill keep running i said even got faster... over 25mins of continuous running... only 5 weeks in.

what am I going to achieve in another 5 weeks

that's absolutely fantastic! Congrats on getting over that major milestone.
    You should sign yourself up for a 5k race when you're finished the programme. If you have a Parkrun near you that would be ideal.
    It's amazing what you can achieve alright.... once you want to do it enough!

Ososlo wrote: »
    that's absolutely fantastic! Congrats on getting over that major milestone.
    You should sign yourself up for a 5k race when you're finished the programme. If you have a Parkrun near you that would be ideal.
    It's amazing what you can achieve alright.... once you want to do it enough!

its going better than I expected.And i must say it is quite enjoyable once your out there. just trying to get out is a problem...

I'm hoping to do run in the dark in November all going well in cork

• Advertisement

its going better than I expected.And i must say it is quite enjoyable once your out there. just trying to get out is a problem...

I'm hoping to do run in the dark in November all going well in cork

Great idea for November. Good to set yourself a goal like that. It'll make you stick with it having something to work towards.

Advertisement