Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland vs Manchester United - Sunday 24th August, 16:00PM

• 24-08-2014 12:18pm

'The Louis van Gaal era began in disappointing fashion last weekend as Swansea City recorded a shock 2-1 win at Old Trafford, a result that brought Manchester United fans back down to earth following a hugely successful pre-season tour of America.
    The Reds must now respond and head to Sunderland, hoping to maintain the positive away form that yielded 34 points from 57 on the road. However, the Black Cats are much-improved under Gustavo Poyet and head into this match on the back of an encouraging 2-2 draw at West Bromwich Albion.
    Memories of last term’s Capital One Cup semi-final success over United are also fresh in the mind at the Stadium of Light.'

I'm predicting a tough earned 2-1 away win for Man Utd in light of RVP's return.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

kudos on a normal opening post for a match thread, and none of the fancy crest bullshít.

• kudos on a normal opening post for a match thread, and none of the fancy crest bullshít.

Going to be a tough encounter today. Sunderland look very organized under Poyet which concerns me.
    However our form has been good away from home so this reads as a really good game for the neutrals tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

1-1. Utd will dominate but will fail to take advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Utd 2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

3-1 Sunderland is what I'm going for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Core meltdown II

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drab draw quickly glossed over by pictures of DiMaria with a United Jersey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

will Blackett start?

• Trilla wrote: »
    will Blackett start?

Doesn't it depend on Evans?? Blackett would need to start the match if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Sunderland 1-4 United

Wickham, Rooney*2, Mata and Janjuaz

• Advertisement

Is Evans in the match squad? I'm hoping he is for United first of all, and my fantasy football team secondly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Relatively comfortable away win which will hopefully act as the smack in the face needed to the decision makers at the club that our squad is piss poor and we're short about 4 players with a week to go.

We're essentially even going into this game with 10 men as we still don't have a first choice, Premier League standard LWF fit and ready to play. Ridiculous.

We'll probably line out as below:
    Mannone

Vergini/Jones O'Shea Brown van Aanholt

Cattermole

Rodwell Larsson

Johnson
    Wickham

Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Same story as the Swansea game I think..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Unfortunately, I think United will at best get a draw here.

De Gea
    --- Jones --- Evans --- Blackett
    Rafael
    Young
    Cleverley - Fletcher

Mata

Van Persie --- Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

DDG
    ---Jones----Smalling
    Blackett---
    Rafael
    Young
    Flecther
    Cleverley

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

That is the best possible line up I can think of with the options, assuming RVP is ok to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Utd to lose and Di Maria's price to go up by 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Valencia, Cleverley, Fletcher, Mata, Young; Rooney, van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

#SAFC: Mannone, Vergini, van Aanholt, Brown, O'Shea (c), Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell, Buckley, Wickham, Fletcher.

Jack Rodwell for MOM :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Comfortable enough win for the new little horse I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

4-0 United, Van Persie hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

#SAFC: Mannone, Vergini, van Aanholt, Brown, O'Shea (c), Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell, Buckley, Wickham, Fletcher.

Johnson out because of illness. So we've Buckley on one wing and a striker on the other. **** me.

0-2, Van Persie and Rooney with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Valencia, Cleverley, Fletcher, Mata, Young; Rooney, van Persie
    The difference in quality between the front three and the rest of the outfield players is unbelievable!

frimpong wrote: »
    The difference in quality between the front three and the rest of the outfield players is unbelievable!

Young....eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Young....eh? :pac:

The last three named aren't the front three

The last three named aren't the front three

Alright Buzz Killington...

Really excited at the prospect of watching the top class ability of TC23 and Fletch on display in the middle of the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Not at home today and not sure if it's ok to ask but can anyone pm me a decent link for the match ?

Cheers !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

De Gea to cost United the win with a late blunder from a scuppered John O'Shea effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Same story as the Swansea game I think..

2-1 to the away team?

Nice one.

frimpong wrote: »

Like the Dutch WC team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That United team wouldn't frighten anybody. Very weak looking in midfield. They have three top attacking players but you have to give them a good supply and I don't see that happening very often.

I fancy Sunderland win this one with Larrson being a big danger taking shots from distance here. Fletcher is a very smart striker and will find gaps between the United back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Confidence is smashed and he starts Cleverly. FFS! :mad:

madcabbage wrote: »

Destroy and rebuild and all that I'm guessing?

• Advertisement

Who else is there?

Is it me or is the UPC SD sky channel much worse this season? Are they trying to force people to get the HD add on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Stop calling him Dia Maria!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dwight Yorke is not a mathematician.

Mata is at United for near 12 months...

Stop calling him Dia Maria!!!

He may be a God...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RobertKK wrote: »
    Dwight Yorke is not a mathematician.

Mata is at United for near 12 months...

He joined in January. Nearly 9 months. Or is that the point you are making? Hard to tell.

As opposed to?

He joined in January. Nearly 9 months. Or is that the point you are making? Hard to tell.

Towards the end of January so 7 months.

Yorke said he is at United near 12 months and hasn't done enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

adox wrote: »
    Who else is there?

There is this fella called Kagawa, he might be more useful than auld Tom boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Decent tracks being played at the Stadium of Light, bit of Pearl Jam there and then some Chilis.

4-2 United

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Was looking forward to this and now see a midfield of TC23 and Fletcher...oh dear god. Back in may you really couldn't imagined that. Disgraceful. Suppose to be the biggest club in the world.

Hopefully Tom's last game to start for United for a very very very long time - eternity would do me.

I would guess that Van Gaal doesn't see Kagawa as a player to play in a midfield two.

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to this and now see a midfield of TC23 and Fletcher...oh dear god. Back in may you really couldn't imagined that. Disgraceful. Suppose to be the biggest club in the world.

Why are you surprised? As soon LVG said Herrera was injured it was always going to be Fletcher and Cleverley starting today.

steps_3314 wrote: »

I don't know who else people expected to start today? It was obvious since Herreras injury that the two of them would start today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement