Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland vs Manchester United - Sunday 24th August, 16:00PM

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Two matches into the season (one for Liverpool) and already the crap is rolling!

• Billy86 wrote: »
    ashley Young initiated the contact. You cannot throw yourself into a player and look for a penalty, or at least without using some nuance.
    Lolistic

So he shouldn't have went for the ball at all and should have strolled back to midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Your still not getting it. But I understand why you don't.

That's what LVG has just stated.
    The warriors return
    I can recall Sterling doing the same thing multiple times...but hes not a 'diver' so it's ok for him.

Do not bring up Liverpool or Liverpool fans into this thread further please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lolistic

So he shouldn't have went for the ball at all and should have strolled back to midfield.
    Yes, that is EXACTLY what I said. Oh lollipops. Lollipops, Lollipops, Lollipops.

He shouldn't have jumped into Wes Brown. Because when you leave the ground in order to make contact with a player and look to get a free/penalty from it, it is a dive. It is that simple.

And if he was going to dive, he at least could have used a bit more tact. Booting the ball out for a goal kick and flailing yourself in the air before even making contact is not using tact, it is a stupid move from a stupid player. Had he taken a decent touch and continued to run, Brown would almost surely not have been able to stop himself, and he would have at least sold it better that way. That is playing for a penalty also, not diving.

One is cynical and exploits the rules of the game to your advantage, the other is cheating. It is very simple.

• Billy86 wrote: »
    Yes, that is EXACTLY what I said. Oh lollipops. Lollipops, Lollipops, Lollipops.

He shouldn't have jumped into Wes Brown. Because when you leave the ground in order to make contact with a player and look to get a free/penalty from it, it is a dive. It is that simple.

And if he was going to dive, he at least could have used a bit more tact. Booting the ball out for a goal kick and flailing yourself in the air before even making contact is not using tact, it is a stupid move from a stupid player. Had he taken a decent touch and continued to run, Brown would almost surely not have been able to stop himself, and he would have at least sold it better that way. That is playing for a penalty also, not diving.

One is cynical and exploits the rules of the game to your advantage, the other is cheating. It is very simple.

I don't agree with you in this case. It's very simple. Just have to be careful at the moment as I'm being reported. I will park it there.

• Apologies to Rarnes1 for sublimely suggesting your a keyboard warrior.

Apologies to Rarnes1 for sublimely suggesting your a keyboard warrior.

lol, you're alright. No offense taken whatsoever :)

• rarnes1 wrote: »
    lol, you're alright. No offense taken whatsoever :)
    And that's not a lick just for the mods sake. I genuinely am trying to keep it civil. I know we will have plenty of clashes in the future but trying my best.

On the point of Young I still believe that he jumped for the sake of himself more so than the dive. But he added his theatrics too it. His reputation proceeds him and that's his own fault.

However if he had not have jumped it would have been a penalty. The defender committed and he would have caught him. In fact he did catch him but Young looks like a fool when he jumps like that.

But to LVG's point; that is what he was stating in the after match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apologies to Rarnes1 for sublimely suggesting your a keyboard warrior.

Subliminally maybe, not sublimely! :pac:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kryogen wrote: »
    Really excited at the prospect of watching the top class ability of TC23 and Fletch on display in the middle of the park

They put on a clinic in fairness to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Only turned it on after the gaelic, it was a match very low in quality. United seem to play the ball sideways or back a lot, Mata is a chief suspect. Rooney is on his 200m a year or whatever, so it does not matter to him.

Hate to admit it, but it was the fear factor of Fergie that kept the whole show on the road.

• K-9 wrote: »
    Subliminally maybe, not sublimely! :pac:
    A typo gets nailed.

Gota love this place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

madcabbage wrote: »
    I hate to say it but this match has just been painful to watch, nearly as bad a a stinker from the Moyes era.

There is an implication here that the "new era" is any better than the Moyes era or that the Moyes era is in the dim and distant past. No improvements and both games are similar to last year.

If nothing else, these games should bring home to us all that Moyes was only a small part of the problem at United. Fergie's legacy a much greater one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've watched the Vine of Young's "dive" a number of times and I honestly still think it's a penalty. :pac:

He knocks the ball past Brown and Brown clips his leg. Is he looking for it? Sure. But it's very, very similar to when a player knocks the ball past a goalkeeper and tumbles over for a penalty. Brown should never have given him the chance to go down. It was a reckless and lumbered thing to do in the box.

Maybe the Vine is not the best angle, I don't know. From what I've seen though I still say penalty. I think we got away with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Paully D wrote: »
    I've watched the Vine of Young's "dive" a number of times and I honestly still think it's a penalty. :pac:

He knocks the ball past Brown and Brown clips his leg. Is he looking for it? Sure. But it's very, very similar to when a player knocks the ball past a goalkeeper and tumbles over for a penalty. Brown should never have given him the chance to go down. It was a reckless and lumbered thing to do in the box.

Maybe the Vine is not the best angle, I don't know. From what I've seen though I still say penalty. I think we got away with that one.

Penalty or not it was a theatrical dive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement