Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland vs Manchester United - Sunday 24th August, 16:00PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Blackett has probably been our best player so far today. Sure that's not exactly saying a lot, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Rooney seems to be using the captaincy to pull rank on the set-pieces, hasn't hit the target yet this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Zico wrote: »
    Rooney seems to be using the captaincy to pull rank on the set-pieces, hasn't hit the target yet this season.

This one and a half game season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Billy86 wrote: »
    Blackett has probably been our best player so far today. Sure that's not exactly saying a lot, but still...

Yes, his defending a moment ago was a rare positive from this match so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Nib wrote: »
    Bv0GkxECcAAsbxK.png

Rafa Nadal has some leap on him doesn't he .

Phil Jones is in awe of what he is seeing .

Zico wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, he'll never be called up on it by the English media.

• Our lack of pace is telling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

This one and a half game season?

Yes

He was awful against Valencia too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

boring game so far.
    back to watching some ice bucket challenges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

United's play is so one paced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Blackett our best player so far today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Disappointing stuff so far. Can't wait until we're back to full strength. These injuries killing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Our lack of quality is telling

Ftfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Buckley looks a great signing for us, old school winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Danger781 wrote: »
    Disappointing stuff so far. Can't wait until we're back to full strength. These injuries killing us.

No midfield is killing us.

• Advertisement

Yes, his defending a moment ago was a rare positive from this match so far.

And again just now to keep it in and get it up to Rooney. Too early to tell but he looks like he has a good ability to play intelligent and switch to attack quite well, a bit like Rio. Highly doubt he'll turn out as good mind you, but for my money that's because Ferdinand is the best defender the club has probably ever had. Different matter for a different day though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Our lack of pace is telling

Yep. Nobody beating a man and opening things up. Passing it around is great and all but it's wasted if you aren't breaking down their formation.

They seem to be less nervous, which is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Quite impressed with him myself

• Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ftfy.

Ftfy?? Why?

Yeah, he has looked good. Your biggest threat anyway. He is facing Ashley Young though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I think he's been the best player on the pitch. Only problem is he's against Blackett who's been Uniteds best player

Young and Valencia both at fault there. And Jones could have done better too, though some effort from Stephen Fletcher all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

United really do need at least 3 players based on this. No pace, nothing offered from the middle and a team full of sub standard players who would never get a look in at any top club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No midfield is killing us.

Fletch's touch is awful, and Cleverley is rubbish. He's never in space to receive the ball unless it's in a non threatening area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Yeah, he has looked good. Your biggest threat anyway. He is facing Ashley Young though

He's facing Blackett not Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Smalling - Keane finally done.
    I was hoping they'd bring on RVP. Be nice to see him play.

Aaand that's injury #5 officially for our defence. And a poor foul from the one 'proper' defenders have left in Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Jesus this dire with Smalling off now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Strange they waited so long to bring on Keane if it is a hamstring issue.

Trilla wrote: »
    Fletch's touch is awful, and Cleverley is rubbish. He's never in space to receive the ball unless it's in a non threatening area

There's no one to pick a pass onto the forwards either.

The only movement is when Rooney and rvp get on to the ball but there hardly getting it cause quality behind them is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

van Aanholt is atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Trilla wrote: »

Fletchers everything is piss poor today. cleverly is just ****ing spineless, phil jones makes more attacking movements FFS

KH25 wrote: »
    United really do need at least 3 players based on this. No pace, nothing offered from the middle and a team full of sub standard players who would never get a look in at any top club.

This is why I was hoping we would gut the team and build up from youth and some key signings in midfield and defence. Just having the option of potentially playing Young, Fellaini, Cleverly and (to a lesser extent) Valencia is a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Poor and all as utd are you just know they will fluke the 3 points here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Danger781 wrote: »

Can anyone actually remember when the last time was United had less than 2-3 injuries in the squad?? It's like the whole squad is made of glass!

• There's no one to pick a pass onto the forwards either.

The only movement is when Rooney and rvp get on to the ball but there hardly getting it cause quality behind them is awful.

Exactly. blaming rvp and Rooney is pointless we have nobody to attack the back four of Sunderland with pace. So predictable to defend against so rvp and Rooney are forced to drop deep

He's facing Blackett not Young

Sigh.

Adnan and kagawa needed in this game even Welbeck would do better job in midfield least would add bit of pace and forward movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This is ridiculous we've gone from 2 of the best ever Pl centre halves in Rio & Vidic to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'll eat my own face is Rooney isn't dropped to CM and Cleverly off for either Welbeck or Hernandez! The midfield is just non existent.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

When De gea is our best passer... God almighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

One by one, they all fall. Until only Cleverley, stands tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Possibly the worst midfield performance I have ever seen from a united team.

And I've been watching for about 30 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Anyone who thought Fletcher would be a new signing must surely need to have a word with themselves.

• In fairness smalling is quality when he's fit. He reminds me of rio , pushes forward from the back. Injury to him is bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

madcabbage wrote: »
    I'll eat my own face is Rooney isn't dropped to CM and Cleverly off for either Welbeck or Hernandez! The midfield is just non existent.:(

It needs to happen. Right now, both Cleverley and Fletcher are offering less than nothing. Midfield is a gaping whole exacerbated by Young and Valencia being cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Have United got the worst CM pairing in the league? Seriously?

Fletcher has been awful and don't even get me started on that ****head TC23.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Van Gaal will be contacting Ed telling him to hurry up with the transfer targets and adding in a defender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

MagicIRL wrote: »

TC23? Tom Cleverly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

MagicIRL wrote: »

Possibly yes. They simply cannot do anything more than what lads in the street do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement