Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland vs Manchester United - Sunday 24th August, 16:00PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Strange they waited so long to bring on Keane if it is a hamstring issue.

Very strange, you can't be messing about with a suspected hamstring. You might be able to feel out and try and run off an ankle tweak. But you have to get straight off with any hamstring issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rubbish.

Need at least one more CM badly.

Carrick Herrara are fine
    Jury still out on Fellaini
    Kagawa and Jones can play there if we're stuck.

Fletch, Cleverley and Anderson are not up to it. Sell them, doesn't matter for how much. Just get rid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Thought Cleverley started off poorly but improved as it went on. Still not a great player but not feeling the hate today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Have United got the worst CM pairing in the league? Seriously?

Fletcher has been awful and don't even get me started on that ****head TC23.

Yes, they would be challenging for a top 4 place for worst midfield in the league with today's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Sigh.

That's my bad, I forget Young is playing for ye

That's my bad, I forget Young is playing for ye

Lucky you

Augmerson wrote: »
    TC23? Tom Cleverly?

Almost right....

TC23 = We'll give anyone €23 to take Tom Cleverly off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Fletch is obviously going nowhere though. He is Vice Captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

edgecutter wrote: »
    Anyone who thought Fletcher would be a new signing must surely need to have a word with themselves.

He's doing as good as he can with what he's been given IMO. I think he's working pretty hard and putting a good shift in. Playing as the lone striker for a team like Sunderland isn't easy.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Thought Cleverley started off poorly but improved as it went on. Still not a great player but not feeling the hate today

Well there's another whole 45 mins for him to run wreck, that might change your mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

He will never ever be united quality and the sooner everyone accepts this we may finally realise that major surgery is needed in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

KH25 wrote: »
    It needs to happen. Right now, both Cleverley and Fletcher are offering less than nothing. Midfield is a gaping whole exacerbated by Young and Valencia being cack.

the fact the the only defence cutting passes those 4 have made were against our own ****ing defence

2 goal posts would be more effective in mid atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Am I the only one who didn't think Cleverley was bad? Must be, thought Fletcher was poor but Cleverley was alright. Young and Valencia are still showing they aren't really up to it defensively in my view.

I don't get why Cleverley seems to be getting all the blame for the final third. Him and fletcher are playing holding midfielders surely Rvp, Mata, Rooney, Valencia and Young should be creating a lot more chances. They seem to be just passing it around waiting for a chance rather than making one. No creativity or flair at all. Nothing worrying about United being in possession.

Didn't expect much of a different performance in the spaces of 7 days, just hoping they can do enough to win this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Paully D wrote: »
    He's doing as good as he can with what he's been given IMO. I think he's working pretty hard and putting a good shift in. Playing as the lone striker for a team like Sunderland isn't easy.

:p

He has been arguably our worst player in the 1.5 games so far this season. Always been a fan of his e en 8-10 years ago when e ermine hated the guy, but I hate to say it - the illness has done him in at this level.

Edit: bah, just noticed!

Move Rooney back, Bring on Januzaj maybe?

• Augmerson wrote: »
    TC23? Tom Cleverly?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

If Di Maria caught this match on the plane over he'd get them to divert to Paris or just pop the hatch and throw himself out if he knows what's good for him. Absolute shambles of a performance from United .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I assume there'll be changes at half time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Fletcher looks less mobile than usual. I saw someone say earlier that cleverly is spineless and I have to agree. He does this thing where he makes a big bluster of showing for the ball when he knows it is unlikely it'll be passed to him. He hides between the lines of opposition players very subtly and dare i say cleverly, out of fear. He half shows for it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Danger781 wrote: »
    Fletch is obviously going nowhere though. He is Vice Captain.

Far as I'm concerned that was a token jesture.

He's not worth a ****e most days. He only looks good against very week teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Far as I'm concerned that was a token jesture.

He's not worth a ****e most days. He only looks good against very week teams.

i thought sunderland were a weak team !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I hope the signing of Di Maria forces LVG to change formation because this one serves no purpose other than keeping mata/rooney/RVP happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

That little number 7 on the Barclays advert seems to be able to take a challenge without being out for weeks.
    Snap him up Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kagawa on for Cleverly please. CMs needed so bad its disgusting. Such a lack of precision in midfield. Its all slow paced and sideways.

The space Sunderland are giving. Letting United walk into their half knowing there is just nothing creative there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He only looks good against very week teams.

Yeah. Like Sunder.....shit.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't think Cleverley was bad? Must be, thought Fletcher was poor but Cleverley was alright. Young and Valencia are still showing they aren't really up to it defensively in my view.

I don't get why Cleverley seems to be getting all the blame for the final third. Him and fletcher are playing holding midfielders surely Rvp, Mata, Rooney, Valencia and Young should be creating a lot more chances. They seem to be just passing it around waiting for a chance rather than making one. No creativity or flair at all. Nothing worrying about United being in possession.

Didn't expect much of a different performance in the spaces of 7 days, just hoping they can do enough to win this game.

He doesn't pass the ball forward
    He doesn't look for the ball unless he's in acres
    He never makes great runs
    He's fouled a few times today
    Theres a gaping hole in midfield when Sunderland get the ball

Fletchers touch is awful and he's mispassed twice but at least he's there to receive it and spread the play or run fwd.

Both awful today but fletch is trying, don't be fooled by Tc23 putting his hands up looking for the ball when he's in a pointless position or marked heavily. That annoys me the most. It's like he's pretending he wants the ball all the time. He's not good enough and Fletcher is finished.

I love how RVP, Rooney, Mata, Young and Valencia seem to be getting off scot-free by most even though they should be the players offering creativity in the final third.

Although Fletcher has been poor and Cleverley hasn't exactly been great they are still not the main reason we are lacking a threat up front.

The forward players seem to be content just dropping and passing, not really taking people on, or getting into great positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

even if utd get three points here, their defence is shocking, very worrying that sunderland are getting such joy up front. we can talk about injuries etc but they are badly organised.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Kagawa on for Cleverly please. CMs needed so bad its disgusting. Such a lack of precision in midfield. Its all slow paced and sideways.

The space Sunderland are giving. Letting United walk into their half knowing there is just nothing creative there.

That defence needs a leader too. Utd just have to sign an experienced defender who will keep them organised.

syngindub wrote: »
    i thought sunderland were a weak team !!

They have players who are willing to put in a shift and battle unlike most the United team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Fletcher looks less mobile than usual. I saw someone say earlier that cleverly is spineless and I have to agree. He does this thing where he makes a big bluster of showing for the ball when he knows it is unlikely it'll be passed to him. He hides between the lines of opposition players very subtly and dare i say cleverly, out of fear. He half shows for it a lot.

Thank God someone noticed this. I see him do it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I love how RVP, Rooney, Mata, Young and Valencia seem to be getting off scot-free by most even though they should be the players offering creativity in the final third.

Although Fletcher has been poor and Cleverley hasn't exactly been great they are still not the main reason we are lacking a threat up front.

The forward players seem to be content just dropping and passing, not really taking people on, or getting into great positions.

How can they offer anything in the final third when they have to drop into CM to actually get the ball cause the midfield is so ineffective?

Trilla wrote: »
    He doesn't pass the ball forward
    He doesn't look for the ball unless he's in acres
    He never makes great runs
    He's fouled a few times today
    Theres a gaping hole in midfield when Sunderland get the ball

Fletchers touch is awful and he's mispassed twice but at least he's there to receive it and spread the play or run fwd.

Both awful today but fletch is trying, don't be fooled by Tc23 putting his hands up looking for the ball when he's in a pointless position or marked heavily. That annoys me the most. It's like he's pretending he wants the ball all the time. He's not good enough and Fletcher is finished.

Look it's clear a lot of people just dislike Cleverley. He could go on and score a hat trick and people would still criticise him.

I think he's been so-so but doesn't warrant the criticism he is getting here. I'm not even a big fan of his.

We can't blame the two holding midfielders for our poor attacking display. The way the team is set up Valencia and Young should be offering more down the wings and Mata should be linking up better with RVP and Rooney.

I'm going to go back to watch the game, I'll let everyone else spend their time here just giving out about Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HOW IS THAT A FREE KICK? Jesus wept.

Trilla wrote: »
    Fletch, Cleverley and Anderson are not up to it. Sell them, doesn't matter for how much. Just get rid

When some were being patient a couple of years ago, I wanted rid of Cleverly and Anderson. At this stage I would pay any team to take those wasters off us.

no changes at half time?

Cleverley got bailed out there.

awful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Terrible choice from Young there. Give it back to Cleverley.

Ask yourself why the forwards are dropping in all the time, and it's not as simple as rooney mata and Rvp aren't taking on anyone or taking up positions. Other things need to happen

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How did they not score there! Unlucky Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Why are Utd playing 3 at the back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

What a goal that would have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Terrible choice from Young there. Give it back to Cleverley.

Never give the ball to Cleverley.

Comical defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Wickham is useless. He's living off those few goals at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That was so close.

Jesus christ what was that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Rooney doesnt have that explosive burst anymore to run away from a player.

We are all kinds of ****e. Another awful performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

NoelJ wrote: »
    Wickham is useless. He's living off those few goals at the end of last season.

2 games into the season and he's useless? He's been holding up well and is playing beside an alcoholic.

Advertisement