Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Simon Fun Run (5 miles) - Oct 4th 2014

Options
  • 24-08-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Anyone else signing up for this?

I sure am!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

I am now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Tough enough as 5 milers in the Park go, with an uphill start and finish. The Khyber tends to do a lot of "sorting out" in the last half mile :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Going to do it, need to start upping the distance in my races. I've been getting lazy and just doing 5k races.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Yes I think I shall to mark the occasion and for a good cause.. it'll be 1 year since I started running. A Runniversary of sorts *ducks* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

25 days and I'm a little nervous about this race. My calves have been acting up and I'm training carefully so I don't injure myself. But haven't been able to get past 3 k!!

Still, 25 days gives me time right?

• Advertisement

Tough enough as 5 milers in the Park go, with an uphill start and finish. The Khyber tends to do a lot of "sorting out" in the last half mile :eek:

Ran up this the other day during a trial run of the half marathon route, didn't seem so bad, but then it's early on for the half marathon so maybe that's the why!!!

Hmmmm. I've a race the following weekend but Simon are my favourite charity. Think I'll sign up for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

25 days and I'm a little nervous about this race. My calves have been acting up and I'm training carefully so I don't injure myself. But haven't been able to get past 3 k!!

Still, 25 days gives me time right?
    If you can get up to 6K before the day you'll be grand - in my experience (ie very little!) just taking part in a race gives you a boost, eg for my first 10K back in May I had only done 8K in training...

If you are still managing 3-4K before the day itself then just run-walk-run it. Keep a bit in the tank for the last 500m and run (sprint) through the finish - you'll have the atmosphere, people cheering etc, it won't matter how you got to that point...I guarantee you'll be thrilled with yourself. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Thanks whelzer!

I've been foam rolling and seems to be helping. Will be going for a run this weekend to try out the legs and see how I feel. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

SIgned up - Will make a change from the Parkruns - Upping the distance :)..

Signed up this morning and signed the kids up for the kidzone races too.

• Advertisement

Hey, does anyone know what's the best way to get to the starting line if you aren't driving? Is there a shuttle or a bus or something that would get me there? I don't drive, have a car or know anyone who does!

Where are you coming from? I will be heading over from Ballsbridge by bus :)... And walking over from the Quays...

I'll be walking from the Quays too, just was hoping for a more energy efficient way to get to the start line! :P

LOL - I had to walk 6 Km on Sunday to Rathfarnham, given there are no buses on a Sunday morning before teh 5K there - And ran a PHDPB (Post Herniated Disc Personal Best) - Must have been a good warm up :)....

ArgieExile wrote: »
    LOL - I had to walk 6 Km on Sunday to Rathfarnham, given there are no buses on a Sunday morning before teh 5K there - And ran a PHDPB (Post Herniated Disc Personal Best) - Must have been a good warm up :)....

Not everyone would be able to do a race after walking that distance though, we all have to start somewhere. I remember my first parkrun and watching them all doing their warmup thinking "if I did that I wouldn't be able for the run itself".

Does anyone know if this is a timed run?

The Simon run is Chip Timed, so yes it's a timed run, but there is HUGE element of Fun Run with this event, it's the cause that makes it. Those who are running for a time can enjoy it and get a good work out, the "fun" runners can enjoy the craic, the kids can have fun too - So all are catered for.

I sure wouldn't be able to run after walking that distance! Although, I was quite proud of being able to walk home after the Flora Women's Mini Marathon. :D

I'm a bit pressed for time on Saturday so will have to run it for the time, hoping to beat my last 5 mile time. Fingers crossed!

Signed up for this last night. My SIL and her BF are taking part, first races for both, so I might just run with them for the craic :)

Forecast for tomorrow according to Met Eireann:

Tomorrow, Saturday, will be cool and breezy, with bright or sunny intervals, but some scattered showers are likely also, a few of them possibly heavy. Max. temperatures only 13 or 14 Celsius in a moderate to fresh westerly wind.

Here's hoping the heavy showers hold off!!

Fingers crossed all right. I got a few decent stretches done before a 5 mile run yesterday which went better than expected. More core work planned for later; hopefully I will be in reasonable shape tomorrow. Best of luck to all taking part.

• Advertisement

T-shirts arrived today, sham they are not tech though.

T-shirts arrived today, shame they are not tech though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone know where to get the results for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get the results for this?

Precision Timing have them up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tang1 wrote: »
    Precision Timing have them up already.

Thanks. I missed that when I went online.

Great morning for it. I finished in 36:09.
    Happy enough with it but I was looking to get under the 36.
    First three miles were grand, felt the last two though, uphill mostly.
    My girls had a great time too, got medals in all the races they entered.

Only criticism would be the marshalling at the start. Far too many school kids in the way.

Missed out on this today and just did a parkrun instead.

I'll donate to simon today though.

Hope ye all had fun :)

Yeah, went well enough overall. Even though it took me only 10 seconds to get through the gantry, I still spent from there to the roundabout whizzing past and nearly knocking over kids, walkers, and others who shouldn't have been up there. With the little training I've done lately, a slower start might have been better in the long run, if more frustrating. After 3 miles I eased off a bit, having gone off too quick anyway; even then I found the Kyber very tough going and got passed by a few more there. Overall, 36:07 chip time, 2 minutes slower than my PB, but it felt nice to be out running without being too concerned about getting injured.

Goal race is the Clontarf HM, eight weeks from today. Baby steps!!

Would love to be that fast, nice one Wubble. Very tempted to do the clontarf HM myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ran this morning (4th time probably I've done it) and a good course for a very worthwhile cause. The start is always a major mess for this race because they market it as a fun run which is fine. In other races, I'ld be fairly miffed if a guy appeared from, what seemed like nowhere, at the 4 mile marker who wasn't out of breath and coasted by me.

However school kids starting right in the first line of runners with their arms linked together is an accident waiting to happen. Why the steward with the loudhailer didn't at least try and tell people to move back or unlink arms was a bit amiss.

Advertisement