Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The woes of a hairy man in Dublin looking for a simple trim...

Options
  • 24-08-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My hair has been going through this ridiculous ten to twelve month long cycle for a few years now. I'd like some help breaking the chain.

I always let my hair get way too long for fear of whatever barber I end up trusting to bring it down in length, screwing up. This fear usually takes me about 6 months past my preferred length, as I'd rather my hair be too long than too short.

What I deem to be a normal haircut, just doesn't seem to be attainable anymore, as far as I can tell. Ever since that 'shaved sides, Mark Kermode flop on top' haircut(which I loathe) has somehow become the style of choice, it's been impossible to escape its influence when your goal of a cut is to retain some length. No matter what I ask for, I just end up looking like an obnoxious hipster. I just can't seem to get my hair cut to a particular length without influences from that overbearing style creeping in.

I end up opting to shave it all off and start growing my hair out again. It then takes me about 4 months to grow it back to the length I like it. This cycle leaves my hair looking the way I want it for about one month in every ten, which is just ridiculous...

I spent a good few hours yesterday, trying to find a decent barber through the internet. Every single one of (what appear to be) the most lauded barbers in Dublin, proudly decorate their facebook pages with picture after picture of just the cut I am trying to avoid. Not only are their sites littered with all these 'Johnny Bravos', but all the hairdressors themselves seem to be proudly donning variations of the 'do.

That's all fair enough, but I'd like to go to a talented hairdressor who shares my opinion on that cut just looking ridiculous... How can I expect someone to make my hair look good if I despise their taste?

Sorry, I think that may bave turned into a bit of a rant. Any ideas on where I should try? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have no idea of what kind of hair do you're actually looking for here.

The only advice I can give is find a photo of the hairstyle you want, or get a photo of yourself when your hair is as you like it and then bring it with you to the hairdresser. Trying to explain what you want to someone can be quite difficult, showing them is a lot easier.

And if it's a long style you're looking for maybe try a female salon as opposed to a barber's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Why not take a photo of yourself with your hair as you like it, then bring it to a hairdressers? Barbers can sometimes be a bit stuck in what they do, whereas a hair stylist in a salon may have more experience in variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

The Drury Barber has some skills. Try him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

My hair has been going through this ridiculous ten to twelve month long cycle for a few years now. I'd like some help breaking the chain.

I always let my hair get way too long for fear of whatever barber I end up trusting to bring it down in length, screwing up. This fear usually takes me about 6 months past my preferred length, as I'd rather my hair be too long than too short.

What I deem to be a normal haircut, just doesn't seem to be attainable anymore, as far as I can tell. Ever since that 'shaved sides, Mark Kermode flop on top' haircut(which I loathe) has somehow become the style of choice, it's been impossible to escape its influence when your goal of a cut is to retain some length. No matter what I ask for, I just end up looking like an obnoxious hipster. I just can't seem to get my hair cut to a particular length without influences from that overbearing style creeping in.

I end up opting to shave it all off and start growing my hair out again. It then takes me about 4 months to grow it back to the length I like it. This cycle leaves my hair looking the way I want it for about one month in every ten, which is just ridiculous...

I spent a good few hours yesterday, trying to find a decent barber through the internet. Every single one of (what appear to be) the most lauded barbers in Dublin, proudly decorate their facebook pages with picture after picture of just the cut I am trying to avoid. Not only are their sites littered with all these 'Johnny Bravos', but all the hairdressors themselves seem to be proudly donning variations of the 'do.

That's all fair enough, but I'd like to go to a talented hairdressor who shares my opinion on that cut just looking ridiculous... How can I expect someone to make my hair look good if I despise their taste?

Sorry, I think that may bave turned into a bit of a rant. Any ideas on where I should try? Thanks in advance.

I hear ya man, I'm looking to get a haircut myself and I actually sat down in a barbers in town last Sat and got up and left pretty soon after when I saw the form of the fellas who were cutting the hair. Being a fella as well you don't want to let on that you actually care too much about your hair when what you have on your head is pretty important. I've been told to avoid barbers full stop when it comes to longish hair and I'm thinking about trying the house of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are a few Chinese hairdressing places around and I find them great, though I'm not a guy. You show them a picture of what you want and they'll recreate it. I usually go to one on Talbot St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Throw some pictures up here of what you want/expect and you'll probably get recommendations that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Been going to the Turkish barbers on Aungier st last few times really good reasonable prices and hot towel shave v good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You need to find a good hairdresser.

This is not a joke, btw. Any decent hairdresser should be able to meet your requirements as long as you can give them a clear idea of what you want.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sams Barbers on Ormond Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Try Alan in the Regent Barber, Fownes Street.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

The Grooming Rooms - South William Street.

I can't stand a too short hair cut either(makes me look like a teenager) and I'll be going here for the foreseeable.

Unlike a barber* they actually listen to you

*most barbers

Advertisement