Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about rechecking and second round

• 24-08-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

On the bright side I got 530 points, while on the dark side I failed HL English. Considering the fact that I'm living in an English speaking country for two years only, I'm happy with my result.

For my course (Computer Science) I need 465 points on TCD or 470 on UCD. From the beginning I wanted Trinity, it was my goal and my motivation, don't ask me why, because I don't know.

However, because of fail in English I didn't get offered a place on TCD, but I did get offered a place on UCD.

And I still don't know why am I not accepting offer from UCD, if someone thinks I am making a mistake and he can back up and support his reasons, please let me know.

Now, the rechecking part: I'm gonna recheck my English script and hopefully I'll pass, because I don't think I did it so bad. If that happens, whats the procedure of applying for a second round offers?
    How do I apply again, do I need to pay for applying?
    As far as I understand if I pass English, TCD is gonna offer me a place if available, but if not, they are gonna offer me a place for a next year? Which actually suits me, because in both cases I have to defer a year.

Or

If I don't pass English, I can sit ordinary level English paper next year, get a pass, use points from this year and get my place on TCD (I doubt it it's gonna rise for 65 points)? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Nicke011 wrote: »
    On the bright side I got 530 points, while on the dark side I failed HL English. Considering the fact that I'm living in an English speaking country for two years only, I'm happy with my result.

For my course (Computer Science) I need 465 points on TCD or 470 on UCD. From the beginning I wanted Trinity, it was my goal and my motivation, don't ask me why, because I don't know.

However, because of fail in English I didn't get offered a place on TCD, but I did get offered a place on UCD.

And I still don't know why am I not accepting offer from UCD, if someone thinks I am making a mistake and he can back up and support his reasons, please let me know.

Now, the rechecking part: I'm gonna recheck my English script and hopefully I'll pass, because I don't think I did it so bad. If that happens, whats the procedure of applying for a second round offers?
    As far as I understand if I pass English, TCD is gonna offer me a place if available, but if not, they are gonna offer me a place for a next year? Which actually suits me, because in both cases I have to defer a year.

Or

If I don't pass English, I can sit ordinary level English paper next year, get a pass, use points from this year and get my place on TCD (I doubt it it's gonna rise for 65 points)? :rolleyes:

Thanks!
    you don't pay or apply for a second round offer, if you are entitled to one you will be offered it but unfortunately if you failed English you will not get a 2nd round trinity offer so if you like the ucd course you need to accept it tomorrow at the latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Accept UCD right now. It's highly unlikely you'll be brought up to a pass in English (they don't fail people for fun).

UCD's course is pretty much just as good as Trinity's. In fact Trinity's CS labs look dire. The course should be your motivation - not the university! UCD is after all generally considered the second best in the country :)

Don't waste a year of your life just to redo English so you can go to Trinity instead of UCD.

Go and enjoy UCD, and get your degree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

You don't apply for a second round offer, if a higher preference on your cao becomes available and you meet the requirements, you'll be offered. You won't gwt your new result until October and if you do pass ENglish if your course in TCD has a place you can be offered it, if not you'll have to wait until next year. If english is a requirement you can't be offered the place at all if you didn't get the grade needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Same course , same degree , different college . It's only prestige really . At the end of the day you will have the same degree . I wouldn't waste a year of my life over this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Did I understand you to say that you have to defer for a year anyway?

If so, then doing OL English this year on its own does make sense.

Otherwise, accept UCD. If you do get brought up on a re-check (though I wouldn't bank on it) there is even a possibility that you might be able to take TCD this year. Trinity starts later than the other colleges so you wouldn't have missed as much, plus you would have been doing CS in UCD as well. And if not, there's not a thing wrong with the course you have been offered. It's not as if you even know yourself why you're so set on Trinity! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    The thing is that I have to defer a year.

There's a law that says, in order to be eligible for "free fees" you have to be resident in Ireland for three out of last five years.

So, because I'm living in Ireland for two years only, I am treated like international student and I have to pay whole course myself including student contribution that everyone pays.
    #NoMoneyProblems :D

So If I pass, I'll get offered a place on Trinity automatically. Even if there's a place available this year (in October) I'll ask them to defer a year. And if I don't pass, I'll redo my English, and repeat the process next year.
    Does that sounds alright and a bit more logical now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nobody else here knows that either. Ask yourself why you don't want to go to UCD? Is it the whole prestige thing of being able to say you go to Trinity? Do you think the Trinity course is better? Graduates of both courses will get the same type of jobs at the end of four years.

I'm not sure why anyone here would have to provide supporting reasons why you should take the place in UCD? Ask yourself what your reasons are for not taking the place.

If you get it rechecked and you are brought up to a D3 or higher, your new grade is passed onto the CAO. You will then be offered a place in Trinity. That won't happen until mid-October - if you get the upgrade. If they have space they may allow you to start straight away, if not they will offer you a place for next year.

You don't apply for second round offers, they happen automatically. You won't be getting one because you still don't meet the requirements for TCD. The offers in October are not called second round. Second round is next week.

The only costs associated with appealing is the €40 payment per subject. If you are upgraded you get your money back. If there is no change you don't.

Thanks!

Yes, you can do OL English next year, using this years point to apply for college there.

It sounds like you were going to defer your course either way this year. I assume that's because you would have to pay fees only being in the country for two years, and as far as I remember you need to be here three years.

What I would advise and this covers all bases. Take the UCD offer, and defer it. You'll have it as back up. Go and view your script next weekend, I suspect you are going to send it back either way.

If you get the upgrade you can take the TCD offer and defer it, and that will cancel your UCD offer. If you don't get the upgrade you can repeat English at OL and get the pass. Over the course of the year do a little research on the UCD course and take the opportunity to find out a little more about it.

Even though you will be deferring a course, you still have to apply to the CAO for it next year. Coming up to the Feb 1 deadline consider whether you will be happy with the UCD option or still want Trinity.

If you are happy with the UCD option, that's the only course you can put on your form. If you have deferred a course, that's the only one you put on your list, if you put even one more course on the list then your deferred place is cancelled and you are back in the main points race. If you get the TCD place on upgrade, same rules apply, only put down that course.

If you don't get the upgrade and no longer want to take the UCD course, then put down TCD first and maybe UCD second again. You are right in that it's unlikely for the course to rise from 465 to 530+, not an impossibility but unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So If I pass, I'll get offered a place on Trinity automatically. Even if there's a place available this year (in October) I'll ask them to defer a year. And if I don't pass, I'll redo my English, and repeat the process next year.
    Does that sounds alright and a bit more logical now? :D
    Yes, it does, having to defer anyway widens your options considerably / makes your question far more logical.

RBT has pretty much covered the bases for you in the post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Oh didn't realise you were deferring anyway . Your choice does make sense . :)530 is a great score . Your success is exemplified by the fact that all the exams were in English . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Nobody else here knows that either. Ask yourself why you don't want to go to UCD? Is it the whole prestige thing of being able to say you go to Trinity? Do you think the Trinity course is better? Graduates of both courses will get the same type of jobs at the end of four years.

I'm not sure why anyone here would have to provide supporting reasons why you should take the place in UCD? Ask yourself what your reasons are for not taking the place.
    It's not about that I don't want to go to UCD, it's about that I want to go to Trinity. It's about that I will always regret why didn't I went to Trinity and I could. :rolleyes: And for me it looks like I have a choice (passing OL English next year wouldn't be a problem), so why not pick the "better one", the one that I dreamed about from the beginning?
    By mentioning "supported reasons" I wanted to avoid posts like "Go to UCD, it's better".

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions, especially rainbowtrout for a very detailed one :rolleyes:
    You have some good points in it.

I'm gonna try to do what you have just said. But I'm not sure if that's gonna work out, because it might be late now.
    From CAO Handbook (about deferring procedure)
    3. The letter or e-mail must arrive in the Admissions Office at least two days before the "Reply Date" shown on the Offer Notice.

Anyway, I can always apply for UCD again next year. I know that it's not impossible for the course to rise for 60 points, but it's very unlikely (it didn't rise at all this year).

And yes, I'm definitely gonna research a bit more about both courses and visit the open days during this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That might be a strict deadline, but it might also be so they get all deferrals in before the last day of the first round instead of on the last day and they are not swamped.

Email them tonight and ask for a deferral. Ring the admissions office first thing in the morning and ask to speak to whoever deals with deferrals.

Realistically no one was probably working in UCD admissions office over the weekend so it wouldn't have made a difference if you sent it Friday night, Saturday morning or now. Colleges are like ghost towns at the weekend.

Ask them on the phone of they got your email and if they will grant you a deferral. The worst that can happen is that your deferral is refused.

Tomorrow is the last day of the first round offers. Presumably in CAO tradition that deadline is 5pm or thereabouts. You have all day to sort this out.

Advertisement