Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet charges?

• 24-08-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

We need to take Shadow to a vet tomorrow. Hes got a lump in the side of his neck where I would guess his gland to be? It could even be a swollen gland. Hes in no pain when we touch it and it rolls around but is hard. He is still eating amd drinking and playing with toys but he isnt as vocal as normal and seems a tad lethargic. Any ideas to prepare us for the worst? At ten years old I knew he couldnt stay healthy forever.

Aside from that, what is the rate these days for a consult and the diagnostics that go with a lump, just so we can he prepared for whatever he needs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Ask the vet in advance for an estimate as to how much it is going to cost for tests (if they need to be done). Most vets are happy to do this for you. For the initial visit, you will need to pay consultation fee and any medication administered/tests done. Ask before anything is done how much it will cost. Different parts of the counrty have different costs and even different vets in one area can differ quite a bit, so the best person to ask is your individual vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We need to take Shadow to a vet tomorrow. Hes got a lump in the side of his neck where I would guess his gland to be? It could even be a swollen gland. Hes in no pain when we touch it and it rolls around but is hard. He is still eating amd drinking and playing with toys but he isnt as vocal as normal and seems a tad lethargic. Any ideas to prepare us for the worst? At ten years old I knew he couldnt stay healthy forever.

Aside from that, what is the rate these days for a consult and the diagnostics that go with a lump, just so we can he prepared for whatever he needs.

I think I pay around €40-€45 for a vet consultation. I have no idea of any other costs only that I find the bigger the dog the more the persciption a cost. Two of my dogs have lumps, I remember when I saw the first I completely freaked out. Our vet told us that they are fatty lumps that appear with age and that more would appear. He was right! One of them has two.
    With a bit of luck it might be something like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Millem wrote: »
    I think I pay around €40-€45 for a vet consultation. I have no idea of any other costs only that I find the bigger the dog the more the persciption a cost. Two of my dogs have lumps, I remember when I saw the first I completely freaked out. Our vet told us that they are fatty lumps that appear with age and that more would appear. He was right! One of them has two.
    With a bit of luck it might be something like that :)

Obviously whatever it takes we will do for him but I really hope its nothing serious! Hes my baby and I am soo not ready to let him go yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Obviously whatever it takes we will do for him but I really hope its nothing serious! Hes my baby and I am soo not ready to let him go yet!

Bailey's fees at our own vet were €400+ - that was for consult, sedation, removing the tumour, lab fees, X-rays( to see if there were more tumours). UCD estimated €600-700 for last week (ultrasound, ct, lab) and god only knows how much it'll be for surgery this week. So yeah pet insurance FTW

tk123 wrote: »
    Bailey's fees at our own vet were €400+ - that was for consult, sedation, removing the tumour, lab fees, X-rays( to see if there were more tumours). UCD estimated €600-700 for last week (ultrasound, ct, lab) and god only knows how much it'll be for surgery this week. So yeah pet insurance FTW

I don't pay much attention to our bills because we have pet insurance! The eldest just gets her medicine, we don't put her through any operations amymore. She has slowed down so much :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It sounds like it varies massively around the country. I had Felix in for a check up last week and it only cost 17 euro, which is a nice change, his ear is a major expense and the reason we don't get a holiday most years. I hope Shadow is ok and that it's something very minor.

It sounds like it varies massively around the country. I had Felix in for a check up last week and it only cost 17 euro, which is a nice change, his ear is a major expense and the reason we don't get a holiday most years. I hope Shadow is ok and that it's something very minor.

I find myself if something is not covered by insurance it is done cheaper. Shashabear I hope it's just a fatty lump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Millem wrote: »
    I find myself if something is not covered by insurance it is done cheaper. Shashabear I hope it's just a fatty lump :)

Absolutely. Felix had the problem when he first strayed into us so it's pre-existing and we don't have coverage for it. It's what prompted us to get insurance after that. Our vets are very good though and trim the expenses for his ear back as much as possible.

Absolutely. Felix had the problem when he first strayed into us so it's pre-existing and we don't have coverage for it. It's what prompted us to get insurance after that. Our vets are very good though and trim the expenses for his ear back as much as possible.

We are the same with our eldest, when we fostered her she was very run down and her skin was shocking. Now nothing to do with skin is covered :( anyway now she is old I think excess is 35% plus €100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

There's a very strong chance the lump is just a Lipoma, and the vet will diagnose it without having to do anything invasive. I've just had my Lab who's also 10 yrs old diagnosed with one on the side of her rib. Its a hard lump but mobile. It was diagnosed simply by the vet feeling it. Hopefully this will be the case with you too. Fingers crossed for you.

Editing to add - sorry shashabear I missed the bit where you said he was lethargic on first reading, but still hopefully it will be nothing serious.

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    There's a very strong chance the lump is just a Lipoma, and the vet will diagnose it without having to do anything invasive. I've just had my Lab who's also 10 yrs old diagnosed with one on the side of her rib. Its a hard lump but mobile. It was diagnosed simply by the vet feeling it. Hopefully this will be the case with you too. Fingers crossed for you.

Editing to add - sorry shashabear I missed the bit where you said he was lethargic on first reading, but still hopefully it will be nothing serious.

Gosh missed that bit too! I think our labs have the same lumps. If you press it, it moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The more you go back in our vets the less it seems to cost lol! For Lucy's eye for example - one checkup was a fiver, last eye check for Lucy and wound check for Bailey was free. My friend's dog has had a few of the fatty lumps too btw and no problems. At one stage she had 2 or 3 and they waited until she was going under for X-rays to remove them - otherwise they would have left them. With Bailey if the lump had of been anywhere else the vet would have given a local and lanced/biopsied it so would have been much much cheaper. It was only when she went in and found a tumour and under the lump that the X-rays and everything else was needed. I wonder how much the jaw surgery will be this week(!) and then staying in etc - an extra cost because my own vet is so close they let him home to me and have him in the next day to be checked etc. This will be our first big claim in 3 years...but I haven't claimed anything on Lucy's policy so it cancels out - right? ;)

The more you go back in our vets the less it seems to cost lol! For Lucy's eye for example - one checkup was a fiver, last eye check for Lucy and wound check for Bailey was free. My friend's dog has had a few of the fatty lumps too btw and no problems. At one stage she had 2 or 3 and they waited until she was going under for X-rays to remove them - otherwise they would have left them. With Bailey if the lump had of been anywhere else the vet would have given a local and lanced/biopsied it so would have been much much cheaper. It was only when she went in and found a tumour and under the lump that the X-rays and everything else was needed. I wonder how much the jaw surgery will be this week(!) and then staying in etc - an extra cost because my own vet is so close they let him home to me and have him in the next day to be checked etc. This will be our first big claim in 3 years...but I haven't claimed anything on Lucy's policy so it cancels out - right? ;)

Tk123 poor bailey seems to have bad luck :(
    Recently I was telling a collegue about our eldest getting her cataracts done etc..they said our house sounded like the Blackrock clinic!!! Our renewable is up in nov and I would say we haven't really claimed but I forget about all of the monthly medicines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Good vets will have a structured pricing plan for consults, so they have specific charges for the nature of each consultation. 2nd visit will be a percentage less, third visit discounted further, and often by the 4th/5th checkup you are only paying for medication or some nominal fraction of the initial exam fee (as there still needs to be some discussion/examination)

Sure some vets who are running bad business literally pull charges out of the air, or charge dependant on how much they *feel* the consult was worth. Often results in overcharging, lack of coherent treatment plan, or worse, lack of compliance by the owner to the detriment of the pet.

The reason an initial consultation is €45-50 is because it takes time to take a full and complete history, work out a treatment plan and clinical exam. If owners follow the treatment plan, and come back as scheduled, the same vet has less work to do, as they have all the history. so it makes sense, and its a mutually beneficial arrangement which makes sure the clients actually comes in for a follow up even if things as they see it, are 'fine'.

If you are following your vets advice and having the same condition or problem seen to within a relatively short time period, you really shouldn't be charged a full consult fee again and again.

I am having this problem with a extended family member at the moment. His dog has had an on going skin condition for about 2 years and he's never gotten to the bottom of it. He only takes the dog to the vet infrequently when it gets bad, about once every six months usually and as a result has been charged a full consultation + meds again and again, and of course, the dog never gets any better, and the vet never gets to the bottom of it because he never gets to follow up on any treatment. :rolleyes:
    I'd say he has spent a lot more at this stage, then if he stuck to the initial treatment plan and got to the bottom of it when it first appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We don't have pet insurance as by the time I had honestly learned about it, he was too old to be covered by most policies. He was quite lethargic last night but this morning has perked up. He is still quite obviously not right, but is playing with his squeaky and drinking water and going toilet outside. We rang the vet first thing this morning and she's booked him in for tomorrow morning (hoping that her one day delay means she's not too concerned).
    It's hard to explain, but he is behaving just like someone with a bad cold. He's just so mopey and is still behaving as normal but with much less gusto than is normal for him.

Advertisement