Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Indian Takeaway in Salthill

Options
  • 24-08-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a link or a number for that new Indian Takeaway in Salthill? I believe it moved into an old shop premises? Not sure which? Rabbittes? Just looking for a link to website or number.

If not is that other Indian in Salthill still in operation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

They're called Salthill Tandoori. I couldn't find a website for them. They're in the deli section of Rabbitte's in Lower Salthill.

You can order from them via what'sfordinner:

http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/restaurants-in-galway-salthill-tandoori-order-food-online.html

I haven't tried them yet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Eeden wrote: »
    They're called Salthill Tandoori. I couldn't find a website for them. They're in the deli section of Rabbitte's in Lower Salthill.

You can order from them via what'sfordinner:

http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/restaurants-in-galway-salthill-tandoori-order-food-online.html

I haven't tried them yet, though.

Thanks! I just googled the number for the shop chancing it was Rabbittes. :)
    I just got invited to dinner next door, so it will have to be tomorrow!

Let us know what you think of it when you try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I've had it. It's nice, nothing extraordinary but worth giving a try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

I've been there a few times, much the same as any other Indian, but prices are much more reasonable. approx €10/ main dish including rice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've tried it, really wouldn't recommend it at all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Bit off topic but, being new to the shores of Galway, I've got to thank you for showing me a service which will not only do justeats job but also ferry my beers to me!! Cheers man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Links234 wrote: »
    I've tried it, really wouldn't recommend it at all tbh
    Please elaborate as we generally do not allow anti-recommendations without any info. Particularly as tastes vary from person to person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I tried it last week and highly recommend it!

As said above, it's not that it's anything out of the ordinary, but the prices are much more keen than other Indians. Main course + rice + popadom = €10. You can also see them cooking infront of you which is always a nice touch.

I'll go back there again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I've been meaning to try it, I think it's great that there's an indian again in Salthill since Paprika closed up shop.

For takeaways I also prefer cheap over brilliant ;) So it sounds like it will suit me fine. Cheap enough to get food once a week or so.

I leave the top-notch places such as Kashmir and Thai Garden for eating out on special occasions, never get takeaway from there because it's just not the same experience sitting on the couch with a plate in your lap. If I pay that much I want to have a nice night eating out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

biko wrote: »
    Please elaborate as we generally do not allow anti-recommendations without any info. Particularly as tastes vary from person to person.

Apologies. A while ago, we gave the place a try, and we both ordered different dishes, I got a balti and she got something else. What I got definitely wasn't like any balti I've ever had before, and just seemed like a very bland generic curry, weak and flavourless. We tried each others, and they tasted exactly the same except she had lamb, they even looked the same. Her curry definitely wasn't anything like it was supposed to be either, but yeah... It just seems like they're fobbing off the same bland, tasteless curry as different dishes and hoping people won't notice the difference.

I've eaten in plenty of Indian places around town, Kashmir, Kumar's, Paprika in Salthill when it was still there, not to mention when I'm over in England, hell, you'd get a better Indian from one of the many food stalls in the Camden Markets for £4. I've had Indian food that I would say wasn't very good, but for this takeaway the food doesn't even resemble what they're trying to pass it off as, and that's why I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ok, here goes:
    Delivery: pretty fast (about 20-25 mins)
    Food: Ok/average. Ordered dishes we normally get elsewhere. Nothing special but not bad. Do agree that spicing could have a bit more attention.
    Value for money: Very good.

Overall was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Could it be, as they are new, they are just finding their feet or training in new cooks? Most new businesses are really receptive to customer feedback. If they don't listen, then good luck to them and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

I gave this place go, it's not bad at all. I had a lamb jalfrezi and pilau rice and it was nice. Best Indian take away in Galway? No. Good value for €9.50? Yes. I'd go back for the same thing (poppadoms are not good.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Best Indian take away in Galway? No. Good value for €9.50? Yes. I'd go back for the same thing (poppadoms are not good.)

Where is good value Indian?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Where is good value Indian?

I wouldnt say any are good value in Ireland but Tulsi is easily the best in town.

M&S is the only true good value indian take-away if you want to have it often.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

M&S is the only true good value indian take-away if you want to have it often.

Theyre lovely but they put the longer life naans in instead of the fresh which is unfortunate.

Yeah, I agree the naan leaves a lot to be desired. I wet it with water, wrap in foil, and place in oven which brings them back to life a bit. They used to carry keema nan and one or two other types but haven't for a few years now. It's tempting to get carry out just for naan bread. Joyces indian is also fine, in a pinch. They're stocked by a local indian woman and they used to carry fresher looking naan but haven't bought it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

Has the Salthill Tandoori disappeared already?

And could it be re-locating to Barna? I see a sign where Barna Estates was, announcing the forthcoming opening of an Indian take-away, and the sign looks a bit like the one from Salthill.....

• Advertisement

benji2006 wrote: »
    Has the Salthill Tandoori disappeared already?

And could it be re-locating to Barna? I see a sign where Barna Estates was, announcing the forthcoming opening of an Indian take-away, and the sign looks a bit like the one from Salthill.....

I just drove past there and noticed that the sign is gone, all right. Where is Barna Estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

I just drove past there and noticed that the sign is gone, all right. Where is Barna Estates?

It was an estate agents office in the centre of Barna, beside the cab office....on the right hand side on the way to Spiddal from town.

I wonder where they would do the cooking? would it not need a full kit-out and change-of-use permission?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement