Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Maritime College of Ireland

• 24-08-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey guys I just got a place in nmci and I have lots of questions,
    what's life down in like ringaskiddy?
    are there many young lads I'm just 17?
    is it easy to get to cork city?
    Info about marine engineering?
    is there any one starting this year who I can talk to, I don't know anyone.
    is the student accommodation alright?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Have you been down there at all like an open day? Im only heading into LC myself but I have been scouting this course for ages so I know a fair bit about it. Ringaskiddy is a pretty dull place .. you wont find much livelihood there (The City is your best bet). They take on about 40 people in marine engineering each year so there will be plenty lads (and ladettes) your age dont you worry. As far as I know there is a bus going from Ringaskiddy to the City and one to Carrigaline too. Marine engineering is basically working everything under the ship. They have actual ship engines in NMCI with other features and machines for you to work on. You will be doing work in workshops etc and they do saftey classes too like fire fighting. just google to get more detailed info. The student accommodation looks to be quite good .. Ive never been there or talked to anyone whos stayed there but NMCI have a purpose built estate with like 20 houses for students. Full internet access the lots etc. The estate is called ferryview .. they have a website you can check out for more details , pricing , pics etc www.ferryviewpark.com Thats about all I can tell you, I assume you know most of the info anyways. Looking to head to NMCI myself next year :D best of luck .. Also did you do for medical exams for the course entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 caiminmurp1

Thanks for your answer, ya I've been down to ringaskiddy and your right it's very dull,I'm gonna book my accommodation today in ferryview it seems alright and is probably my best hope of making friends down there too :p nope havent heard anything from the college about the medical but I'm expecting a letter Off them today

Well most of the accomodation in Ringaskiddy is just holiday home so your stuck for choice .. Ferryview looks decent enough though and the rent isnt too bad either. You could try searching for something in Carrigaline .. or inside the City but you would need a car I reckon to get in and out. To get into the course you have to pass a medical test and an eye sight test so best of luck with that.

Ya ferryview is decant but they want the rent for the term paid up front and I don't think il have it so il have to see if I can pay in installments if not il be going there next year

Try searching for places in carrigaline .. theres bus routes you can take .. or else contact the college and see if you could sort something out with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

if you've a car and friends going to UCC/CIT you could ask about house sharing with them and drive up/down to the NMCI. Ringaskiddy is very very quiet!

Thanks for the advice, haven't got a car but I'm thinking about staying in carrigaline, going down on the weekend to have a look around

There was a cancellation in ferryview got a room there

do you mind me asking .. is the rent paid up front on a 2 term basis? as in you pay for the first half of the year which is like 200p euro then after 20 weeks you pay for the second half ? basically how does the payment system work?

You pay your rent up until Christmass along with deposits which amounts to 2300, you pay that Monday the 15th and on January first you pay 1500approx

• Advertisement

Is that the only way they do it? also do you have to pay for Electricity and heating and refuse or is that in the rent?

Ya that's the only way, it's all included, WiFi and all other bills

Oh .. not bad so .. how many in a house?

4, they out you together with lads from the same course

Best of luck .. might see you there next year :D

Hope you do :) if you need to contract me again Facebook Me Caimin Murphy

Actually, one more question .. have you done a medical exam yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Glynch93

Just finished 1st year of marine electrotechnology which is mixed with marine engineers. first of all there's no women in marine engineering unless they head in this year or study nautical science and even at that there's very little. Next Ferryside is a ok place to stay. I live in the city but have been up there as my classmates stay there
    houses are nice and clean at the start but gradually become ruined by other lads on the lash and causing havoc. Rent has to be paid upfront so you're talking €2000-3000
    Next thing is ringaskiddy is dead year round. There's a local pub called the ferryboat Inn if.you get.thirsty. Driving is a serious plus as buses come at inconvenient times. The classes are tough if I'm honest but then again everyone differs.First year is all theory mainly with mechanical workshop and technical drawing
    After first year is passed it's all practical in second year onwards. Main subjects to study hard is thermodynamics, mechanics, electronics and physics. They were the main subjects failed this year. Small bit of advice is study hard and don't listen to classmates when study time comes around when they say 'i studied nothing blah blah' it's all rubbish. That's pretty much it. Enjoy it if you do decide to come here anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

everyone differs. fdiffers though

Glynch93 wrote: »
    Just finished 1st year of marine electrotechnology which is mixed with marine engineers. first of all there's no women in marine engineering unless they head in this year or study nautical science and even at that there's very little. Next Ferryside is a ok place to stay. I live in the city but have been up there as my classmates stay there
    houses are nice and clean at the start but gradually become ruined by other lads on the lash and causing havoc. Rent has to be paid upfront so you're talking €2000-3000
    Next thing is ringaskiddy is dead year round. There's a local pub called the ferryboat Inn if.you get.thirsty. Driving is a serious plus as buses come at inconvenient times. The classes are tough if I'm honest but then again everyone differs.First year is all theory mainly with mechanical workshop and technical drawing
    After first year is passed it's all practical in second year onwards. Main subjects to study hard is thermodynamics, mechanics, electronics and physics. They were the main subjects failed this year. Small bit of advice is study hard and don't listen to classmates when study time comes around when they say 'i studied nothing blah blah' it's all rubbish. That's pretty much it. Enjoy it if you do decide to come here anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

everyone differs. fdiffers though
    Im worried about passing the medical exam .. I dont have any serious disease/illness but one of my index fingers is not fully functioning and I am slightly over weight (although I am currently working to resolve that) do you think I could pass it or could you give me some details about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Glynch93

Hey Yall wrote:
    Im worried about passing the medical exam .. I dont have any serious disease/illness but one of my index fingers is not fully functioning and I am slightly over weight (although I am currently working to resolve that) do you think I could pass it or could you give me some details about it?

Do not worry about weight. The medical is not like the ones on TV with the treadmill etc. it's literally like a check up. eye sight test, weight takings,drug test through urine. that's it. Say it to the doc about the finger should be ok. don't stress it

Glynch93 wrote:
    Do not worry about weight. The medical is not like the ones on TV with the treadmill etc. it's literally like a check up. eye sight test, weight takings,drug test through urine. that's it. Say it to the doc about the finger should be ok. don't stress it

cheers man :D

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but could anyone tell me what are the hours like for marine engineering or any course for that matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smalls90

Marine eng is fairly intense. The hours are 9-5 Mon to Fri. Some course have a half day on the Fri but its not gaurenteed. Just started 1st year myself. Theres a lot of maths involved.

smalls90 wrote: »
    Marine eng is fairly intense. The hours are 9-5 Mon to Fri. Some course have a half day on the Fri but its not gaurenteed. Just started 1st year myself. Theres a lot of maths involved.

Are you working part time may I ask and do you live in Ringaskiddy or out somewhere else? I would need to work part time I think to support myself and I cant see that happening if im doing those hours in ringaskiddy of all places

Advertisement