Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to castle rd with kids?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi we are thinking of moving to Castle Road in Dundalk and have two young children two and four year olds and would appreciate any advice about the area have heard some negative report about antisocial behaviour and is usually after people coming home from the spirit store and mcmanuses! Walking over cars etc also we understand the two secondary schools at either end of the road so would be busy during term time ! thank you any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Hi we are thinking of moving to Castle Road in Dundalk and have two young children two and four year olds and would appreciate any advice about the area have heard some negative report about antisocial behaviour and is usually after people coming home from the spirit store and mcmanuses! Walking over cars etc also we understand the two secondary schools at either end of the road so would be busy during term time ! thank you any advice appreciated

Most of what you heard is 'kinda' true,..
    Schools both sides:True.. Slight parking along your road, yeah maybe! but nothing major.
    Anti Social behaviour: Can't say I've come across it, it's actually a pretty good place to live, basically sitting on top of Town centre, of course you will get the odd punter walking home, and the odd group singing(maybe)but pretty quiet over-all... Now you mentioned you have two kids, basically no front garden, but I heard the rear more than makes up for that.. That's it really, They're quite big houses.., everywhere and I mean everywhere in Town very accessible... Good Luck:)
    P.s: I'm a taxi driver in Dundalk, soooo quite sadly I literally know all the good and bad places to live in Dundalk..

There was a very unfortunate incident on that st not to many years ago, so if you hear about it!? well, that's just where it happened, no reason no understanding, it's just the street where it ended... P.m: me for more info if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Spent a lot of time on castle road growing up.

Houses are huge, with great back gardens but have no real front gardens.

There is n more anti social behaviour than any other area in town and id be surprised if you came across more than one or two incidents in a year.

You have st helenas park just across the road which the kids will enjoy and you are close to the schools as you menton and also not a million miles away from primary schools.

Stones throw from town as well as a few good pubs, decent chipper in kierans and a lidl/aldi (can never define) just around the corner.

The pros out weigh the cons by about a million to one.

My only concerns would be with little kids that road out front may be a bit dangerous so keep an eye on them and have them well up on the safe cross code!!!!!

Other wise, its a great area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You also have a good Lidl store on the corner and some good pubs and restaurants nearby.
    It's a good area.

It's a grand area but to be honest I'd look for an energy rating on any house there you're thinking of moving into. I've been in a few houses along there and one that had had plenty of renovation over the years was fine, another was very cold even on a summer's evening. Some of them have large, high-ceilinged rooms which aren't the easiest to heat even if insulated.
    Those would be my concerns, it's fine other than that as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

I grew up in the Seatown area and currently live in the Street parallel to Castle road. I am happy to answer any questions you want to fire across via PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Is there a danger of flooding on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bob2oo7 wrote: »

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Ok, it's just that I saw a good few houses had sandbags out earlier in the year when Georges Quay was flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bob2oo7 wrote: »

It used to flood at the St. Helena end but they did some work to prevent it and hasn't flooded there for years. Saw a canoe on it once years ago.

That was last year with the worst flood conditions in years. Still didn't reach the houses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement