Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Buy a bike ?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, i am looking to buy a road/racing bike online or in co.Galway. I am looking for advice on what type of road bike to get and wheres the best place to get them? i am looking for a bike that's not to expensive, any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I'm not from Galway so I'm afraid I don't know the local shops there but I would definitely recommend a local bike shop over online in particular if you are fairly new to cycling (and it sounds like you might be?)

Getting a bike that fits properly is the most important thing to consider. All manufacturers measure their bikes differently so buying online is going to be very confusing. A good local bike shop on the other hand should get you on the right bike pretty quickly, and at least if you have any problems you have somewhere to go back to.

Ask around local clubs - usually whatever bike shop is associated with local clubs should be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I purchased from Nigels Cycles in Galway. Found them great. Haven't had any problems and call in whenever I'm passing for a look (and a few sneaky purchases).
    I'm from outside the county and have no connection with the shop. Nigel and the lads there cycle themselves. They know what they're at in there. Highly recommend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 xXGhostFartXx

tacklemore wrote: »
    I purchased from Nigels Cycles in Galway. Found them great. Haven't had any problems and call in whenever I'm passing for a look (and a few sneaky purchases).
    I'm from outside the county and have no connection with the shop. Nigel and the lads there cycle themselves. They know what they're at in there. Highly recommend!!

ok, Thanks for the advice. ill take a look asap

onimpulse wrote: »
    I'm not from Galway so I'm afraid I don't know the local shops there but I would definitely recommend a local bike shop over online in particular if you are fairly new to cycling (and it sounds like you might be?)

Getting a bike that fits properly is the most important thing to consider. All manufacturers measure their bikes differently so buying online is going to be very confusing. A good local bike shop on the other hand should get you on the right bike pretty quickly, and at least if you have any problems you have somewhere to go back to.

Ask around local clubs - usually whatever bike shop is associated with local clubs should be pretty good.

ok, Thanks for the advice. i am not quite sure about a local bike club but ill ask around. should be easy enough to find :) i didn't think about the different size bikes so ill defiantly go to a shop instead of online. i had a bike a few years ago but it rusted and fell to pieces so time to start again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Velocity Bikes in Oranmore are fantastic, highly recommended.

• Advertisement

WillyFXP wrote: »
    Velocity Bikes in Oranmore are fantastic, highly recommended.

ok, thanks for the advice, ill have to take a look the next time im up there

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I would suggest you are starting from the wrong place! I would consider that it is almost impossible for any cyclist to suggest what type of bike to purchase as this is an extremely personal choice, determined by fit, comfort, budget etc. etc., not necessarily in that order. Once you have decided on a particular brand or model then and only then should source a supplier. You do need to research this very carefully as you do not want to end up with a bike that you do not like or does not fit etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Maidhci wrote: »
    I would suggest you are starting from the wrong place! I would consider that it is almost impossible for any cyclist to suggest what type of bike to purchase as this is an extremely personal choice, determined by fit, comfort, budget etc. etc., not necessarily in that order. Once you have decided on a particular brand or model then and only then should source a supplier. You do need to research this very carefully as you do not want to end up with a bike that you do not like or does not fit etc. etc.

I think approach this makes hard work out of something simple.

Your budget will determine what model(s) you're looking at - most shops will sell more than one brand so have a look at a few bikes in some local shops & pick from there. It'll be pretty simple to choose based on the fit, comfort, etc...

the carrera virtuoso road bike 2011 2012 medium 51cm in halfords (not allowed to post a link since im a new member)

This was the bike i was looking at but i would need the 54cm one according to their size chart. That would also be around my top price as i would have to buy other gear.

Advertisement