Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit Business School MSc- Worth it??

Options
  • 24-08-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Just thinking what the 'next step' in my career should be and I am considering doing a Masters in Change Management, MGMT Consultancy or International Business....

Basically just wondering is it worth the 12 odd grand or so and will I get this back in the form of a better job, quicker promotion etc etc. and whether I will look back on it as beneficial in a couple of years time?? As I have just finished a 3 year business degree with a v high 2.1, it appears that I should be able to get some sort of job somewhere in the low 20k per annum mark as the economy is picking up again by the looks of it as many of my friends have gotten work in Dublin in recent weeks.

Moreover reviews have been very mixed with previous threads criticising the standard of students attending and the quality of content taught at the college, Therefore, I am not sure and I am wondering if I am just putting a very expensive and worthless logo on my CV.Unfortunately, I dont know any grads of the school to ask for advice either...

Any suggestions on what I should do apparently I have 1 more week to decide and really dont know what I should do?? Is a masters worth the time and money for a recent undergrad?? Should I just get a job somewhere and decide next year.??

Thanks for reading

XX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

It's very dependent on your circumstances tbh. Have you just graduated this summer? There may be certain employers or graduate programs who will value a masters even with zero experience. Do you know what areas or employers you are looking at?

Generally though I'd say it's better to get at least a couple of years experience before going back to do it if you want to maximise your potential increase in earnings and opportunities.

I went back part time after a few years of experience and by the time I had finished two years later I had moved company twice and my total compensation had increased by ~90%. A class mate of mine went from a ~42K role to a 115K role (as a contractor).That said there were others from my class who were happy to stay where they were and just wanted to gain as much knowledge as they could from the experience.

So for me it was very worth it but you have to decide for yourself, based on what areas you want to work in how valuable the masters would be to employers now or after three or five years experience. You may also find that if you go out and get a good graduate role now which allows you to progress that you have no real need or interest in a masters down the line.

If you have any more specific questions I'm happy to answer (though I may PM you instead for anonymity reasons), just bare in mind that my responses would be coming from an experienced, part-time perspective and not an inexperienced, full-time perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Crossroads101

Hello Sugar Free

I greatly appreciate your help and I have been able to reflect positively on your feedback.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've done an MSc in Smurfit, have to say I found it very worthwhile. I was completely changing the direction of my career so I took an entry level job from it but I think I've good opportunities now so very happy with my choice.

Thank you Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

My SIster in law did a masters in smurfit and has done brilliantly since finishing up even though she changed career direction. She landed a super job with great money and she's put it down to having this on her cv

• Advertisement

Thank you for your input chooey- much appreciated. Glad to read that your sister done well as a result of her masters. Had she previous work experience or had she just been straight out of college??

Still not sure what to do and class starts Monday- decisions , decisions haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Crossroads101, have you been accepted on a course? And if so, which one? There is a large waiting list for the MSc in Management I believe.

Mgmt Consultancy,, have a business degree already so Im not applicable for the MiM course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ironclaw wrote: »
    Crossroads101, have you been accepted on a course? And if so, which one? There is a large waiting list for the MSc in Management I believe.

I'm in it, and a lot of people I talked to only applied in like mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm in it, and a lot of people I talked to only applied in like mid August.

Same. I believe its full since about two weeks ago and anyone who gets a place will be notified today (5th/Sept) I'm fairly certain I won't. However, I wish they made this clear before asking for the application fee as its €45 a pop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement