Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Blues/Jazz

Options
  • 24-08-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey all,
    I really like the sound of blues (especially the slide guitar sound) but I often find myself rolling the eyes when I hear the lyrics. Are there any good artists of blues and jazz you know of on the net? As an extra question, what is the best track by Benny Goodman?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As for the lyrics in blues, you have got to remember how blues came to be. It started with slaves out in the fields (obviously they could not read or write) from dawn to dusk, picking cotton. They barely earned enough to live on. They sang about their hardships and personal troubles to try and uplift their spirits. It is hardly fair to expect Al Stewart type lyrics. The thing with blues is not so much it's contents per se, but the feeling that's put into performing it.

Some blues artists you could check out would be Buddy Guy (regarded as the best living blues guitarist), Mike Bloomfield, Albert/Freddy/BB King, John Mayall, Johnny Winter, Peter Greene (early Fleetwood Mac), Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan...to name a few.

For acoustic blues, go to the source and check out Robert Johnson.

The term "Jazz" covers a multitude of vastly different types of music. It would depend on what era of jazz you like. Having said that, IMO you cant go far wrong with the likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bud Powell, Dexter Gorden, our very own Louis Stewart, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, "Cannonball" Adderly.....again to name just a small amount. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JackGM

Thanks a mil. I'll check these out :)

Advertisement