Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask landlord if he's willing to sell?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before but i can't find a thread about it.

Am in our property 6 months now and would like to see if the landlord is interested in selling. Am renting through an estate agent so theres no direct contact with him.

Situation is that house is in an estate of 16 where two have sold in the last year for roughly the same price. The price they sold at is nearly the max of our affordability. The houses that sold seem to be in a similar condition to ours (rental in need of some care and attention). Have very little info on our landlord bar he was willing to accept a lower rent than he advertised and he appears to struggle to get repairs etc carried out.

Any idea how to approach him with the idea of selling to us. Also if he isn't willing to sell, we are happy to continue to rent until a suitable house comes along.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

As a tenant you are entitled to have your landlords name and address. Get it from the agent and ask is s/he willing to sell. Put your name address and number on it an ask him/her to contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

As you will be going direct to the Landlord then you will be saving him fees if he were to sell through an estate agent so you can probably allow for a lower price because of that by a percent or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Just ask him. If he's interested, he's interested. Personally I'd always welcome interest of this nature so I wouldn't worry about how to broach the subject.

Just keep in mind if he's not under pressure financially and he does consider selling he'll more than likely want to entertain counter offers to try attain the best price for his property. This could mean you being flexible enough to allow viewings to your would-be competition which I could see being a bit grating on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Thanks for the replies. Will get onto it thiswweek and see how it goes.

Advertisement