Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicles In Wheelchair Spaces

• 24-08-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

Is there anything more selfish than taking up a wheelchair space, if you're able-bodied? It seems that in most car parks, morons will fill these spaces, when they are perfectly capable of getting around. It means that those relying on these spaces miss out. It's pure ignorance, selfishness and laziness.

I'm only raising this, as I was in Liffey Valley today, and was amazed at how many cars were parked in such spaces outside M & S. Only one or two had wheelchair stickers in the window, while every other one didn't. There was a Mercedes in one space clamped, which was a delight to see.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I firmly believe it's tempting fate to park in such spaces. Inviting kharma to ensure you'll need one. No, nay, never would I park there.

Able bodied people who use disabled spaces or disabled loos need a smack and a fine. Selfish, entitled, and obnoxious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I recently saw a taxi taking up not one, but TWO, disabled spaces outside a Woodies or Homebase or one of those types of stores.

As I was contemplating what I might do about this, the passenger wandered out of the shop (with no obvious disability, she looked perfecly healthy - although I accept that she may not have been - ditto for the driver - just to cover myself for future whataboutery posts) and sat into the passenger seat.

Driver (presumably the taxi licence owner) then came gambolling out carrying trays of bedding plants which went into the boot, went back into the shop and got some more, then got in and reversed out of the spaces which he'd occupied by slewing to a stop diagonally (couldn't he even had straightened up and just taken up one disabled spot?) and off they went.

Boils my blood! :mad:

Blast them with piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

The best are these car spaces marked for people with kids particularly at supermarkets,

are you more important then me because you have kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Taxi drivers don't obey laws, remember? There's that Facebook page "You Park Like A C*nt. Now, I don't know how many of these are genuine, due to the nature of some of the parking in the pictures, but I should have taken a photo of the parking today and posted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Candie wrote: »
    Able bodied people who use disabled spaces or disabled loos need a smack and a fine. Selfish, entitled, and obnoxious.

Most disabled loos can be used by anyone, they aren't just for disabled people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

This judge has the right idea

The best are these car spaces marked for people with kids particularly at supermarkets,

They're safer for the kids and for other peoples cars because they're wider, and you can get kids in and out of carseats and trollies easier. They're by the entrance so there's less chance of a kid running around the car park, and it's better in bad weather to get tots and babies out of the rain asap. Not everyone can go shopping without the kids.

I don't mind walking another 10 seconds to the door if it'll spare a new baby being soaked or another car being scratched by a trolley or buggy.

I've no kids before anyone claims I'm biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

To a supermarket, who want your kids to force you to buy stuff you don't want, then yes, people with kids are more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Its only an issue when they call them "Mother and child parking" ... then theres trouble to be had with the car park people !

As for disabled parking , its necessary space for getting in and out be it with wheelchair etc so they cant actually use normal spaces because they are too small

Just like normal cubicle toilets are too small for moving around so they need disabled toilets .... and most places I've seen lock them to keep them for the people who need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

TheZohan wrote: »

It's ILLEGAL Roy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

TheZohan wrote: »

Don't agree, many disabled people can ONLY use a disabled loo, able bodied people have plenty to choose from. People with disabilities may have toileting issues such as poor urge control, bowel or bladder and can't wait.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

And I'll say straight out that I have MS, but if I have a "good legs day" (v. v. rare-twice in the last year) I leave the disabled spaces for those who aren't having one .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

And I'll say straight out that I have MS, but if I have a "good legs day" (v. v. rare-twice in the last year) I leave the disabled spaces for those who aren't having one .

If you have a sticker, park.
    If you don't have a sticker, get clamped.
    Why one law for them and another law
    for Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porche
    and Gobshytes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My mum has Ataxia and some days she can walk fine for ages but other times she has great difficulty. She doesn't know if it is going to hit her or not so she parks in the disabled spaces (she has a badge though so not illegally doing so) but at times people must look at her and wonder why she needs it coz she looks fine and could be walking ok. 10 minutes later she could be all over the place and relying heavily on the shopping trolley to keep her from keeling over.

So while it really pees me off to see people park in these spaces if they don't have a badge but you can never really judge from how the person is walking from the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The spaces that don't require kids to walk / be pushed in buggies across the path of moving traffic are reserved for people with kids. They don't have to be the closest, Liffey Valley being a prime example of parent/toddler spaces that serve that function very well but aren't necessarily any closer to the door than a significant number of regular spaces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Im an equal opportunities parker/toilet user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I know there is a number you can call to report somebody driving badly - no idea what comes of that though.

Is there a place/site you can upload photographs to of cars parked in these parking spaces without the correct documentation? So the police could follow up on it?

I'd happily take photographs and send them off (if I lived in Ireland, that is).

JonEBGud wrote: »
    If you have a sticker, park.
    If you don't have a sticker, get clamped.
    Why one law for them and another law
    for Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porche
    and Gobshytes?

I have a badge, because most of the time, I have to use it. It's very often the difference between me being able to go somewhere like the local shop-or not.

However, some of the local pensioners here think being over 65 means they are automatically entitled to the spaces, even two ladies who live locally and can be found most evenings power walking around the local track.
    (And I know neither have or need badges ,before someone says that not all disabilities that qualify for a badge are immediately visible)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

The disabled drivers association have refused to allocate badges to people who have the use of their limbs. A lot of people with working limbs but some kind of disability, have badges. How's that work?!

OP I agree it's wrong to take up a disabled space that a wheelchair user might need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I saw someone going around on a mobility scooter the other day but the handlebars and the front wheel looked like something you'd see on the front of a Harley, but it was still a mobility scooter that did about 1mph and .5 of a horsepower. Would anyone here object to him parking in a disabled spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I have kids that need to go to school.. I pay rent blah..

This is what I have from the cow that is blocking my drive AGAIN!!

They have a right.. Be it a disabled parking place, someones driveway, Females need to park..

But I have kids?? WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Inconsiderate people will always park in disabled parking spaces for as long as the business' and car park owners do nothing about it.
    Its like anything, if there is no proper deterrent, (e.g. clamping with a hefty financial fee), then the lazy sh!ts, who don't want a 20 yard walk, will keep parking in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Don't agree, many disabled people can ONLY use a disabled loo, able bodied people have plenty to choose from. People with disabilities may have toileting issues such as poor urge control, bowel or bladder and can't wait.

Many disabled loos also have baby changing facilities in them, who gets priority?
    I've changed my childs nappy in some where this is available and on one occasion had someone hammering outside, as the crap was everywhere, I ignored it, had to until I was finished changing the nappy. Got a bit of a look but the facilities are shared with baby changing fold down table.
    I understand people with disabilities may have issues affecting them but unless they are there when Im going in, I cant wait indefinitely in case someone turns up either.
    That said I wont park in a disabled space, and people that do are the height of ignorance, and as much as I find it a very similar thing (attitude to others) when someone parks in a parent and child space it is less serious, but I still think they are cnuts, as bad are those that abuse the space, older children that have no issue getting in and out of a car, twats with grown up children, same with people that have the baby chair but no child present.

Im not sure where you are just getting the idea that there are generally plenty of options to choose from regarding toilets for able bodied people? although I think wherever there are disabled toilets there are usually standard toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Im an equal opportunities parker/toilet user.

I hope you are a teenager with no disabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

Maybe we could take a lesson from our French cousins, who accompany some disabled bays with a notice reading: "Vous prenez mon espace: prenez mon handicap."

This translates as "If you take my space, take my disability too".

That might give some selfish parkers pause for thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

This has been done to death before but it doesn't make it right to park in a disabled spot just because statistically, they're not used often by disabled people. The reason they're generally free is because the majority of people leave them that way in case a disabled person needs them. If everybody ignored that, they'd hardly ever be free when needed. So you paring there "when it's not being used" is a selfish luxury afforded to you by the courtesy of others.

Mother and child spaces are no biggie in comparison - just a small courtesy extended to parents by the owners. I'd personally leave them empty if I didn't have kids with me but each to their own.

That said, I'd hate to be that kind of twat that needs to do smething principally because they're suffused with rage about trivial courtesies extended to others and not them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Able bodied people who use disabled spaces or disabled loos need a smack and a fine.
    Just make them eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

A few years ago I saw a taxi driver pull into a parking space reserved for disabled people. A group of onlooking teenagers pointedly said to him "I like your wheelchair", at which the group laughed.

The taxi driver retorted, " You'll need one if you don't mind your own effin' business!"

Such a nice gentleman to have on the roads of Ireland in a public service role.....

doolox wrote: »
    The taxi driver retorted, " You'll need one if you don't mind your own effin' business!"

He's a moron but I did laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is there anything more selfish than taking up a wheelchair space, if you're able-bodied?
    Yes there is plenty of things more selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Some shopping centres dont help the situation by having so many...clare hall being the obvious example, where they are disabled/traveller parking spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just make them eligible.

You mean make them disabled?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Regarding the parent and child spaces - Do you REALLY want to park next a parent struggling to get the buggy out while the 3 year old hops the car door of your nice clean shiny dint free car?

As someone who parks as far as possible from the milling crowd (what's wrong with walking??) I think the parent and child spaces are great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I pulled someone on it last week. Must have been a build up of testosterone after an afternoon of DIY. Guy sweeps into one of the disabled spots outside lidl, his wife nips in and he's locking up. My wife saw it too, and said loud enough so that he could hear that she couldn't see a badge.

(Me): Do you need that spot, do you have a disabled badge?
    No, Do you have a problem with my parking?
    Yeah, you're parked like a dick

He took offence to this, pointing out that his wife was pregnant. My wife hears this and shouts "Pregnancy is not a disability!"

My son was with me. He's 7, and has Autism. Some days are grand, some are hard. You don't get disabled badges unless a leg is hanging off or something, so we don't have one. Guy took offence to being labelled a dick, so I tried to diffuse the situation.

Look Buddy, we all got problems. I got a kid with special needs in the car, but I'm not taking spaces I don't need. I'm sorry I called you a dick... But you're parked like a dick. :D

That's the same thing!!

Anyway, he moved his car.

It's all very frustrating, but I think it's really disappointing that it's 99% of the time left to members of the public to shame people out of spots they shouldn't be in. Supermarkets etc don't have the will / money to police the car parks, and there's little likelihood of being pulled on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

If I'm in a shopping centre with my daughter I use the disabled toilets as I obviously can't go into the female toilets and I wouldn't bring her into the male ones.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Some shopping centres dont help the situation by having so many...clare hall being the obvious example, where they are disabled/traveller parking spaces

To be fair you need a lot of traveler spaces on the Northside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

anncoates wrote: »

BallyBrack shopping center southside is the worst I have ever seen and I've been all over this city. All day, every day the 7 disabled spots by the door are taken with a extremely rare blue badge seen among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

anncoates wrote: »

???

• Advertisement

aidoh wrote: »
    ???

A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Oh right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Saw a brand new BMW 5 series parked right up at the door in a disabled space last week, obviously too important to park with us mere mortals. No disabled permit on it of course.

I actually wanted to key it and would have if there wasn't any cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There should be more of these, as they keep trollies, buggies, and kids swinging doors away from my car. More scratch free parking bays please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Trebor176 wrote: »
    . There was a Mercedes in one space clamped, which was a delight to see.
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Saw a brand new BMW 5 series parked right up at the door in a disabled space last week, obviously too important to park with us mere mortals. No disabled permit on it of course.

What has the make of car got to do with it? Arseholes drive all kinds of cars, bitterness alive and well I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

A number of judges have imposed driving license suspensions for parking in disabled bays.

Proper order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I know someone who has a family member with a disability and wheelchair. This person is responsible for helping the family member and driving about and taking the person to appointments. This person has received much abuse from people when she parks up in a disabled spot and hops out walking just fine. Even though there is a badge and the person accompanying her will be using the spot but just hasn't hopped out yet.

I know someone who has a family member with a disability and wheelchair. This person is responsible for helping the family member and driving about and taking the person to appointments. This person has received much abuse from people when she parks up in a disabled spot and hops out walking just fine. Even though there is a badge and the person accompanying her will be using the spot but just hasn't hopped out yet.

Similarly I have a friend with crippling arthritis, and during a flare up she's on crutches. Normally she can walk fine for a few minutes before it starts to hurt.

When she parks in a space she can get out and get into the store fine, but by the time she's coming out she's in significant pain, but of course that doesn't stop people from deciding she's perfectly able bodied and abusing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

This is the best one I have ever seen. He was a complete dick too

This is the best one I have ever seen. He was a complete dick too

It takes an astonishing amount of ignorance to do that. What a moron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement