Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicles In Wheelchair Spaces

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm sick of seeing this as well. My g/f is a disabled badge holder and because if this we park in disabled spots all the time. The amount of cars we see just parking there because it's close is sickening.. and I have to say that Taxi's do it all the time.

Is there anything that can be really done about it ? Can ya really expect the Garda's to come out and take action ?

What is the correct course of action ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

The best are these car spaces marked for people with kids particularly at supermarkets,

are you more important then me because you have kids?

It's based on need, not importance and it is similar to the needs of a driver with reduced mobility. A person with young children requires the extra space to get kids in and out, as well as the proximity to footpath for the safety of those children.

It's the arrogant donkeyholes that think their wants are more important than other peoples needs is what you should be complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

NeVeR wrote: »
    I'm sick of seeing this as well. My g/f is a disabled badge holder and because if this we park in disabled spots all the time. The amount of cars we see just parking there because it's close is sickening.. and I have to say that Taxi's do it all the time.

Is there anything that can be really done about it ? Can ya really expect the Garda's to come out and take action ?

What is the correct course of action ?

Here in lies the real problem. The majority of issues with selfish, inconsiderate drivers misusing designated parking spaces occurs within shopping centres. These are private parking facilities and therefore any complaints should be taken up with the operators. Generally those operators are either hard to get in contact with, or by the time they send someone out to clamp the car, the driver has moved on. Even clamping the car is not an ideal situation because it still leaves the parking space unusable. What may help is better signage to educate drivers. It doesn't have to be as dramatic as 'A stolen ringbuoy is a stolen life' but should get across the point that taking a designated parking space is taking away a persons access to the shop / pharmacy / cinema, not just inconveniencing them.

When it comes to public parking facilities though, they have a bit better protection because at least you can contact the Gardai and if they have a patrol in the area can send it your way immediately. Both Traffic Wardens and Gardai can issue an €80 fine and have the power to inspect a parking card to ensure it is not being misused.

This is from a few years back - the car park was nearly empty too with plenty of spots near the door.

JyWpBv6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

What has the make of car got to do with it? Arseholes drive all kinds of cars, bitterness alive and well I see.

Has absolutly nothing to do with it, I've a nice car as well I don't however ram it up the hole of the entrance door in a busy parking area you know...because thankfully I don't need a disabled spot because I can walk to the door thank god....

So could that arsehole, I'd have keyed his 1991 Micra as well just brand new BMW might hurt a little more..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

MarkR wrote: »
    I pulled someone on it last week. Must have been a build up of testosterone after an afternoon of DIY. Guy sweeps into one of the disabled spots outside lidl, his wife nips in and he's locking up. My wife saw it too, and said loud enough so that he could hear that she couldn't see a badge.

(Me): Do you need that spot, do you have a disabled badge?
    No, Do you have a problem with my parking?
    Yeah, you're parked like a dick

He took offence to this, pointing out that his wife was pregnant. My wife hears this and shouts "Pregnancy is not a disability!"

My son was with me. He's 7, and has Autism. Some days are grand, some are hard. You don't get disabled badges unless a leg is hanging off or something, so we don't have one. Guy took offence to being labelled a dick, so I tried to diffuse the situation.

Look Buddy, we all got problems. I got a kid with special needs in the car, but I'm not taking spaces I don't need. I'm sorry I called you a dick... But you're parked like a dick. :D

That's the same thing!!

Anyway, he moved his car.

It's all very frustrating, but I think it's really disappointing that it's 99% of the time left to members of the public to shame people out of spots they shouldn't be in. Supermarkets etc don't have the will / money to police the car parks, and there's little likelihood of being pulled on it.

There is so much wrong with this, my head is exploding.

Im trying not to take offense but you have actually made me side with the man and his wife.

so you get to take the moral highground because your son is autistic?
    you undermine every woman in the country who has ever been pregnant.
    you ignorantly shout at a man and insult him infront of his wife.
    you are very lucky he didnt shank you infront of your wife and child.

if you are the last bastion of decency, standing up for all that is right in the world, then we are all truely f**ked.

the sense of self righteousness eminating from that post is just vile. who are you to judge who should go where and what box they fit in. do you judge disabilities on a scale of 1-10? or does your moral compass just navigate automatically to whois worthy of a spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

lolosaur wrote: »

Im trying not to take offense but you have actually made me side with the man and his wife.

if you are the last bastion of decency, standing up for all that is right in the world, then we are all truely f**ked.

the sense of self righteousness eminating from that post is just vile. who are you to judge who should go where and what box they fit in. do you judge disabilities on a scale of 1-10? or does your moral compass just navigate automatically to whois worthy of a spot?

So why do you feel justified parking in disabled spots without Government approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

No, they don't.

No, we are not.

So, you side with the able bodied person who parks in disabled driver only spot, and you reckon a person who takes them to task on it is wrong:confused::confused::confused:

So why do you feel justified parking in disabled spots without Government approval?

Where did i say i parked in a disabled spot?

where in that post do I say i park in disabled spots?

do you need government approval to be disabled now?

Do they put disabled people through an NCT every few years to make sure they are up to scratch?

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    So, you side with the able bodied person who parks in disabled driver only spot, and you reckon a person who takes them to task on it is wrong:confused::confused::confused:

so you have to be the disabled driver to park in the spot?

everyone on here must be able to see all the empty spaces so easily up there on your high horses.

everyone on here must be able to see all the empty spaces so easily up there on your high horses.

In order to use the disabled driver only spot, the car has to display the valid blue sticker, the driver of the vehicle does not have to be disabled, as they may be driving a disabled person to/from wherever.

There, that's not so hard, is it?

In order to use the disabled driver only spot, the car has to display the valid blue sticker, the driver of the vehicle does not have to be disabled, as they may be driving a disabled person to/from wherever.

There, that's not so hard, is it?

Im sorry, if you think that in order to be disabled, you have to own a blue sticker on your car window, then there is no point talking with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I used to have a go at people (politely) when I first became disabled but after a while I accepted that some people are just dicks and going over to give them a guilt trip for 30 seconds isn't going to make them any less of a dick in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Im sorry, if you think that in order to be disabled, you have to own a blue sticker on your car window, then there is no point talking with you.

In fairness that's not what the person said. They were referring specifically to those who are entitled to park in a disabled parking space and they're right - you must display a valid blue badge issued by the IWA regardless of your disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Come to think of it I've never seen a wheelchair parked in a wheelchair space, it's always a car. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The best are these car spaces marked for people with kids particularly at supermarkets,

I often wondered about these too until I had a kid. When you have a baby in a car seat, you need the extra room to open the door fully... especially very young babies who are in a maxi cosy or the likes and you take the entire seat with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

RoboRat wrote: »
    I often wondered about these too until I had a kid. When you have a baby in a car seat, you need the extra room to open the door fully... especially very young babies who are in a maxi cosy or the likes and you take the entire seat with you.

In my day they were left at home or with the neighbours..

That's not what I said, and I think you know that.

But we are getting away from the fact that you take the side of a person who used such a space, while they are able bodies, and get angry because someone challenges them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Your initial argument was so full of holes and logical fallacies it wasn't even worth a response. Then you brought the high horses into it meaning you were clearly the chair of the debating society at school. You've won now. Fair play to ye!

Kichote wrote: »
    In my day they were left at home or with the neighbours..

i guess you can attribute the increase of mother and child parking spots with the decrease in child molestation these days then.

So fair play to them.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    Your argument was so full of holes and logic fallacies it wasn't even worth a response. Then you brought the high horses into. You've won now. Fair play to ye!

you have used fallacies in the wrong context there.

That's not what I said, and I think you know that.

But we are getting away from the fact that you take the side of a person who used such a space, while they are able bodies, and get angry because someone challenges them.

so are you saying that being pregnant is in no way disabilitating?

I am quite sure there are many women who would beg to differ.

you have used fallacies in the wrong context there.

Have I? You've misquoted me BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

are you more important then me because you have kids?

Yes, of course parents are more important than non-parents. It's all a big corporate conspiracy against childless people. The biggest advantage being, we get a handful of wider parking spaces...just cause supermarkets like to point and laugh at all you non parents in your funny little regular spaces.

Nothing to do with needing extra space for removing baby car seats or aligning trolleys up besides the cars to take small children in and out or safeguarding other cars from being scraped or child safety. Nope, It's definitely because parents are simply waaaay more important than everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

RoboRat wrote: »

These spaces are such bulls***. They are a recent invention which makes me wonder how did my parents manage back in the day without all that extra space to get the kids out of the car? How come we weren't run over in carparks while we walked an extra few metres to the door?

so are you saying that being pregnant is in no way disabilitating?

I am quite sure there are many women who would beg to differ.

I didn't say it was or wasn't.

Bottom line is you still have to have the blue sticker to use the space.

Now do you understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    These spaces are such bulls***. They are a recent invention which makes me wonder how did my parents manage back in the day without all that extra space to get the kids out of the car? How come we weren't run over in carparks while we walked an extra few metres to the door?

Of course people managed before them. It's just a facility that makes things a little easier for people. What's the problem exactly?

Now do you understand.

a man with club foot gets out of a car, walks into a <snip>

a man with no legs gets out of a car, walks into a <snip>

one doesnt have a sticker.

which one, in your opinion is less deserving of the spacE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

anncoates wrote: »
    That said, I'd hate to be that kind of twat that needs to do smething principally because they're suffused with rage about trivial courtesies extended to others and not them

That's a good point - its almost to challenge them. "Its my right" blah blah blah.

The whole thing about the kid spaces - the shop / supermarket determined these are for people with kids. That's their rule. You know the "10 items or less" aisles? You don't rock up with a big trolley full of stuff there, do you? No, you queue up where you're supposed to.

Same with the parking. Just park where you're supposed to. Makes life easier for everyone.

Now do you understand.

What lolosaur is advocating is basically a free for all where one decides if one is qualified for a space or not. Sod those who are officially sanctioned to use them based on their evidenced and verifiable need. An honour system if you will. In his world pregnant women are entitled to a blue space if they feel they need to take it. It's up to them obviously, not the law or relevant agencies. Obviously, this would also have to extend to those with backache, a sprained ankle, the flu, or any other mildly debilitating malady that can effect humanity.

Can anyone see a problem with this? Anyone?

• Advertisement

a man with club foot gets out of a car, walks into a <snip>

a man with no legs gets out of a car, walks into a <snip>

one doesnt have a sticker.

which one, in your opinion is less deserving of the spacE?

What exactly are you taking?

What lolosaur is advocating is basically a free for all where one decides if one is qualified for a space or not. Sod those who are officially sanctioned to use them based on their evidenced and verifiable need. An honour system if you will. In his world pregnant women are entitled to a blue space if they feel they need to take it. It's up to them obviously, not the law or relevant agencies. Obviously, this would also have to extend to those with backache, a sprained ankle, the flu, or any other mildly debilitating malady that can effect humanity.

Can anyone see a problem with this? Anyone?

evidenced and verified by who?

Disabled people may have better things to be doing than to be stood around being judged as to whether their disability meets your moral charter.

evidenced and verified by who?.

Hmmm, tough one that. Now you've got me thinking. Now who could possibly be qualified to decide whether one is disabled or no?. If only such people existed...you know, people who specialise in something like, I dunno, healthcare. If only such people existed. One day, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

i guess you can attribute the increase of mother and child parking spots with the decrease in child molestation these days then.

So fair play to them.

How do you reckon there has been a decrease and how do you measure it?

Hmmm, tough one that. Now you've got me thinking. Now who could possibly be qualified to decide whether one is disabled or no?. If only such people existed...you know, people who specialise in something like healthcare. If only such people existed. One day, maybe...

And maybe some sort of sticker that could be mounted on the dashboard.....nah, sure that would be mad.;)

And maybe some sort of sticker that could be mounted on the dashboard.....nah, sure that would be mad.;)
    You'll go far son. You'll go far.

Kichote wrote: »
    How do you reckon there has been a decrease and how do you measure it?

Well if less kids are being left on their own to fend for themselves or being left with neighbours then it would decrease. unless they are being molested in the car park. I never thought of this. Ill crunch some numbers.

Yep, a recent invention much the same as the likes of the maxi cosy seat that requires you to fully open the door. Must just have been a freaky coincidence though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I would never park in a "disabled space".

However, I've frequently used a "disabled toilet" based on an assumption that they are "fair game" when the other toilets are occupied. Having said that, I can see why I might have to reconsider that.

But "parent and child spaces". Historically, I would never have used these but I've had something of a Damacus moment which had led to what some might call "as.hole" behaviour on my part. I drive a pretty decent car. Twice in the space of a couple of months idiots have bashed it, leaving me with bills for €400 and €500. Never again. Now I ONLY park in wider "parent and child spaces" or the last space in a row if I can. Apologies but I'm sick of forking out loot for other people's gobsh1tery.

• Advertisement

But "parent and child spaces". Historically, I would never have used these but I've had something of a Damacus moment which had led to what some might call "as.hole" behaviour on my part. I drive a pretty decent car. Twice in the space of a couple of months idiots have bashed it, leaving me with bills for €400 and €500. Never again. Now I ONLY park in wider "parent and child spaces" or the last space in a row if I can. Apologies but I'm sick of forking out loot for other people's gobsh1tery.

Could possibly be people with children being forced to park in regular spaces and having to force the door open to get their baby into the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Able bodied taking up a disabled drivers space?

Clamp them, might just give them the tiniest iota of what it's like to be disabled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

JonEBGud wrote: »
    I hope you are a teenager with no disabilities.

I hope you are Pamela Anderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I was leaving a shopping centre car park (it was an inside car park) about a year ago and was paying the parking fee. The machine was near the disabled spaces(there were 3). While I'm queuing to pay 3 cars arrived and parked in each of the spaces. A man on his own in his 50's, a couple about the same and a girl in her early twenties. All just parked up and went into the centre. I paid and decided to have a look see if even one had a blue sticker. Not a sticker between them.
    I got into the car and went to the exit but before I put my ticket in I pressed the "help" button and reported all 3 of the selfish gets.
    Hope they got the clamp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Nothing annoys me more!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a combination of ignorance, lazyness and being a cúnt. It's very rare that a normal space is more than 30 seconds walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It'll never catch on, it's so obvious, you need something much more subtle, like a secret handshake or something

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Where did i say i parked in a disabled spot?

where in that post do I say i park in disabled spots?

do you need government approval to be disabled now?

Do they put disabled people through an NCT every few years to make sure they are up to scratch?

You have to re-apply for the badge every two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Far to many spaces marked as disabled, Far to many people who have stickers, far to many have stickers for relatives that are not even alive. Ratio of disabled spaces to normal is way over the top. Re vamp of the system needs to be done proper medical report to qualify for one. People who park in them that don't need too should be fined. I have only seen able boadied people parking in them with stickers. Only about two times have i seen a person park in one that needed too.

Far to many spaces marked as disabled, Far to many people who have stickers, far to many have stickers for relatives that are not even alive. Ratio of disabled spaces to normal is way over the top. Re vamp of the system needs to be done proper medical report to qualify for one. People who park in them that don't need too should be fined. I have only seen able boadied people parking in them with stickers. Only about two times have i seen a person park in one that needed too.

Brilliant. Vet people who just want to be normal and get on with their lives.

Maybe make sure people are visually impaired by making them dodge thrown rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

from my p.o.v as a carer for an intellectually disabled person, i was refused a parking badge but I know of people with bad backs and similar levels of disability who have their own badges...when i was refused i was told that these badges/ stickers are for people who don't have full use of one or more limb, but i care for a person with no awareness of danger, someone whose hand i have to hold every step of the way into, around, and out of the supermarket, they can't cope mentally with any subtle change or with noise or various other issues and there are disastrous consequences if things go too wrong..this person is as tall as me, and stronger, and could 'meltdown' or in other words really badly panic and endanger themself with their lack of awareness of oncoming traffic etc.. yet they are given less precedence than a person with back problems..clearly there are many people with full use (if not always comfortable and reliable)- of their limbs, who HAVE been granted a disabled parking badge. Why the discrimination against intellectually disabled people? Should I re-apply?

N.B there was NO assesment, the application form was short and no details were asked for, r.e the impact of the disability or the impact of it on the person's ability to 'get around'

• Advertisement
Advertisement