Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk fined €18,000 by UEFA over Palestinian Flags

• 23-08-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭

Dundalk have been fined €20k for their fans displaying a Palestinian flag against Hajduk Split. Madness.

There was about 10 around the Showgrounds against Rosenborg. A €20k fine would kill us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oat23 wrote: »
    Dundalk have been fined €20k for their fans displaying a Palestinian flag against Hajduk Split. Madness.

There was about 10 around the Showgrounds against Rosenborg. A €20k fine would kill us.

WTF?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The flag didn't even bring peace to Palestine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Celtic had the Palestinian flags against Maribor. This is ridiculous. Ajax fans have always had Israeli flags at their games, should they expect the same type of fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That's nothing to Dundalk. They pay Towell that every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thats an insane fine, is maxi on a flight yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

dan1895 wrote: »
    Celtic had the Palestinian flags against Maribor. This is ridiculous. Ajax fans have always had Israeli flags at their games, should they expect the same type of fine?

34489963lv3.jpg

Celtic fined 42k for this

article-2523313-19AECD4200000578-964_634x379.jpg

Ajax 25k? for the "fenian bastards" one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thing is 25k and 42k are fines that clubs like Celtic and Ajax can afford, 18k is massive for Dundalk.

Hope the fans that brought it to the Dundalk game are happy. Whatever they hoped to achieve by doing it, I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolute joke by UEFA, especially when you consider that Villarreal were fined €12k for Dani Alves banana incident. It also sets a dangerous precedent - there are plenty of people that would claim waving a tricolour at a Celtic games or even at an English club is a 'political statement'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Spurs playing in Europe this week. Could be a ****storm if they are fined/not fined for any Israel flags that are flown. Think this a very dangerous move by uefa

• Advertisement

IF I was Dundalk, I would be watching every bit of footage from around Europe and seeing if I can see any flag that might be considered offensive or political at any game, and then email them to appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Time for Delaney to earn his wage, or failing that, get his cheque book out.

Can you only get a fine for flying such a flag in a Euro tie, or in league games as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I remember seeing that very same flag being displayed at the showgrounds manys a time over the years. One fella here in Sligo has been banging that particular drum for ages.

To a certain extent any national flag could be thought of as political.
    Back when Shels were in Europe we had a number of soviet flags as well as my own Cuban one, don't believe we were ever fined.
    Or is it that they just don't like something that coins be deemed anti Israel?

Agree that UEFA are setting a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could it be something against waving a non-UEFA country flag? That is roughly the only way I can see any sense in it, otherwise, for example, Celtic should get a whopper fine for having tri-colours on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

How are UEFA to know it wasn't a Palestinian fella in the crowd with the flag? Absolutely ridiculous decision

Mushy wrote: »
    Could it be something against waving a non-UEFA country flag? That is roughly the only way I can see any sense in it, otherwise, for example, Celtic should get a whopper fine for having tri-colours on display.

Would there be a problem with a US flag?
    Madness I tell ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

CHealy wrote: »
    Sorry, what???

Why should John Delaney take the blow for the actions of a number of Dundalk fans? Dont get me wrong, I dislike Mr. Delaney and the FAI as much as any other LOI fan, but the Dundalk fans were told half an hour BEFORE kick off by security and the owner, that if the flag was flown there would be punishment, and they still flew it.

Dundalk fans were told at about 7.30 not to wave it. The chairman and Uefa official came over and told them not too wave it. Why the **** he didnt take it off them I don't know!
    Then on 3 occasions during the match it was waved from the middle of the Shed, I seen and know who it was myself and everyone around me knows who it was Im sure the club do too
    They were members of the "SSA" who as expected are claiming it wasnt them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dan1895 wrote: »
    Would there be a problem with a US flag?
    Madness I tell ya.

Land of the free, of course not. And that's where the massive problem will be.

Stupid decision.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Land of the free, of course not. And that's where the massive problem will be.

Stupid decision.

As their reasoning is, due to the "on-going conflict" flag is seen as making a statement so as long as USA remain in "on-going conflicts" the USA flag will be deemed unacceptable either

UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

CHealy wrote: »
    Why should John Delaney take the blow for the actions of a number of Dundalk fans?

If you are laying blame at the door of Dundalk fans, you are as bad as UEFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Surely there has to be a good chance of Dundalk getting this reversed on appeal? Absolutely crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If they were told to take it down and still waved it, it's their own fault.

The 18k is a combination of fines, could someone who isnt an LOI banter admin confirm that?

Derry fans furiously deleting facebook and instagram posts from their games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

dfx- wrote: »
    If they were told to take it down and still waved it, it's their own fault.

I wouldn't have any sympathy for the clowns involved, if they knew there was even a 1% chance of the club getting a fine they shouldn't have done it. What's the point in bringing a Palestine flag to a football match anyway?

Feel sorry for the club & especially those who volunteer their time for fundraising etc. A real kick in the balls after the way they've turned the club around. Still think, regardless if they were told or not, that it's a crazy decision. Cannot see how it can amount to a fine though. Surely Ajax will get similiar fine for Israel flags?

Pretty sure Pats used to have an American flag for Ryan Guy (I think?). Presumably they got fines when the US were at war in Iraq?

Feck it sure, why not extend so that all Russian and Ukrainian teams get a fine for displaying their flags :p

Fine money comes out of Dundalks UEFA participation money so not really costing them. That doesnt come in until next may if they have of paid stupid money to get to the games then it would cost them.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fine money comes out of Dundalks UEFA participation money so not really costing them. That doesnt come in until next may if they have of paid stupid money to get to the games then it would cost them.

Yeh as far as i know it just comes out of your prize money, which we are receiving on 24th December according to our chairman

Thats not the point, these lads were told to stop waving the flag. They did at the start but then on 3 or 4 occasions started waving it again during the game. The "leader" of this ShedSideArmy is well known for his petrol antics (cant name him for legal reasons) was the one the chairman was talking to before the game to tell them to stop.

No surprise that the "leader" of this group, has not mentioned on facebook (where he seems to spend 24/7) since the news broke yesterday

Lifetime ban for idiots who refused to stop waving the flag?

Can do without their type at games, if its going to cost clubs.

We had a similar problem at Derry going back a few years with idiots letting off flares, which I think cost the club €1k each time. They were told to stop and continued to do it on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's a ridiculous decision but persisting in showing the flag after the delegate told them not to was pretty dumb.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Lifetime ban for idiots who refused to stop waving the flag?

Can do without their type at games, if its going to cost clubs.

We had a similar problem at Derry going back a few years with idiots letting off flares, which I think cost the club €1k each time. They were told to stop and continued to do it on a regular basis.

The problem with that is. they were at the front waving them before the game. Chairman came over asked them not too (obvs explained not allowed etc...) Instead of taking the flags off them untill the game was over, He gave the flags back to them and they put them away at back of the shed.
    On 2 or 3 occassions from the middle of this group, the flag was waved for about 30 seconds each time. I dont think their is any photos of them waved during the game, so nothing can be done apart from banning the whole group (which rightly wont happen as most of them are decent lads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The problem with that is. they were at the front waving them before the game. Chairman came over asked them not too (obvs explained not allowed etc...) Instead of taking the flags off them untill the game was over, He gave the flags back to them and they put them away at back of the shed.
    On 2 or 3 occassions from the middle of this group, the flag was waved for about 30 seconds each time. I dont think their is any photos of them waved during the game, so nothing can be done apart from banning the whole group (which rightly wont happen as most of them are decent lads)

There's plenty of photos of them waving the flags all over social media and elsewhere also one of the guys involved has already received a banning letter from the club and i expect more will be getting them in the post this week.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Disgracefully disproportionate fine, hopefully it's reduced on appeal

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Absolute joke by UEFA, especially when you consider that Villarreal were fined €12k for Dani Alves banana incident. It also sets a dangerous precedent - there are plenty of people that would claim waving a tricolour at a Celtic games or even at an English club is a 'political statement'.

What law does this fine come under?
    Surely flying a national flag at any event is perfectly legal?
    I hope they take this all the way to the Human Rights Courts.

COYVB wrote: »
    How are UEFA to know it wasn't a Palestinian fella in the crowd with the flag? Absolutely ridiculous decision

It doesn't matter who had the flag as there is nothing wrong with displaying it.
    Would they take the same action if it was a U.S. flag? No way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Strange, I remember seeing a photo of Israeli flags at a Spurs Europa League game (and I'm sure there's plenty more that aren't photographed) but never remember seeing them getting fined.

There's plenty of photos of them waving the flags all over social media and elsewhere also one of the guys involved has already received a banning letter from the club and i expect more will be getting them in the post this week.

Them photos are not from the Hadjuk Split game!

They put them away when told before the game and during the game they were waved from the middle of the shed.

Their is people commenting on this and they were not at the game and dont know what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dundalk have been fined €18,000 by UEFA over the flying of two Palestinian flags by fans at their recent Europa League clash with Hajduk Split. This is a huge amount for a LOI club as you only get €100,000 for winning the league.

The Palestine flag is deemed political by UEFA because the conflict in the region is ongoing. Now if this is the case surely the Russian flag should be the same or the Ukrainian flag. Both are in conflict with each other at the moment. Yet UEFA flies both these flags outside their headquarters.

Russia also invaded and occupied parts of Georgia. And what about Azerbiajan and Armenia?

Palestine is a member of UNESCO - a UN body. Loads of nations have recognized the state of Palestine and in January 2011 Ireland accorded Palestine diplomatic status to its delegation to Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_the_State_of_Palestine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

#freegaza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Palestine flag is deemed political by UEFA because the conflict in the region is ongoing. Now if this is the case surely the Russian flag should be the same or the Ukrainian flag. Both are in conflict with each other at the moment. Yet UEFA flies both these flags outside their headquarters.

Theres a key difference there - makes it fairly non-political when you fly both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYheggFUc7u7dWZ2jUflTlUR26jORbZfGZ95wj8OHBQfdakWpt

Was there a fine for this?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Political or not, it's a massively disproportionate fine considering the resources of Dundalk

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Like f*ck there was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Theres a key difference there - makes it fairly non-political when you fly both.

Good point but I could have gone to the europa cup game in Dundalk and waved a Russian flag and no fine would have occurred. Double standards, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This seems ridiculous. I can't understand the reasoning at all.

That'll really hurt Dundalk as well. I'd guess that Dundalk get less than 2000 supporters per game at an average of around 15 quid per ticket. Less costs, that fine is probably the equivalent of 1 home game profits from ticket sales.

Would United have been fined half a mill? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Dundalk have been fined €18,000 by UEFA over the flying of two Palestinian flags by fans at their recent Europa League clash with Hajduk Split. This is a huge amount for a LOI club as you only get €100,000 for winning the league.

Russia also invaded and occupied parts of Georgia. And what about Azerbiajan and Armenia?

Palestine is a member of UNESCO - a UN body. Loads of nations have recognized the state of Palestine and in January 2011 Ireland accorded Palestine diplomatic status to its delegation to Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_the_State_of_Palestine

There is only one reason why Palestinian flags were flying at a football game in Dundalk. To make a political point as an act of solidarity (which personally I have no problem with).

To my knowledge, there were no Palestinians playing and probably none in the crowd. It would have been cheaper to make anti-semetic or racist remarks...:rolleyes:

That is a huge amount for a LOI club.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Where is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Pathetic from UEFA

Hypocritical shower of masturbaters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

and yet in the UK, it's ok for the Poppy Day fetish to kick off every November in referenec to WWI British soldier deaths and plaster red emblems on jersey's...I guess it's because it's over??

john why wrote: »
    Where is this?

White Hart Lane, Spurs ground I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement