Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk fined €18,000 by UEFA over Palestinian Flags

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The lads in the Middle East will have sorted out their differences long before some posters in this thread do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Intifada wrote: »
    I think it's disappointing and scary in equal measure that so many people are happy to settle on "you were told not to do it so don't do it".

I don't think many are. The post you quoted didn't even say "you were told". I said that the fans were "asked". Dundalk FC didn't send in stewards and Gardaí to remove the flags and the people waving them. They asked (and if some are to be believed, actually pleaded with them, at risk of the game being called off). The adult thing to do here would be to think "okay, something's going on here; we don't agree with this, but carrying on what we're doing could have serious repercussions". Then, after the fact, they should have enquired what exactly went on and if they felt that there were underlying prejudicial issues, taken matters further. Waving the flag as some sort of protest against your own club isn't the sensible thing to do. Now, if you're a club like Legia Warsaw, where a €20k fine is a drop in the ocean, go right ahead. But when that equates to the entire gate taken from a match, then you need to realise if this particular course of action is worth it or if the matter can be highlighted through another avenue, without the threat of a massive fine.
    As Paz succinctly said, the fans said it was political, the UEFA official thought so too, he repeatedly implored that it be removed and it wasn't.

There are presumably other threads and forums where people can get the Israeli conspiracy stuff and thoughts about Apartheid off their chests.

Just for what it's worth, Conor, I don't think that the lack of warnings by UEFA officials to Ajax fans is hugely mitigatory. Dundalk have a much smaller fanbase. It's not that difficult to communicate to a group of about 50 fans in a match where there are only about 2,500. It'd be a bit different trying to reason with tens of thousands of fans. So, for that reason (and the fact that Ajax's Jewish "heritage" is bollocks), I think that they too should face disciplinary action by UEFA. And it should be more than Dundalk (or Dundalk's should be less), on the basis of the Dundalk's much lower resources.

My main point there was that the fans shot themselves in the foot by contacting UEFA and giving public statements. I think that Dundalk stood a good chance of having the fine overturned until this (I believe that there has been one banner brought for years, which features the Irish, Palestinian, Basque flags and one other, so not a response to the particular flaring of the conflict). It's like if you get accused of a serious crime - at that point, it's time to shut up and let your solicitor deal with things, not making public statements which could be used as evidence against you. Likewise, when the fine was publicised, it was time to let Dundalk FC and its professionals to deal with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Just to round this thread off.
    Dundalks fine was paid,reduced to just €15k on appeal!!
    Total fines for the club for year 2014 totaled €21,125 the other €6,125 was leveraged by the FAI for flares and pitch invasions.Quite the whack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That is a serious amount of cash for any LOI club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Well how else do you expect Delaney to pay for free booze for the best fans in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That is a serious amount of cash for any LOI club.

Thats 1 players wages for the season. Huge when they will only have a squad of about 18-20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Just to round this thread off.
    Dundalks fine was paid,reduced to just €15k on appeal!!
    Total fines for the club for year 2014 totaled €21,125 the other €6,125 was leveraged by the FAI for flares and pitch invasions.Quite the whack.

Footage of said flares was used in an FAI promotional video.

Advertisement