Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk fined €18,000 by UEFA over Palestinian Flags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dundalk FC can confirm that the club has been charged by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Committee.

These charges relate to Article 16 (2) of the Disciplinary Rules (relating to flags that have been deemed by UEFA to be inappropriate) and Article 45 UEFA Stadium Infrastructure (relating to the prohibition of standing supporters).

The total fine is €18,000 for these charges.

Dundalk FC have requested further information from UEFA on these charges before beginning any appeals process.

Dundalk FC will be making no further comment on this issue until it is fully resolved.

What an absolute joke. UEFA can deem an internationally recognised flag to be 'inappropriate' and people say Dundalk fans are the ones making a political point...

Madness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I can imagine supporters of other clubs bringing flags to matches. Are UEFA going to fine or suspend every club that does it?

What rule, specifically, did UEFA say was broken btw?

the use of gestures, words, objects or any other means to transmit any
    message that is not fit for a sports event, in particular if it is of a political,
    offensive or provocative nature;

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/81/94/48/1819448_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The flag was clearly political so thats that. Of course now people interpret this ruling in various ways to suit their own world view.

I can imagine supporters of other clubs bringing flags to matches. Are UEFA going to fine or suspend every club that does it?

What rule, specifically, did UEFA say was broken btw?

No no, I just assume the stewards will take them away to avoid the fines. Which is what Dundalk should have done.

Bayern were also sanctioned for a banner that said "say no to racism, yes to Kosovo" and another banner with a homphobic reference - they got a partial closure of their stadium and a fine of €10k. No international fuss, no cries about one rule for some and another for others etc. etc., no big arguments about the recognition of Kosovo being legitimate

What an absolute joke. UEFA can deem an internationally recognised flag to be 'inappropriate' and people say Dundalk fans are the ones making a political point...

Madness

It was a political gesture and its not entirely true that the flag is 'internationally recognised' as if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jank wrote: »
    http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/81/94/48/1819448_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The flag was clearly political so thats that. Of course now people interpret this ruling in various ways to suit their own world view.

The Israeli flag is just as political.
    How much were Spurs and Ajax fined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No no, I just assume the stewards will take them away to avoid the fines. Which is what Dundalk should have done.

Bayern were also sanctioned for a banner that said "say no to racism, yes to Kosovo" and another banner with a homphobic reference - they got a partial closure of their stadium and a fine of €10k. No international fuss, no cries about one rule for some and another for others etc. etc., no big arguments about the recognition of Kosovo being legitimate

Apples and oranges. Banners and slogans ≠ national flags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,799 ✭✭✭✭kippy

and yet in the UK, it's ok for the Poppy Day fetish to kick off every November in referenec to WWI British soldier deaths and plaster red emblems on jersey's...I guess it's because it's over??

It's ridiculous.
    A few logical expansions.
    1. How many wars are the UK/US in at any point in history?
    2. When was the last time a US team or English team got fined for their respective flags being at at match?

A joke ruling and a crazy fine for a small club when you see what goes on elsewhere.

These footballing organisations are so far from reality.....

The Israeli flag is just as political.
    How much were Spurs and Ajax fined?

Thanks for proving my point. The Israeli flag is the flag of the Israeli state to some, to others its {insert raving lunatic rants here}. Israel is also a full member of UEFA and its flag would be flying outside its head quarters.

Did Spurs/Ajax fly those flags at a UEFA sanctioned football match by the way?

Ah hardly apples and oranges.

Freedom of expression is freedom of expression. And the curbs on same pursuant to UEFA rules make no distinction at all between words and other visual representations. I mean if someone unveils a Celtic Cross in Italy (a perfectly legitimate symbol), everyone knows the racist aspect, there are no need for words. But again, even if someone had the excuse of genuinely meaning no offence and thinking it was fine, that excuse ended once they were told to remove it.

ISIS also has a 'national' flag. Acceptable to fly that?

• Advertisement

Thanks for proving my point. The Israeli flag is the flag of the Israeli state to some, to others its {insert raving lunatic rants here}. Israel is also a full member of UEFA and its flag would be flying outside its head quarters.

Did Spurs/Ajax fly those flags at a UEFA sanctioned football match by the way?

The Israeli flag is just as relevant as the Palestinian flag to any but the biased mind. Your point is stupid.

ISIS also has a 'national' flag. Acceptable to fly that?

Silly argument again as it's not a national flag. Not recognised by the UN either.

The Israeli flag is just as relevant as the Palestinian flag to any but the biased mind. Your point is stupid.

Is Palestine a member of UEFA? Answers on a postcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Thread has definitely become one of "those" threads not surprising when you see the posters.

I'm all for a fine but f**king €18,000 is just obscene make an example of the little clubs while the big clubs with racist chanting and sh!t get hit with 8,9,10 thousand €. I know which one I'd rather see/hear at football grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lots of countries aren't in UEFA.

I can't see them dishing out a fine for flying a Canadian flag.

Silly argument again as it's not a national flag. Not recognised by the UN either.

The UN does not recognise flags afaik.

Gbear wrote: »
    Lots of countries aren't in UEFA.

I can't see them dishing out a fine for flying a Canadian flag.

Agreed but flying the Canadian flag would not be seen as a political gesture at this moment in time. That is the difference here that people are deliberately and wilfully ignoring.

Oddly enough they have a national football team but probably can't train because of the illegal bombardment by Israel. I'd say their pitch is in some condition too.

http://www.bdsmovement.net/2011/letter-to-platini-7377

http://www.uefa.com/friendlies/season=2012/matches/round=2000293/match=2009377/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ple/ranking/gender=m/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

And people willfully putting the Palestine flag in the same bracket as f**king IS :o

• Advertisement

Oddly enough they have a national football team ....

So that is a NO, Palestine is not a member of UEFA, therefore there IS a difference between the Israel and Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

No sure how this is any differnt to barca fans flying catalonia national flags and singing independece independence independence. maybe barca are fined and beacuse its 18.000 euro we hear nothing about it.

Seems odd that you would fine fans for flying a flag as a sign of support.

So that is a NO, Palestine is not a member of UEFA, therefore there IS a difference between the Israel and Palestine.

Brazil, Argentina, and many other countries aren't members of UEFA either, I think you'll see flags of those countries appear at games all over the shop on the occassion...........

Yes indeed there's a difference.
    One is supported by the U.S. and one is not and the rest are afraid to offend the U.S. Simple really.
    I wonder if those little lads murdered while playing football on the beach has aspirations to represent their country in a World Cup or were they waving their national flag at the time.

aodea wrote: »
    No sure how this is any differnt to barca fans flying catalonia national flags and singing independece independence independence. maybe barca are fined and beacuse its 18.000 euro we hear nothing about it.

Seems odd that you would fine fans for flying a flag as a sign of support.

Probably the best example of teams that get away with this type of thing week in/week out.

kippy wrote: »
    Brazil, Argentina, and many other countries aren't members of UEFA either, I think you'll see flags of those countries appear at games all over the shop on the occassion...........

You may be right however, again for the 3rd time flying those flags is NOT a political message while flying the Palestinian flag at this moment in time clearly is (not one person has disputed this), therefore they are in breach of the rules. FFS they were told 3 times by UEFA to take it down but refused and now people are bitching and moaning and coming up with all types of false equivalencies.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed there's a difference.
    One is supported by the U.S. and one is not and the rest are afraid to offend the U.S. Simple really.
    I wonder if those little lads murdered while playing football on the beach has aspirations to represent their country in a World Cup or were they waving their national flag at the time.

Mate, seriously, you are the only person here trying to bring politics into this when you have been clearly been beaten on the facts regards the issue itself, resorting to posts like the above. This is a soccer forum, so take the above somewhere else.

You may be right however, again for the 3rd time flying those flags is NOT a political message while flying the Palestinian flag at this moment in time clearly is (not one person has disputed this), therefore they are in breach of the rules. FFS they were told 3 times by UEFA to take it down but refused and now people are bitching and moaning and coming up with all types of false equivalencies.

So flying the Argentina flag at a ground in Engerland cannot be taken as a "political message"? (hinting at the Falklands here)
    Or indeed the example used above in relation to Barcelona?

Agreed but flying the Canadian flag would not be seen as a political gesture at this moment in time. That is the difference here that people are deliberately and wilfully ignoring.

That's a completely arbitrary distinction though.

It seems plain enough for something like Palestine, given that it's in the news, but, given the lack of action against other clubs for other political statements - pro-republican, pro-Basque, pro-Catalan, pro-Israeli, one can only assume that some clubs are above these laws and only certain kinds of political statements are unacceptable.

UEFA are deciding to be anally retentive in their application of this law for Dundalk because they're trivial enough as a club, because UEFA is pro-Isreal or a mixture of both.

The Barca one is interesting however, one would have to ask the other clubs about that really especially Real Madrid. However, they were told to take it down and needless to say there were consequences.

Mate, seriously, you are the only person here trying to bring politics into this when you have been clearly been beaten on the facts regards the issue itself, resorting to posts like the above. This is a soccer forum, so take the above somewhere else.

Stop digging.
    You lost the argument a long time ago.
    The very reason there is a fine is because of politics yet you can't or refuse to see that.

• Advertisement

The Barca one is interesting however, one would have to ask the other clubs about that really especially Real Madrid. However, they were told to take it down and needless to say there were consequences.

The point is, they shouldnt have been asked to take down the flag in the first place.
    If they are going to apply this rule it has to be done fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The really funny thing here is that at the current time, flying the Palestinian flag is more about empathy than politics but the bureaucrats at UEFA (& here) would not spot the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dundalk FC fans (in common with many other fans throughout sport in general and the UEFA area in particular) have displayed flags of Palestine in solidarity with 4 children murdered playing football on a beach in Palestine. Palestine is a FIFA affiliated nation and the flag is the flag of a sovereign nation. In Ireland citizens have a Constitutional right of freedom of expression. This right does not vanish at a football turnstile. There are unsubstantiated reports that UEFA are seeking to victimise this small club for displaying these flags with a gigantic 18,000 euro fine. Dundalk fans involved have sought and got legal advice on this matter and a number of fans have now pledged to fight any UEFA infringement of their fundamental Constitutional right to free expression should it materialise.
    Dundalk fans involved also call upon fans of other clubs to make their views on this matter known to UEFA and to defend the basic rights of fellow fans to express their rights within the bounds of the law in this way.
    If football is to remain a game of the people this alleged threatened bullying of a small club by UEFA must be faced down and Dundalk fans involved pledge to do so at whatever personal cost.
    This post is from dundalk shedside army (ssa)

SSA statement.

Lionel_Hutz.png

The really funny thing here is that at the current time, flying the Palestinian flag is more about empathy than politics but the bureaucrats at UEFA (& here) would not spot the difference!

That's the core stupidity in calling something as vague as a flag a political statement.

If I flew a flag saying "Support Cancer Research" it's not me trying to score political points against the government for underfunding healthcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Using those kids that were killed on the beach is not going to pluck up any support. Those flags have been there well before that. It is very tasteless IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Someone needs to advise these lads that their right to freedom of expression is not absolute before they look really really silly

dreamers75 wrote: »
    SSA statement.

Lionel_Hutz.png

Ha.

"Dear SSA,

If you want to do the club a favour, put money raised towards the fine rather than legal fees. After all, if Celtic and Bayern and other clubs with armies of lawyers had to cough up, a challenge is probably a long shot.

PS - the Irish Constitution does not actually mean that Irish clubs get some free pass when it comes to observing the UEFA rules they accepted"

CSF wrote: »
    Someone needs to advise these lads that their right to freedom of expression is not absolute before they look really really silly

UEFA can have whatever rules they want. Nobody's forcing Dundalk to be part of them.

And anyway, we don't really have freedom of speech in Ireland.

kippy wrote: »
    The point is, they shouldnt have been asked to take down the flag in the first place.
    If they are going to apply this rule it has to be done fairly.

Therefore people will be using football matches to make political gestures from thereon in. Not something I would like to see to be honest.

Therefore people will be using football matches to make political gestures from thereon in. Not something I would like to see to be honest.

Me neither but as I said, if you are going to do this, you need to make your definition of a political gesture watertight (good luck with that one) and enforce it at every ground in a fair manner.
    This is not happening at present from what I can see so the rule itself needs to be called into question.

• Advertisement

Using those kids that were killed on the beach is not going to pluck up any support. Those flags have been there well before that. It is very tasteless IMO.

So have the Israeli flags at Spurs and Ajax grounds so again where are the records of their fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A quick google search brings up that this isn't an uncommon occurrence

article-0-162AEDBF000005DC-668_634x420.jpg
    celtic-green-brigades-pal-flag.jpg
    p022_f02.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS8awuZW5NSCw6mwlhI9K0xVoPQ4UKzas5pjYMYhaG8gJXDAwu

and just for a bit of balance

Israeli%2Bflags%2Bat%2BAllianz%2BArena%2Bin%2BMunich.jpg
    220px-Ajaxingalgenwaard.JPG
    article-0-15ECF5A1000005DC-673_306x423.jpg
    DSC06666-500x332.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dreamers75 wrote: »
    SSA statement.

Lionel_Hutz.png

Safe to say everyone knows who wrote that statement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So have the Israeli flags at Spurs and Ajax grounds so again where are the records of their fines?

WHAT???? :confused:

I said the flags were there well before the beach incident. Why are they saying it was in support of those kids. I dont have a fracking clue what you are on about with Israel, Spurs and Ajax

WHAT???? :confused:

I said the flags were there well before the beach incident. Why are they saying it was in support of those kids. I dont have a fracking clue what you are on about with Israel, Spurs and Ajax

I don't know why the flags were there but I support their right to have them. I have see Palestinian flags at many venues over the last 50 years. The injustice in Gaza and the West Bank did not start a month ago.

As regards the Israeli flags at Spurs and Ajax I asked if those clubs were fined by EUFA and if not, why not?

dan1895 wrote: »
    A quick google search brings up that this isn't an uncommon occurrence

I'm sure it isn't.

But saying other clubs do not respect the rule is no defence. I have also seen flares at games, yet I know that a club can be fined for them. If a UEFA official repeatedly asked for use of flares to stop but they persisted, I would expect a fine.

I'm sure it isn't.

But saying other clubs do not respect the rule is no defence. I have also seen flares at games, yet I know that a club can be fined for them. If a UEFA official repeatedly asked for use of flares to stop but they persisted, I would expect a fine.

Indeed BUT the point is EUFA officials did nothing about flares or indeed Israeli flags.
    Just the Palestinian flag.
    I wonder why?

I'm sure it isn't.

Two key items.
    1. The "rule" is not at all clear, nor is it implemented fairly - that's a pretty big issue.
    2. The fine handed out is crazy in respect of revenues at the club and far in excess, in relative terms, to many other fines handed out in the past few years for other issues.

Indeed BUT the point is EUFA officials did nothing about flares or indeed Israeli flags.
    Just the Palestinian flag.
    I wonder why?

Do you think it's some conspiracy, maybe the Jews control UEFA like they control Hollywood *?

Or maybe there is a simpler explanation, like the flags weren't waved around when a UEFA official was present and repeatedly asked it to stop.

I'd say the second explanation is likelier, what about you?

* irony, tongue in cheek etc. etc.

• Advertisement

Do you think it's some conspiracy, maybe the Jews control UEFA like they control Hollywood *?

Or maybe there is a simpler explanation, like the flags weren't waved around when a UEFA official was present and repeatedly asked it to stop.

I'd say the second explanation is likelier, what about you?

* irony, tongue in cheek etc. etc.

I don't care why they were waved BUT I do believe in fair play so again why were other clubs not fined for displaying Israeli flags or is that question too hard for you and your pals? Why just Palestinian flags?

Advertisement