Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is using FETAC to gain entry to college actually possible?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    My leaving certificate results have just come out and I missed the points for my course, which leaves my options to repeat the leaving, wait until I'm a mature student or do a fetac into college.
    I have looked into the fetacs and understand all of the modules etc that I would have to do but I have never actually heard of someone getting into college with a fetac and I assume the competition would be tough.
    I just wanted to know if yourself or anyone you know has successfully used a fetac (level 5) to get into college.
    My course of preference is psychology if that makes any difference.
    Or if anyone has any advice or opinion on what I should do, shout :)
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

nichikki wrote: »
    Hi,
    My leaving certificate results have just come out and I missed the points for my course, which leaves my options to repeat the leaving, wait until I'm a mature student or do a fetac into college.
    I have looked into the fetacs and understand all of the modules etc that I would have to do but I have never actually heard of someone getting into college with a fetac and I assume the competition would be tough.
    I just wanted to know if yourself or anyone you know has successfully used a fetac (level 5) to get into college.
    My course of preference is psychology if that makes any difference.
    Or if anyone has any advice or opinion on what I should do, shout :)
    Thank you.
    You can get in with fetac but it's limited. If I were u id repeat. I did fetac this year and did not get the offer I wanted which is nursing I got social studies. I'm going repeating this year. :) it's up to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭Evade

I did. I'm going to DCU this year after doing the Lab Skills level 5 course.

DCU was my second choice of college but the course is pretty similar to my first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭HonestCry

You can get in with fetac but it's limited. If I were u id repeat. I did fetac this year and did not get the offer I wanted which is nursing I got social studies. I'm going repeating this year. :) it's up to u.

Social Studies where? If you don't mind me asking :)

I failed the Leaving Cert and honestly have no idea how the PLC courses work :(
    I want to end up in Galway doing something in Social Care or something similar, i'd like to help people with problems etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

HonestCry wrote: »
    I failed the Leaving Cert and honestly have no idea how the PLC courses work :(
    I want to end up in Galway doing something in Social Care or something similar, i'd like to help people with problems etc

Get onto the website for the course(s) you are interested and ask them if they have a FETAC entry route. If they have, get onto one of the PLC courses they recommend and make sure you get all distinctions.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Get onto the website for the course(s) you are interested and ask them if they have a FETAC entry route. If they have, get onto one of the PLC courses they recommend and make sure you get all distinctions.

I shall do just that! Thank You :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Try to stick to FETAC courses run by VEC/ETB schools, or well established places as they tend to do the full awards, not partial awards, as many private businesses do.

Make sure to go back to your old school for help in finding and getting onto a PLC that suits. Better late than never that they do what they should have done while you were in the school.

Try to stick to FETAC courses run by VEC/ETB schools, or well established places as they tend to do the full awards, not partial awards, as many private businesses do.

Make sure to go back to your old school for help in finding and getting onto a PLC that suits. Better late than never that they do what they should have done while you were in the school.

My old school is St Louis Kiltimagh in Co.Mayo it's a very good school that offers PLC courses.
    I'm going to contact my Career Guidance teacher and ask for options so hopefully i can progress to third level in Galway next year.

HonestCry wrote: »
    My old school is St Louis Kiltimagh in Co.Mayo it's a very good school that offers PLC courses.
    I'm going to contact my Career Guidance teacher and ask for options so hopefully i can progress to third level in Galway next year.

Yes drop in - they will be delighted to help you. Good luck.

Yes drop in - they will be delighted to help you. Good luck.

Just off the phone with them, i'll get my application today. Start in Community Care next week and hopefully get Youth and Family Studies in NUIG next year.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kostascx123

[qurote="loveemmaxxxx;91892227"]You can get in with fetac but it's limited. If I were u id repeat. I did fetac this year and did not get the offer I wanted which is nursing I got social studies. I'm going repeating this year. :) it's up to u.[/quote]

if u do level 6 in plc u will 100% get in cause my mates going in IT sligo with level 6 plc.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

There were over 15,000 applicants to the CAO this year using FETAC qualifications. But nothing is guaranteed - you will have to get the necessary results. But look at the CAO website and see the links - http://www.cao.ie/?page=scoring&s=fetac&bb=studentresources

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kostascx123

so im doing health fitness nutrition in plc which is up to level 5 but i want to do level 6 advance in sports and recreation and when i get that i want to do IT sligo course health and physiology. would i not get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

If you mean you want to do SG435 Health Science and Physiology in Sligo IT then you need to get the necessary results in your Level 5 which should include a Maths programme (any of the following will do C20139 or 5N1833 or C20174 or C20175 or they will accept LCE Maths).

Points for entry in 2014 were 380 which means you need to be aiming for all distinctions as you will be competing with Leaving Cert students for entry onto this course (the CAO convert your PLC/FETAC results into points). You can for entry to this course combine results from a number of FETAC courses.

You should contact Admissions Office in Sligo IT by email and get them to confirm what the entry requirements for FETAC applicants are. Sometimes a PLC college may have an agreement with an Institute of Technology (IoT) so talk to the college, but always get it confirmed in writing from the IoT.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Padraigoc18

I Plan on going to UL Next year doing Business hopefully and doing the fetac course this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

LegacyFan.JPG
    Not sure if this is of any help to anyone, but here it is anyway!
    (Sorry about the size)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

I Plan on going to UL Next year doing Business hopefully and doing the fetac course this year

I did a PLC in Business and got accepted into Business in UL this year. If you have any questions, feel free to message me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I done security studies in level 5 and moving on to security operations level 6 this year. I want to do social studies or a criminology degree. will these awards help me as the tutors mentioned there are no direct links..

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I went from a FETAC Level 5 course to a DCU Level 8 course, so it's definitely possible to get into college through a PLC course. I'm proof!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Where did you get offered social studies?

• Advertisement

I went from a FETAC Level 5 course to a DCU Level 8 course, so it's definitely possible to get into college through a PLC course. I'm proof!

I'm doing a level 5 in Community Care, just wondering what course you did and what course were you offered? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

There were over 15,000 applicants to the CAO this year using FETAC qualifications. But nothing is guaranteed - you will have to get the necessary results. But look at the CAO website and see the links - http://www.cao.ie/?page=scoring&s=fetac&bb=studentresources

Some colleges have negotiated definite entry pathways to certain courses in certain IT's. In some cases, entry is guaranteed if a certain level is achieved in all modules, and in others, qualifications only give you points you can count for CAO.

Advertisement