Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fitting a straight pipe on a 125?

• 25-08-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

ALright lads, have a Suzuki GZ125 and one thing that's quite irritating me is the noise of the exhaust ( or lack of :pac: whichever way you want to look at it )... Anyways the idea came to me when my dad had the exhaust taken off a Honda 100 scooter and the exhaust sound was like a Harley! Was thinking of fitting a straight pipe on my GZ but was just wondering what are the problems that can arise? Can it even be done without the engine sh1tting itself? Another thing a few people are saying on the net is that carbs will need to be re-jetted, is that a must or can it be avoided? If it's a must, what does it involve. Thanks in advance, safe riding, Dylan :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't just don't. Save your money till you can buy something decent for a straight through pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

Was thinking of that too, just an idea I suppose, a bit sceptical about it. Will have this bike for a while I think so won't be buying anything too spectacular soon anyways :p

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

DJDylan106 wrote: »
    Was thinking of that too, just an idea I suppose, a bit sceptical about it. Will have this bike for a while I think so won't be buying anything too spectacular soon anyways :p

If you get a new pipe just keep the stock one so you can put it back on when you want to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

do not put a straight pipe on a maurader, i had the misfortune of driving around with a dude who did just that for a while, straight pipes also hurt performance

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

I did this with my GZ250. Chopped of the stock muffler, put http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JWRZKDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on instead.

It is certainly louder, but smooth with a nice tone, certainly not as obnoxious as straight header pipes, which sound empty or tinny at certain revs rather than a nice growl - engine size a factor here.

I bobbed it so took a lot of weight out of the bike. It is slightly quicker to accelerate if anything, no change to top speed though. Could be related to weight taken off rather than exhaust??? would be minimal with this bike anyway with a pipe mod.

I am not sure on this at all but got the impression form other forums that the rejet is necessary for the US model only... open to correction there of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

drill with long drill bits, and poke holes in the stock baffle as desired :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If you get a new pipe just keep the stock one so you can put it back on when you want to sell it.
    Oh would definitely be doing that pugzilla, wouldn't be planning on throwing anything out.
    bitburger wrote: »
    do not put a straight pipe on a maurader, i had the misfortune of driving around with a dude who did just that for a while, straight pipes also hurt performance
    Yeah, after thinking about it a bit longer i realised how annoying it would get having such a loud noise out of it!
    Wossack wrote: »
    drill with long drill bits, and poke holes in the stock baffle as desired smile.png
    That was another thought Wossack! Somebody told me to do that before and heard the noise of his but completely forgot how good it sounds! Any idea what size drill bit to use?
    beefjerky wrote: »
    I did this with my GZ250. Chopped of the stock muffler, put http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JWRZKDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on instead.

It is certainly louder, but smooth with a nice tone, certainly not as obnoxious as straight header pipes, which sound empty or tinny at certain revs rather than a nice growl - engine size a factor here.

I bobbed it so took a lot of weight out of the bike. It is slightly quicker to accelerate if anything, no change to top speed though. Could be related to weight taken off rather than exhaust??? would be minimal with this bike anyway with a pipe mod.

I am not sure on this at all but got the impression form other forums that the rejet is necessary for the US model only... open to correction there of course.
    Very interesting, never thought of chopping off the old muffler and replace it with something a little louder and smoother... Gone off the whole idea I think of just putting on straight pipes, might go for something a little more convenient like drilling a few holes through the baffles like Wossack recommended or even go for a different muffler! I would imagine that the straight pipes would impede somewhat on the performance due to the lack of back compression into the engine itself. I'd say your boost in performance was more due to the weight taken off, that's kind of the thing that slows the GZ down, the weight...

Thanks for the input lads, much appreciated, can always trust the lads on boards to help out!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

The reason i kept the original muffler and replaced it instead of drilling it is if i want to sell it down the road just reattach it or even sell the stock muffler individually. they are hard to come by unless you buy on amazon from the US (i found anyway)

My mate drilled the muffler on his Virago 125 and it sounded much better than stock.

Good luck either way!

Advertisement