Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best winter coats that don't cost a fortune

Options
  • 25-08-2014 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm going to move this to the Canada forum - for the reason that you will need proper advice on buying that kind of coat. It's not within the regular realm of the F&A forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Have you guys got Uniqlo yet? I got a winter coat from there for an NY winter - it was the warmest coat EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

I found a pretty good coat for $150 + tax in The Bay during one of their sales some time last October. Women's coats tend to be a bit more expensive in there though.

It might be worth checking out some of the own-brand stuff in MEC down on King W - they have a pretty large selection but it might be a bit early for them to have the biggest coats in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I work in Joe Fresh and we just got down and Duvet coats in for $99! They are nice!! Sportchek is quite good too I got my winter coat there last October! It was $200. It's a McKinley and it was $100 cheaper than Columbia but it's pretty much the same as their coats!! It's down and duvet also and it served me well during that polar vortex thing we had last Jan!! Man that was cold!! I'm in Kingston Ontario by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I got mine in sportcheck in the sale in January this year. It's a Columbia, got it for $120 + tax, as it was 50% off. So maybe watch out for sales in sportcheck, they do some good online offers too.

If you have a Costco membership I'd suggest checking there too. I haven't got a winter coat there, but I've got other winter stuff (fleeces, pjs, etc) and I know they do coats. Their stuff seems to be reasonable (well for Canadian prices) and often they have name brand stuff too. It's usually really good quality stuff too.

Best of luck! Here's hoping the winter isn't as bad as last year!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Yeah I find mine really good.

One thing I forgot to say was I got the longer one, the one that goes down to just above my knees. I'd definitely recommend getting one that length. If you do get a bit hot you can open the zip from the bottom up to your waist. (I didn't do that much last winter!!) But it's great, because it keeps that whole area warm and there's no drafts at your back either.

I got ski trousers too, they were great for when I was out shoveling the driveway and stuff too.

I got those in Value village actually. It's a second hand shop, they're all over, but they were brand new, never been worn, $20. So now might be a good time to check out somewhere like that, you might even find a coat there too!

http://www.valuevillage.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Layers, layers, layers. You don't need a big heavy coat, just multiple lighter layers underneath whatever jacket you do have. Old Navy will usually have something suitable for a reasonable enough price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Layers is what i was trying to avoid. I get in doors then and im sweating.

You'll be warmer outdoors with layers. When you get in just take the layers off. Better than being cold outside

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

I got a North Face Gotham jacket at MEC for $250 which was reduced from $500 a couple of years ago. Its like wearing a duvet but really keeps me warm.

The cheapest way is layers but I found it worth paying the extra. Eventually I might get a Canada Goose as the quality is worth the price as they last for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Isn't that the point to layering, that you can take off as much or as little to suit the conditions?

I found that no matter how many layers I put on I could still feel the windchill but once I got the Columbia coat, it's like a duvet too, I couldn't feel the windchill (well on the bits covered by the coat anyway!!). So I think it's worth it just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

go onto kijiji man...probably get a decent one second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

I got mine at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co) for I think $150, its MEC brand and has served me well when waiting for the bus in minus 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

What you want is a good quality, light down jacket. They're unbeatable. Having owned a few in my time, they're more expensive but for a good reason. Many are handy that they can be stored away in a much smaller compact sizes given how easy down is to compress.

"Hawke & Co" do some good, affordable down winter jackets. I bought one myself about 3 days go (albeit here in Ireland) for 80 euros.

Advertisement