Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo design from a quote?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 9:44am

There's two quotes that I have in mind, that I would love to have transformed into a tattoo design, but unfortunately I am not creative enough to do it. If I were to walk into a tattoo studio, would the artists there have any issues with me asking them to come up with possible designs? And would it reflect badly if I didn't like the design?

Also, can someone recommend a tattoo place that would be good for this sort of thing in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

It really depends on the style of the "design" you're looking for - any decent artist should be able to handle script, but you'd need to have an idea of the kind of style you'd like for the actual design, or what elements you'd like to be part of it etc.

An artist can usually draw up a design for you based on reference material you supply, and will charge a non-refundable deposit for this. You're under no obligation to get the design tattooed on you if you don't like it, but you won't get your deposit back either. No one is going to draw something for you for free, or if they can sense you're not sure of what you want and are likely to waste their time.

To give you an example, I'd wanted a quote ("you're just an empty cage girl if you kill the bird") from a Tori Amos song incorporated into a tattoo for a long time. I had an idea that I wanted an empty antique bird cage with a cat sitting on top of it trying to swipe at a bird flying away, with the lyrics in a scroll inside the cage. I went to a tattoo artist whose work I liked, told him my idea, showed him a terrible drawing and some reference material, which he turned into a really awesome design for me. I think it's on one of the "I'll show you mine" threads.

PS the artist was Paul Aherne, but he's working in Cork at the moment.
    Found a picture here from drawing to sketch to tattoo! :D

Advertisement