Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is dental insurance worth getting?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Looking to get dental insurance, is it worth it? And who are the main insurance companies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Personally, I'd say it is not worth it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

Personally, I'd say it is not worth it at all.

Any reasons why it's not worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Had it for years band never had to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I would love to have had this, but it's too late now. Now in my 30s all that drinking coca cola etc is catching up on me, had to spend a few grand on dental stuff over the last few years. Lots of old fillings have worn away and some have even fallen out.

As a self-employed person I don't even get the normal prsi checkups other people get. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I didn't even consider taking out this insurance when I was younger.

Dental stuff is very expensive in this country, even when you shop around. Going abroad is an option but a lot of hassle... If you can get a reasonable quote for dental insurance definitely consider it. Lots of research to be done....

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    I would love to have had this, but it's too late now. Now in my 30s all that drinking coca cola etc is catching up on me, had to spend a few grand on dental stuff over the last few years. Lots of old fillings have worn away and some have even fallen out.

As a self-employed person I don't even get the normal prsi checkups other people get. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I didn't even consider taking out this insurance when I was younger.

Dental stuff is very expensive in this country, even when you shop around. Going abroad is an option but a lot of hassle... If you can get a reasonable quote for dental insurance definitely consider it. Lots of research to be done....

Can you recommend any dentists? Im 29 now and my teeth are getting in bad condition so I'd be in the same position as you. Im thinking of going up north if dental insurance doesn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Myself and Mrs Happy had it last year. We used it quite a bit and over the year it worked out to be worth it as we ended up both getting quite a bit of work done.
    I dont remember filling in any forms about pre-existing conditions though.

We got our insurance thru dentalcover.ie which is now called VHI dental.

Myself and Mrs Happy had it last year. We used it quite a bit and over the year it worked out to be worth it as we ended up both getting quite a bit of work done.
    I dont remember filling in any forms about pre-existing conditions though.

We got our insurance thru dentalcover.ie which is now called VHI dental.

So do you pay the dentist the full amount for the work done and then claim it back off VHI? Also in the first 3 months it only really covers check us and cleaning covering 100% of the cost so are you better off waiting after the 3 months to be covered for fillings, for example.

Advertisement