Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

FatRat wrote: »
    This makes absolutely zero sense. Kerry just beat Mayo and proved they are fitter and have a stronger bench.. exactly what you need to beat the Dubs?

Why are Kerry still being underestimated?

Dublin aren't even in the final yet ffs, it's nearly embarrassing to see how they're carrying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was convinced there was another semi final tomorrow, but judging by the posts here, Dublin must have won it last week or something. I'll just have to pay more attention I suppose

I with you I thought Dublin and Donegal was tomorrow. If the people here think that the match is just a formality they could be in for a shock. I think Dublin will win but not as comfortable as people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

ref was diabolical right through as there was continual fouling by both sides which was ignored by the ref,. Def two soft frees for Kerry. MOTM award poor decision as I would think either of kerrys midfielders deserved it. Donoghue not in the same class as Gooch as he makes poor decisions when better options are available. Still a cracking player.
    Feel sorry for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Players diving and calling for other players to be carded, thuggish players and fans fighting and attempting to attack the referee.

They're obviously watching too much 'soccer' now that they all have Sky Sports subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Definitely, he had some performance.

I thought david moran was the best player by some distance.From start to the very finish he was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

tayto lover

Adverts | Friends

Cormac Reilly will ruin this game, always has to have the limelight.

I posted the above earlier.
    Cormac Reilly is a very poor referee and it's not uncommon for him to ruin a game and favour certain teams. Just ask Cavan people about him.

Why being so bitter?
    I suppose ref shouldn't have sent off the Mayo guy either?

Best team won your just moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

The big fat lad from Mayo should get a lifetime ban from GAA grounds.

I disagree.:D He should be signed up for the Irish rugby team. He'd be a legend. How many stewards did it take to take him off the field?

As a Kerry woman, I'm over the moon that we won. I'm so sorry for Mayo. What a match!

Can't wait for the Donegal/Dublin clash tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

David Moran was brilliant, hopefully he can keep himself fit.

Donaghy, Higgins, O'Connor and most of Kerry's defence stood out for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

FatRat wrote: »
    This makes absolutely zero sense. Kerry just beat Mayo and proved they are fitter and have a stronger bench.. exactly what you need to beat the Dubs?

Why are Kerry still being underestimated?

Do you watch football? Dublin are a lot better defensively and won't be exposed like Mayo were, they are more clinical in attack. Kerry were gifted with two points in extra time of this game, they are lucky to be going through. They will be dismantled by the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

First of all what a couple of hours entertainment, went one way and then the other. You'd have expected Kerry to fade in extra time but Eamonn Fitzmaurice has done some sterling work. Mayo had emptied the tank and Kerry looked like they could keep going even the older lads.

Not really sure about James O'Donoghue as MOTM, made some decisive contributions but was quieten for long periods. Thought Higgins was superb and David Moran for Kerry.

For Mayo not enough players stood up today. Cafferkey was in trouble from the off, Lee Keegan was out of it as was Colm Boyle, Aidan O'Shea picked up an awful injury, Seamus O'Shea played well in the first half, Jason Doherty made some good contributions. I'd have been critical of him in the past but Michael Conroy took the fight to Kerry.

Really even with all the messing in the 2nd period, Kerry outscored Mayo 5-0 in the last 15 minutes which says it all.

End was an absolute joke but Mayo didn't help themselves. That genius of a Maor Foirne getting involved had no business being out there. Deserved the Armagh treatment.

Mayo will kick themselves after last week. I know Joe Brolly has no love for Mayo but its hard to argue the point that while they have given it their all over the last few years, they do lack the ruthlessness at the business end.

Kerry will have no fear of the final but hard to see that defence holding up against Dublin. (unless Donegal shock them)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Great game and great battling and heart from the 2 teams.I think was shocking to ask amateur players to play 2 big games in 6 days. Kerry old guard Aidan O'Mahony and Marc O'Se were immense for Kerry. Young Pa Kilkenny made a huge impact when introduced. Thought David Moran was overrated until last week but my god 2 great performances in the middle of the park against Mayo. Was my man of the match today and surely shoe in for a All Star now. Finally I thought referee was shocking for both teams. Pity to see him getting attacked at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Brolly licking their boots when the come on for interview..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I can't remember a more pulsating match in the last.....,10 years, I defy anyone to have a normal blood pressure reading right now!

Macavity. wrote: »
    Do you watch football? Dublin are a lot better defensively and won't be exposed like Mayo were, they are more clinical in attack. Kerry were gifted with two points in extra time of this game, they are lucky to be going through. They will be dismantled by the Dubs.

Dublin beat Donegal. Thought the game was tomorrow what was the score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why being so bitter?
    I suppose ref shouldn't have sent off the Mayo guy either?

Best team won your just moaning.

Not bitter at all.
    I was a neutral BUT i know Reilly and his favouring decisions. He has history.
    I said it before the game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Very poor refereeing job. Hard to see Mayo doing much more after this to be honest. I do think they were potentially the only team who could challenge Dublin, and I still think that despite Kerry winning today. However, I still wonder what years of constantly coming up second best does to the morale of fellas out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dublin aren't even in the final yet ffs, it's nearly embarrassing to see how they're carrying on.

Less of the they. The Dubs are taking nobody for granted , particularly Donegal. There very little of that talk on these forums.

Fantastic game. Well done Kerry. Star was super. Two great games and great entertainment coming into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Another big game decided by the ref ,in the last 5 years in the last 4 or 5 games the refs exercising bias have been crucial to the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Donaghy got some soft frees but Ger Cafferkey was hanging out of him from the off being honest. It goes on all the time and is rarely penalised but they couldn't really deal with him until Kevin Keane came on. The ref can't be blamed for those failings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 falconio

Lets be gracious fellow Mayomen.

Kerry did better than was expected in midfield and I think that told. Easy to win 'soft frees' when the ball is going in non-stop.

Great defiant year for us. No need to push the panic button, mix in some of the minors and go again. We're in fine fettle, hope James stays on.

Thanks lads, looking forward to next year.

I can't remember a more pulsating match in the last.....,10 years, I defy anyone to have a normal blood pressure reading right now!

After that match I have to re learn how to breathe.....my blood pressure might be normal tomorrow!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Dublin beat Donegal. Thought the game was tomorrow what was the score

You know well what I mean. Dublin will push Donegal aside tomorrow imo. I hope I'm wrong as I want them to win the competition now that Mayo are out, but I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

By my counting the ref gave Kerry 8 easy points including the pelenties in ordinary time. The red card was deserved but there were two frees in right before hand that should have been given, and if they were it wouldn't have happened. I am not saying Mayo didn't do anything but Kerry were a disgrace, especially towards the end with very unsportsman like behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

To be fair, it's the fans who are getting ahead of themselves. I seriously doubt the team are taking anything for granted. They're way too good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Donaghy got some soft frees but Ger Cafferkey was hanging out of him from the off being honest. It goes on all the time and is rarely penalised but they couldn't really deal with him until Kevin Keane came on. The ref can't be blamed for those failings.

i disagree. up the pitch it was every man for himself. pulling, dragging, tripping. fair enough. Then in mayos 21, the referee starts giving frees. The ref has to be consistent. you cant have one set of rules in one area of the pitch and a different set in another. For the majority of donaghies frees i saw two players going for a 50/50 ball, the same as in the midfield where it must be said it was pure carnage.

One of the most entertaining games ive seen in gaelic football. It was like a UFC fight some times

Stoner wrote: »
    Less of the they. The Dubs are taking nobody for granted , particularly Donegal. There very little of that talk on these forums.

Fantastic game. Well done Kerry. Star was super. Two great games and great entertainment coming into it.

There has been a lot of it on the last number of pages of this thread. Read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Best thing about the two games was the fat lad and the auld one linking ''The Star'' off the pitch at the end ! :pac:

Seriously though if and thats still a fairly big if Dublin win tomorrow it will be a good final but at there best they should have to much for Kerry.

To be fair, it's the fans who are getting ahead of themselves. I seriously doubt the team are taking anything for granted. They're way too good for that.

Well yeah, it's the fans I was on about.

Apologies to the fella up a few posts, I meant the arrogant crowd who are just dismissing Donegal, I know they're in the minority of Dublin fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Players diving and calling for other players to be carded, thuggish players and fans fighting and attempting to attack the referee.

They're obviously watching too much 'soccer' now that they all have Sky Sports subscriptions.

We had all the above pre sky sports im afraid.

• Advertisement

Donaghy is so strong, his laughing at Keane when he came on will stick in my mind, he's seen it all before.

All that said McGee or O'Carroll would be tighter on him in the final IMO.

Every referee gets decisions wrong at times. He doesn't have the luxury of replays.

He calls as he sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

James should go I think. Need a more vibrant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Neeson wrote: »
    James should go I think. Need a more vibrant manager.

Think this was the last year for Horan even if we won Sam.

Well done Kerry, but they definitely got some questionable decisions at crucial times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

If the ref had applied the letter of the law during this match there should have been at least 4 more black cards, and two more red ones. Players from both sides were being fouled at nearly every instant. It was bound to blow up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Roquentin wrote: »
    i disagree. up the pitch it was every man for himself. pulling, dragging, tripping. fair enough. Then in mayos 21, the referee starts giving frees. The ref has to be consistent. you cant have one set of rules in one area of the pitch and a different set in another. For the majority of donaghies frees i saw two players going for a 50/50 ball, the same as in the midfield where it must be said it was pure carnage.

One of the most entertaining games ive seen in gaelic football. It was like a UFC fight some times

That was the strange thing about the refs performance. He seemed to let a lot of stuff go in general play with both teams. He didn't blow for over carrying either, which helped to make it a better game than usual. But then he gave Donaghy a lot of decisions, most of which were 50/50.

I don't see Donaghy having the same impact in the Final, whether it's Dublin or Donegal..

TV issues I missed a chunk of the extra time. Mayo didn't score for any of the bits I missed .

What's the red card about who got it.

TV issues I missed a chunk of the extra time. Mayo didn't score for any of the bits I missed .

A Mayo player got a red card for a wild kick, can't remember who it was though.

EDIT: It was Cillian O'Connor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

O Connor, stupid kick out, had to go

Changed the decision from a free in to a throw in as well

Mayo are an excellent team. Kerry played better in the second half of extra time in mho.

Donegal hopefully will take inspiration from Kerry's win. I'm sure they will and we'll have just an exciting match tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Fireball07 wrote: »

An enjoyable game. Thought Donaghy was man of the match easily.

Donaghy got away with it today against a poor ref. He's a one trick pony, was given frees he had no right to get by a strange referee. He wont have anything like the same impact in the Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Why her stupid father should but of course he will be held as a hero and she will be abused shocking

That's Mick
    He's now officially a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ch20

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Pretty poor interpretation of an outstanding game. Two teams gave it their all and there was nothing between them.
    Ref lost it towards the end of ET but Kerry had it won b y then . Mayo can feel aggrieved by 2 soft frees in 1st half ET but wasted a lot of chances themselves and should have been still there. Great advertisement for football and if tomorrow and the final give us half the entertainment, I'll be thrilled.

I agree the match was very entertaining at times. But the ref gave Kerry all the 50/50 decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I honestly didn't think the ref was that bad and I wanted Mayo to win.I thought he got all 3 penalty decisions correct apart from not giving a black card for Mayo's penalty and in every game of football you could have arguments about loads of frees that were given/not given.

Kieran Donaghy may be a great player but his cynical behaviour is dreadful at times.

Horan has to take a degree of blame for this defeat he should have taken Cafferky off Donaghy much sooner and put someone like Barry Moran/Tom Parsons on Donaghy. Donaghy isn't a normal full forward so you don't need a regular full back to mark him just some one who can compete with him in the air. Donegal /Dublin will be much shrewder in how the deal with him. Todays match also shows that a great bench is vital in the modern game and Mayo just don't have it although Michael Conroy played very well when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Aineoil wrote: »
    Every referee gets decisions wrong at times. He doesn't have the luxury of replays.

He calls as he sees it.

thats fair enough, but he consistently gave kerry and in particular donaghy very dubious frees, while not giving mayo any!

felt he didnt play enough injury time either, but it would have been unlikely that mayo could have pulled anything out of the bag at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

People will talk about the two soft frees in ET half one, but there was one at the end of that half not given even though Donaghy was being dragged out of. Thought the best team won. Kerry dominated the first half, it was quite surreal to see Mayo go in 3 points ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

If the ref had applied the letter of the law during this match there should have been at least 4 more black cards, and two more red ones. Players from both sides were being fouled at nearly every instant. It was bound to blow up eventually.

this was the inconsistency. He let it go in the center, but then in mayos 21, he blew up.

in fairness he turned into a great game by just letting most things go. Normally refs would blow up, but he just let the players fly into each other in MF. pure carnage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

Ref gave at least 4 easily scoreable frees to kerry for fouls on donaghy that never happened. And considering what he was letting go further out the pitch you'd have to wonder if he was a little sour after the overturning of the red card seen as he was the linesman who flagged it.

Tigger wrote: »
    That's Mick
    He's now officially a legend

As I said before in another post - he should be signed for the Irish rugby team!

I think it took 14 stewards to take him off the pitch. Or so the story goes.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Congrats to both teams it was a monumental game of football. I'm sure David Moran could care less that he hasn't a dust collector on the mantlepiece for his contribution in either of the 2 games, but it is a huge injustice to the man.

Days like this, the forum turns into a AH thread, I've read back thru a good few pages and would like to say that none of whom I'd consider regular knowledgeable Dublin supporters have taken tomorrow as a given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement