Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Stinicker wrote: »

The pitch invader lad has my full backing and sympathies and if I was a Mayo fan like him and saw how Mayo were treated I'd probably do the same. People like him are harmless and he reminds me of my own father and I'd say he is a gentle giant (probably a farmer) and the biggest danger was to himself incase he'd get a heart-attack, he had his time and gave the referee a piece of his mind and he did no harm to no one. He is now a legend in his village or town and he is not some scumbag like people here think, this is GAA not soccer, I've been to soccer matches abroad and I'd urge others to do so too, then you'll be glad of our proud GAA tradition where fans mingle, we curse openly, blame the referee for everything, shake hands and hug when its all over and all get pissed in the pub together and out of every game also springs several GAA romances also. There is very little trouble or true thuggery in the GAA. My sister hugged the crying Mayo lad next to us in the terrace. We are all proud of our teams and they are our heroes, we'd follow them to the ends of the earth.

Ok fair enough, tell your dad we're all sorry for judging him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Am I the only one who think that if the man who came onto the pitch had been a bit slimmer I suspect people may not be so quick to defend him.

Because of his weight and the fact that although it was a bad incident it was sort of funny he can almost be shown some sort of mad character from a D'Unbeleivables show rather than a supporter who was threatening the officials.

I'm sure he is an alright fella in general but there's no excuse for what he did and clearly he wasn't too embarassed about his actions (Like a previous poster said would be punishment enough for him) if he was posing for pictures with other fans after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Congratulations to Kerry - vest astute management - the use of Donaghy was outstanding.

Football is very hard to ref now - the penalty decisions were all controversial - was the initial contact for the Mayo penalty outside the box ? Should it have been a black card ? Did James O Donoghue 'play' for the penalty and go to ground ? Did the Mayo player make contact with the ball for the 2nd Kerry penalty ?

The 2 Kerry frees in extra time looked very harsh (to put it mildly) - I didn't see any fouls.

Whatever your opinions on the big decisions - it's fairly obvious that they had a major bearing on the outcome - if we can take the time to look at hawk-eye then IMO it's time to introduce a video ref and maybe allow each captain 3 or 4 challenges to ref's decisions - this works very well in tennis and rugby.

With 30 players on the field and a high degree of physical contact and now the black card issue - it's very hard for refs to get all the big calls correct - it's time for the GAA to give the refs more assistence IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

whatever about the fat farmer pitch invader lad, I'd take more issue with that skinny washed up twat from the mayo back room staff that came on looking for a piece of action. he should receive a lengthy ban more than any other player or pitch invader. it's really only GAA where you see the back room staff getting involved when something breaks out on the pitch, needs to be addressed and stamped out.

on a side note, the state of him, it's not like he'd have had anything to contribute in a row anyway...eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Am I the only one who think that if the man who came onto the pitch had been a bit slimmer I suspect people may not be so quick to defend him.

Because of his weight and the fact that although it was a bad incident it was sort of funny he can almost be shown some sort of mad character from a D'Unbeleivables show rather than a supporter who was threatening the officials.

I'm sure he is an alright fella in general but there's no excuse for what he did and clearly he wasn't too embarassed about his actions (Like a previous poster said would be punishment enough for him) if he was posing for pictures with other fans after the match.

Have a look on twitter, the fat fool posed for photos in Supermacs for all in sundry. Where were the gardai when he invaded the pitch, he could of had a knife or something? He should have had the lard hammered out of him by four baton wielding gardai.

Dressed like a pig farmer, people should be ashamed of him but instead they get their pictures taken with him. This country....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

[

The pitch invader lad has my full backing and sympathies and if I was a Mayo fan like him and saw how Mayo were treated I'd probably do the same. People like him are harmless and he reminds me of my own father and I'd say he is a gentle giant (probably a farmer) and the biggest danger was to himself incase he'd get a heart-attack, he had his time and gave the referee a piece of his mind and he did no harm to no one. He is now a legend in his village or town and he is not some scumbag like people here think, this is GAA not soccer, I've been to soccer matches abroad and I'd urge others to do so too, then you'll be glad of our proud GAA tradition where fans mingle, we curse openly, blame the referee for everything, shake hands and hug when its all over and all get pissed in the pub together and out of every game also springs several GAA romances also. There is very little trouble or true thuggery in the GAA. My sister hugged the crying Mayo lad next to us in the terrace. We are all proud of our teams and they are our heroes, we'd follow them to the ends of the earth..[/QUOTE]

As good and as accurate a paragraph as I have seen on boards. I am not a football man but I enjoyed every minute of both games. You are spot on about the pitch invader. Mind you I was delighted the way the guard sent the other mayo fan flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Don't want to hijack this but anyone on here watch the game on GaaGo? It was unwatchable for me. Kept cutting out and jumping back. Ended up having to listening on the wireless. Very frustrating....hope it's only a blip and is better today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Well done to Kerry. They have a big job now to get their referee ready for the final in 3 weeks, he looked out on his knees in ET. Cormac OReilly is the man that makes them tick and if he is fit they have every chance of winning the All Ireland. Hopefully, from Kerrys point of view, it was just a bit of cramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

BwT8fZUCQAA8Qx8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Back from the game. Watched it back on rte.

Firstly congratulations to Mayo. They played fantastic stuff. Just were dead on their feet in the second period on extra time after 14 men last week. Their supporters were gracious leaving Limerick and i am surprised reading a lot of the nonsense on here.

The ref.
    Few points - i thought the ref was fairly even handed. He could have sent a player off for either side for the penalty. This nonsense about the mayo player getting the ball for the third penalty, the defender slid in, feet first behind the man. It was a foul. It was in the box. It was a penalty. End of. Its lazy to blame the ref. mayo had their chances and hit some bad wides.

The forwards.
    Mayos forward line was one player. Once o connor petered out Mayo had a tough time of it. They had chances but left a lot of wides behind them. Kerry were woeful in the first half missing from point blank. Kerry had a fitter fresher bench and their movement was excellent.

Midfield.
    Moran won this on his own today. My motm again after i said it last week. O shea and o connor collision was horrific and they were magnificent to play on. Carried out the last ball which he fielded at least 11 feet in front of the full back line. Unreal. Peter crowley is as good a half back since seamus moynihan.

Management and panels.
    Mayo were niave to let donaghy in there doing damage rather than play a sweeper. Marc o shea played like a man possessed after being dropped. I thought Mayo were out thought on the line but its hard to blame Horan when Kerrys subs were running riot in extra time. The last score was declan (sub) to sheehan (sub) to kieran o leary (sub) to barry john (sub) to p geaney (sub) to dummy solo to cod his marker and flicked it over with his left holding off a second defender. Fresh legs told.

The dubs.
    Dublin have two all irelands in three years. One kerry gift wrapped after leading for 68 mins. I have no idea where this perceived superiority comes from. Do two back to back. Mayo thumped ye two years ago. I will forward to tomorrow in anticipation.

Cynical play.
    Today was hard hitting. I was in croke park last week when mayo were four up and killing the clock. They did the same against dublin. If anything today was cleaner. What the hell a mayo selector and fan were doing getting stuck in with a minute left is madness.

I would have liked to see Mayo win an AI. They deserved one for effort but Kerry had the fresher legs and hunger today.

Eh hello, why did you bring the dubs into this,is this not a thread Kerry v mayo replay?think you need to watch the 2011 game again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lostincork

I find the level of begrudery here by some Mayo people and other counties shocking. Instead of turning into a rant can I highlight the following
    1. Over two games Mayo had two players sent off (one of them undoubtedly a red card) the other a red card as per the letter of the rule. I don;t think there can be any complaints here. This seems to have by passed a lot of people. Cillian O'Connors pull on Killian Young was danagerous and a cheap shot.
    2. As regards Mayo - Physio / Mayo Fans etc being on the field involved in the pushing and shoving, this is totally out of order and shamefull. No Arguments or justification is exceptable from Mayo Supporters on this.
    3. As regards a "Journalist" / Chrona Esler calling Kerry people scum bags , this is out of order and she should be forced to apologise in full, its small minded individuals like her that do an injustice to the ordinary decent Mayo fans.
    4. As regards the game(s) Kerry were the better team
    5. Aidan O'Shea wasn't exactly squeaky clean yesterday either reference the Anthony Maher incident which is being selectively overlooked.
    6. The way the Mayo management have conducted themselves since last Sunday has been poor no sooner was the game over than there was cribbing about the pitch in Limerick.
    If Kerry had there shooting boots on in the first half they were out the gap, this is against the wind,
    They had the better forwards over the two days whilst Mayo had one single forward over the two games.
    Kerry had the better bench.
    They had the better sideline team and out foxed Mayo yesterday more prominently but also in the first half last week too.
    As regards Kerry's tactics in the last few mins I find this a cheap shot, and a shot of last resort from Mayo fans, hand on heart would Mayo have allowed Kerry to walk throught them at that stage if the shoe was on the other foot? I think not.
    Kerry were fitter and stronger,
    Thirdly you'd swear it was one point win, Kerry won by three points, even allowing for the handy free on Donaghy when tussling with Kane there was still two more points in it, not to mind the 6 wides Barry John Keane kicked himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

Shows how far good coaching and conditioning and a bit of luck can bring a team. This kerry u21 team lost to cork by 22 points only 3 years ago. 8 of this team were involved yesterday and O'Brien would probably have seen some game time but for the knock he picked up last week.

1. Brian Kelly (Legion )
    2. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)3. Mark Griffin (St. Michaels Foilmore) Captain 4. David O'Leary (Dr. Crokes)
    5. Jack Sherwood (Firies ) 6. Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks )7. Jonathan Lyne ( Legion )

8.Thomas Ladden ( Keel ) 9. Edmund Walsh ( Knocknagoshel )

10. James O'Donoghue ( Legion ) 11. Barry John Keane ( Kerins O'Rahillys ) 12. Alan Fitzgerald ( Castlegregory )
    13. Stephen O'Brien ( Kenmare ) 14. Daithí Casey ( Dr. Crokes ) 15. Paul Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

Subs;16. Shane O'Leary (Currow) 17.Pa Kilkenny (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 18. Colm Moriarty (Daingean Uí Chúis)
    19. James Walsh ( Knocknagoshel ) 20.Kieran Hurley ( St Pats Blennerville ) 21. Colm O'Shea ( Firies )
    22. Niall O'Shea ( Dromid Pearses ) 23. James Coffey ( Beaufort ) 24. Barry John Walsh ( Kerins O'Rahillys )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mayo had plenty of chances to win it, but yet again came up short.

Kerry were better team and thats why they are in final and Mayo have another year to reflect.

Can anybody explain why Shane Enright did not receive a black card for the penalty he conceded in the fist half ??

It was as a textbook example of a black card, which would of meant a sending off for him as he was already booked. It was a game changer.

Surely for this decision alone the ref should be reprimanded. There were several other very one sided decisions but the example above alone should be investigated.

Its time to remove incompetent refs as there wrong decisions are changing matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Inmy opinion the key monment in the game was o shea and o conner colliding, if I was to pick two mayo players id like to see out of a game they would be the two and it disrupted the mayo backroom bigtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Can anybody explain why Shane Enright did not receive a black card for the penalty he conceded in the fist half ??

It was as a textbook example of a black card, which would of meant a sending off for him as he was already booked. It was a game changer.

Surely for this decision alone the ref should be reprimanded. There were several other very one sided decisions but the example above alone should be investigated.

Its time to remove incompetent refs as there wrong decisions are changing matches.
    Referee was horrendous for both teams.

Donaghy had his shirt held for 90 minutes.

Aidan O'Shea could have walked for his barge on JOD

Vaughan threw a punch at Donnacha Walsh leading to the brawl where Vaughan threw Walsh over the barrier.
    Maher in turn threw a punch at Barrett on the sideline after Barrett got involved.

Feeney threw an elbow into Crowley before the throw in in Extra time.

Freeman came on at half time, and hit Marc O'Sé off the ball, and both players ended up with yellows.

In a game hundreds of incidents happen, its natural to fixate on ones that went against your team, but the fact of the matter is he was poor for both sides.

On Enright, you are correct, he should have gone, if not a black card, it should have been a yellow. His first yellow came after Cillian put his elbow into his neck on the ground, which led to a scuffle. I'm sure Enright did enough to warrent a yellow card in that scuffle, but this idea that 2 yellows have to be shown when two players scuffle is a joke, when one player clearly antagonizes another player leading to the scuffle. What was he meant to do, let O'Connor choke him?

Hard luck, be proud of your lads they were magnificent over the 2 games, but on the day Kerry deserved to win IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

nm wrote: »
    BwT8fZUCQAA8Qx8.jpg

OMG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yesterday was a pantomine and Donaghy was the villain. (and yer man above^)

Football wasn't always the best, possession was conceded far too easily especially by Mayo but for sheer intensity and physicality it was one of the best games I've ever seen. Almost as good as a hurling match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Brilliant!

A lot of the Kerry backs are underrated I find, I noticed it in the semi last season. Lots of young guys that don't get much attention because of the previous legendary O'Sés, Moynihan etc. but they're very good. Crowley, Fionn Fitz, Enright (he had a bad day yesterday tbf) and Murphy look like they'll be the core of that defence for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

BwT8fZUCQAA8Qx8.jpg

Disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I can't explain it anyway. It looked straight forward. Looked at it on TV and the commentators didn't pick up on it straightaway.

Did enright get a yellow for it or had he it already , if he had it already it was a red and a big deal. If not it would have been a standard black card sub and would have made little difference as he needed changing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stoner wrote: »
    I can't explain it anyway. It looked straight forward. Looked at it on TV and the commentators didn't pick up on it straightaway.

Did enright get a yellow for it or had he it already , if he had it already it was a red and a big deal. If not it would have been a standard black card sub and would have made little difference as he needed changing anyway.

already had a yellow from 1st minute

Stoner wrote: »

He already had a yellow but that should not make a difference. The ref has to explain to the public why Enright did not get a card, it was as blatant as possible. A textbook example of a black card. Two umpires and a linesman watching it as well ????

What is the point in thousands of fans making the effort to go to the game if a ref can do what he did in this game ? Its completely undermining the sport.

Black cards should be removed if the refs are clueless on when to issue them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

BwT8fZUCQAA8Qx8.jpg

No sign of his poor daughter I notice.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Referee was horrendous for both teams.

This is probably the greatest approval you could give a ref for having a superb game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Back from the game and just read the entire thread, I must give my congratulations to what was our best day in the Green and Gold since that famous 10 point hammering of Tyrone in Killarney back in 2012. There is a definite stride in our step now.

The referees in both games were attrocious and wheras Kerry were treated badly in Croker, Mayo definitely got the wrong end of the stick today. I am sick off all this talk about Dublin, they are far from good and I would not be surprised if Donegal defeat them later today.

Kerry are Kerry with 36 All-Ireland titles we are the greatest football team in Ireland and you don't get to the top without being good. We are the purists and today to watch the long high aerial ball floating in was a joy, we are the true and rightful holders of the one true footballing flame.

People can criticize Kerry all they want but we are known as cute hoors in Kerry (ask any Corkman), Kerry adapt and we will do whatever it takes to defeat teams, we have masterful tacticians and today this Kerry team outsmarted Mayo who were the better team of individuals but Kerry with the brain, wit and experience eventually got the better of Mayo. Yes the referee played his part but Kerry are normally the team who is on the receiving end of disgraceful refereeing, (eg. Joe McQuillan 2011 & Cormac Reilly in 2013), the ref contributed yes but Mayo got everything last week and should have put Kerry out of sight both in the first game and again today when they went 7 points clear.

Credit to Kerry we fought long and hard and fought to the bitter end for everything and it was a bruising epic encounter, Kerry do the basics right and like the Kerryman who wrote the book on football Dr. Eamonn O'Sullivan Kerry stayed 100% true to his original theology of the Kerry footballing tradition, we absolutely cleaned Mayo out at mid-field and then we sent it in long and high to the big men inside. This is how you beat teams. full stop.

Kerry are no longer a team of pushovers and Fitzmaurice has brought cute-hoorism (a doctrine of Kerry life ask any Healy-Rae) directly into our game plan, we knew Mayo were going for the goal so the schmozzle was started, job done, we closed it out and won the game, its called using the head and doing whatever it takes at that point in time. We have learned the hard way before and Kerry learn from the past and adapt. We have a handy Minor team and the conveyor belt of talent is flowing again so whatever happens Kerry are Kerry and will never go away, we will continue to dominate and we will haunt teams all over the country.

I am predicting that Kerry will sneak in under the radar now as this Dublin lot are so cocky they may aswell just turn up if everything was to be believed.

It was a great game and there was no malice between fans and it was great banter, I am gutted Mayo lost as I'd love to see them lift Sam but for them to do it they should beat Kerry in the final to make it special, heck after today I wouldn't begrudge them one bit.

The pitch invader lad has my full backing and sympathies and if I was a Mayo fan like him and saw how Mayo were treated I'd probably do the same. People like him are harmless and he reminds me of my own father and I'd say he is a gentle giant (probably a farmer) and the biggest danger was to himself incase he'd get a heart-attack, he had his time and gave the referee a piece of his mind and he did no harm to no one. He is now a legend in his village or town and he is not some scumbag like people here think, this is GAA not soccer, I've been to soccer matches abroad and I'd urge others to do so too, then you'll be glad of our proud GAA tradition where fans mingle, we curse openly, blame the referee for everything, shake hands and hug when its all over and all get pissed in the pub together and out of every game also springs several GAA romances also. There is very little trouble or true thuggery in the GAA. My sister hugged the crying Mayo lad next to us in the terrace. We are all proud of our teams and they are our heroes, we'd follow them to the ends of the earth.

Great Day, drained, my sincere and deepest sympathies to Mayo and I hope ye'll come back and lift Sam some day. As for Kerry we'll retreat back to the hills for a few weeks, downplay ourselves while we formulate something special, we will be setting a trap for the men from Glenties or the City Slickers and like all Kerry cute hoors we'll be waiting in the long grass.

Lovely post.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Back from the game and just read the entire thread, I must give my congratulations to what was our best day in the Green and Gold since that famous 10 point hammering of Tyrone in Killarney back in 2012. There is a definite stride in our step now.

The referees in both games were attrocious and wheras Kerry were treated badly in Croker, Mayo definitely got the wrong end of the stick today. I am sick off all this talk about Dublin, they are far from good and I would not be surprised if Donegal defeat them later today.

Kerry are Kerry with 36 All-Ireland titles we are the greatest football team in Ireland and you don't get to the top without being good. We are the purists and today to watch the long high aerial ball floating in was a joy, we are the true and rightful holders of the one true footballing flame.

People can criticize Kerry all they want but we are known as cute hoors in Kerry (ask any Corkman), Kerry adapt and we will do whatever it takes to defeat teams, we have masterful tacticians and today this Kerry team outsmarted Mayo who were the better team of individuals but Kerry with the brain, wit and experience eventually got the better of Mayo. Yes the referee played his part but Kerry are normally the team who is on the receiving end of disgraceful refereeing, (eg. Joe McQuillan 2011 & Cormac Reilly in 2013), the ref contributed yes but Mayo got everything last week and should have put Kerry out of sight both in the first game and again today when they went 7 points clear.

Credit to Kerry we fought long and hard and fought to the bitter end for everything and it was a bruising epic encounter, Kerry do the basics right and like the Kerryman who wrote the book on football Dr. Eamonn O'Sullivan Kerry stayed 100% true to his original theology of the Kerry footballing tradition, we absolutely cleaned Mayo out at mid-field and then we sent it in long and high to the big men inside. This is how you beat teams. full stop.

Kerry are no longer a team of pushovers and Fitzmaurice has brought cute-hoorism (a doctrine of Kerry life ask any Healy-Rae) directly into our game plan, we knew Mayo were going for the goal so the schmozzle was started, job done, we closed it out and won the game, its called using the head and doing whatever it takes at that point in time. We have learned the hard way before and Kerry learn from the past and adapt. We have a handy Minor team and the conveyor belt of talent is flowing again so whatever happens Kerry are Kerry and will never go away, we will continue to dominate and we will haunt teams all over the country.

I am predicting that Kerry will sneak in under the radar now as this Dublin lot are so cocky they may aswell just turn up if everything was to be believed.

It was a great game and there was no malice between fans and it was great banter, I am gutted Mayo lost as I'd love to see them lift Sam but for them to do it they should beat Kerry in the final to make it special, heck after today I wouldn't begrudge them one bit.

Great Day, drained, my sincere and deepest sympathies to Mayo and I hope ye'll come back and lift Sam some day. As for Kerry we'll retreat back to the hills for a few weeks, downplay ourselves while we formulate something special, we will be setting a trap for the men from Glenties or the City Slickers and like all Kerry cute hoors we'll be waiting in the long grass.

Everything that is wrong with the GAA summed up in one post. I doubt the 6 lads it took to hold him back would agree he wasn't a danger. It's embarrassing being from the same county as people who hold the opinions of this post.

Absolute garbage...clueless pig ignorant garbage at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

There were a number of cynical play incidents yesterday that went unpunished by the officials. Players on both sides pulling down opposition, players lying on the ball and on players,kicking the ball away and standing infront of players denying them the chance to play quick ball.

This leads to frustration on the part of playersand leads to the altraction at the end involving players, officials and spectators.

The officials dont sem to have the bottle to make the bid decisions, they are afraid to send off players because it will "ruin the game". I also feel that they feel that the administration dont support them and hang them out to dry when they really need some support.

If a player repeatly infringes or cynically infringes the refs have to issue the necessary cards, its not the refs fault if a player already on a card does something stupid and gets a second card and is off for the game.

Players who cynically stop free kicks from being taken quickly need to be carded as well as this is what leads to frustration and over reactions.

Refs dont ruin games by imposing the rules, players ruin them by breaking the rules.
    Refs dont send players off, players get sent off as a result of their actions.

Refs can ruin games bys failing to implement the rules properly all the time, if that means we finish a game with 10 aside until the players learn how to play the game fairly so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Donaghy free in the first half of extra time that apparently won the game for Kerry. You can see it at 2:05 on the RTE player. Keane is hanging from Donaghy's arm just as the ball is being let in.

What has everyone going mad is the first replay they showed there was no free in, but the whistle was already gone at that point as Tommy Carr even mentioned while at the same time complaining that there was no free evident in the replay. If the replay is from after the free was given I'm not sure what he was expecting.

In any case, even if the free hadn't been given Donaghy still won the ball and easily shrugged off Keane to end up in possession just to left of goal on the 14. I think there's a pretty good chance it would have ended in a score anyway considering the position and the decorating Donaghy was giving the Mayo backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The free Barry John got 3 minutes later was soft, although Declan Sullivan should have had a free against Parsons before giving the pass across to him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Well done to Kerry. They have a big job now to get their referee ready for the final in 3 weeks, he looked out on his knees in ET. Cormac OReilly is the man that makes them tick and if he is fit they have every chance of winning the All Ireland. Hopefully, from Kerrys point of view, it was just a bit of cramp.

People seem to forget that as, the best foot passing team in the Country, no referee can keep up with Kerry. All of a sudden the ball has moved 40/50 yards and if a Kerry player throws himself in contact, to win a free, (not unheard of), the ref can only make a long distance decision. if watching on TV, you have a view that no ref ever has.
    O'Reilly was poor yesterday, (again), but I believe that it is now IMPOSSIBLE for one man to ref at intercounty level. The GAA have allowed rucks to develop and any free from these is a toss of a coin.
    Top teams now PLAY the referee, having studied him before hand, fouling is now being coached at under-age level, and a couple of exciting games cloud the fact that Gaelic football is a mess.
    Fouling is now as much part of the game as the hand pass and anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land.
    Roll on the day, when Cork finally learn how to play the "new" Gaelic football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Like a lot of your posts re the Kerry football team ...

“There are some things one remembers even though they may never have happened.”
    ― Harold Pinter, Old Times

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

He already had a yellow but that should not make a difference. The ref has to explain to the public why Enright did not get a card, it was as blatant as possible. A textbook example of a black card. Two umpires and a linesman watching it as well ????

What is the point in thousands of fans making the effort to go to the game if a ref can do what he did in this game ? Its completely undermining the sport.

Black cards should be removed if the refs are clueless on when to issue them.

I am a Kerryman but that was a stonewall black.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

2 penalties that werent and Enright gets away with a clear black card. 6 points handed to Kerry and they kept their full quota on the pitch. Huge incorrect decisions which decided a brilliant contest. Absolutely shocking.

All being glossed over in the papers today i see. Really looking forward to a month of Dublin kerry 1970s rivalry sh1te-talk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Really, really enjoyed the games, both last night and last week-end. Both were pulsating contests, very exciting and nerve wracking. That said, given we were looking at possibly two of the top three / four teams in the country, then the standard was poor enough - however that's a secondary consideration during the match, given the entertainment. Making forecasts later, then that becomes more pertinent

For me, like others have said - the better (20 man) team won - Kerry looked more dangerous in attack - more incisive, and got their scores that bit handier, whilst they had a greater spread of threats across the team and the panel. The injury to Aidan O'Se was an absolute body blow to Mayo's chances. He was never the same thereafter and his performance was but a pale shadow of his tour-de-force last week. That said, Mayo still had chances to pull it out of the fire but spurned them - chances that will haunt the individuals concerned long into their retirements.

At the very top level, where games are so physical, I would have to concede it is very, very difficult to referee, and certainly almost impossible to please everyone. The ref last night made mistakes - I'd love to get a close up look at Kerry's first penalty - which have to be expected. However I think where he can be criticised is his inconsistency. In the context of the match, the two frees given to Donaghy were generous in the extreme, and the free given after Barry John Keane had beaten the defender and shot wide was the correct interpretation of the advantage rule (I think), but was not replicated elsewhere.

However the non-issuing of cards was absolutely criminal and were clearly of a man who did not want to put players off - his use of the 'black card', or indeed lack of use, was absolutely symptomatic of the problems with this rule - referees are afraid to issue given that it will mean a player leaving the field. I have to be honest and say I would feel very sore if I was a Mayo man this morning, irrespective of their own costly mistakes and the fact the better team won - those refereeing deicisions had an impact.

The best player on the park for me was David Moran - I remember him giving us a serious going over in the league a few years back and I predicted great things for him, until injury got in the way - great to see him back as a top class mid-fielder.

I feel desperately sorry for Mayo - they've come close but it looks like they're going to come up short. They remind me where we were in 2000 after Kerry beat us by three points after extra-time in a replay. We needed new blood to make the breakthrough and I see the same for Mayo - I can't see this group having what it takes to win the ultimate.

All the talk in the media has concentrated on the positives about last night, which is but right, but let me say that I'm convinced if that had been two Ulster teams - say, off the top of my head, Cavan and Armagh for instance - then the headlines might be a wee bit more negative and indeed hysterical. Extremely cynical play in many facets of the game and not a peep about it in the media - or maybe I'm just another paranoid nordie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

seligehgit wrote: »
    OMG!

How did the parking go, seligehgit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Shelflife wrote: »
    There were a number of cynical play incidents yesterday that went unpunished by the officials. Players on both sides pulling down opposition, players lying on the ball and on players,kicking the ball away and standing infront of players denying them the chance to play quick ball.

This leads to frustration on the part of playersand leads to the altraction at the end involving players, officials and spectators.

The officials dont sem to have the bottle to make the bid decisions, they are afraid to send off players because it will "ruin the game". I also feel that they feel that the administration dont support them and hang them out to dry when they really need some support.

If a player repeatly infringes or cynically infringes the refs have to issue the necessary cards, its not the refs fault if a player already on a card does something stupid and gets a second card and is off for the game.

Players who cynically stop free kicks from being taken quickly need to be carded as well as this is what leads to frustration and over reactions.

Refs dont ruin games by imposing the rules, players ruin them by breaking the rules.

Refs can ruin games bys failing to implement the rules properly all the time, if that means we finish a game with 10 aside until the players learn how to play the game fairly so be it.

One issue I have a big problem with is players holding on to the ball, standing in front of the ball etc. so a free can't be taken. All the ref can do is move it forward 13 metres. If this is in the own half of the side who gets the free you are actually at a disadvantage as the opposing team can filter players back. I think it is time for stronger action on this. We have to be careful as there will be a lot of cynical attempts to get other players booked etc by kicking it off retreating players but at the same time it is a major blight on the game at present and is something which should be coming up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

feargale wrote: »
    How did the parking go, seligehgit?

Ah went great feargale..parked beside the Greenhills hotel.Paid 5 euro to park on the Caherdavin soccer pitch.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    No sign of his poor daughter I notice.

The "Tír na n-Óg" in the background is most appropriate. What will he be when he grows up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

One issue I have a big problem with is players holding on to the ball, standing in front of the ball etc. so a free can't be taken. All the ref can do is move it forward 13 metres. If this is in the own half of the side who gets the free you are actually at a disadvantage as the opposing team can filter players back. I think it is time for stronger action on this. We have to be careful as there will be a lot of cynical attempts to get other players booked etc by kicking it off retreating players but at the same time it is a major blight on the game at present and is something which should be coming up for debate.

Agree, there was two red cards as a direct result of this tactic, the Mayo players should have kept their heads but kerry got the response they wanted, slow ball and frustrated players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

With all the criticism saying kerry had a man sent off if mayo hadnt appealed the red and the gaa overturning it on a technicality you cant blame the ref for thinking i dont want any of that nonsense and refusing to send anyone off

If mayo had taken their medicine the ref would have been raring to send a kerry player off

You reap what you sow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

With all the criticism saying kerry had a man sent off if mayo hadnt appealed the red and the gaa overturning it on a technicality you cant blame the ref for thinking i dont want any of that nonsense and refusing to send anyone off

If mayo had taken their medicine the ref would have been raring to send a kerry player off

You reap what you sow

I'm sorry, but if a referee at any level is going to let something like that affect his decision making, then he shouldn't be refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

dobman88 wrote: »
    Everything that is wrong with the GAA summed up in one post. I doubt the 6 lads it took to hold him back would agree he wasn't a danger. It's embarrassing being from the same county as people who hold the opinions of this post.

I think it's embarrassing being from the same county as people up on some high moral horse, all pompous and righteous and out to criticise at all costs! Everything in that post is genuine and good natured.What the hell is so wrong with that?

Shelflife wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. You could add that refs are afraid that if they apply the rules strictly they won't be asked to ref again. As others have pointed out, you either have a rule or not. If two refs strictly implemented the rules in two consecutive games, that might ruin the two games in question, but it would cure the messing once and for all. That's a small price to pay.
    In today's game McGee was black carded for what seemed a perfectly fair old fashioned shoulder, yet every time a sub comes on now it seems to be obligatory to start by giving his opponent the same off the ball, and nothing is done about it. One yellow card would stop that childish carry on, which shouldn't happen in a man's game.
    Soccer has been ruined by the official cowardice and cynicism that has rotted the game from top to bottom, and Gaelic football is in danger of going the same way. And hurling isn't far behind.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    I think it's embarrassing being from the same county as people up on some high moral horse, all pompous and righteous and out to criticise at all costs! Everything in that post is genuine and good natured.What the hell is so wrong with that?

Sigh! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Fantastic analysis by McStay - "the pictures don't lie".
    That ref was brutal, for both sides, but Kerry should have been playing with 14 players for most of the match alright.

50-50 final now.

jacool wrote: »
    Fantastic analysis by McStay - "the pictures don't lie".
    That ref was brutal, for both sides, but Kerry should have been playing with 14 players for most of the match alright.

50-50 final now.
    Not much good to Mayo now, that ref has potentially caused mayo to lose out on an All Ireland. Shameful from the GAA.

Not much good to Mayo now, that ref has potentially caused mayo to lose out on an All Ireland. Shameful from the GAA.

How is it the GAA's fault that a ref made a bad call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Shameful bythe GAA? Are you serious? What was shameful about it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement