Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Someone needs to think of the children as well at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

realweirdo wrote: »
    Donaghy had his hand or hands in Cafferkys face the whole game and no free given. Blow on Donaghy its a free

You entire post is laughable, but I had to relate one story. I was on the City End terrace, so Donaghy and Cafferkey were in front of me in the second half. Cafferkey was hanging off Donaghy every time the ball came in (don't blame him, what the f**k else can you do). Eventually, the Mayo man standing behind me says "Cafferkey looks like a child trying figure out how to climb his first tree." Have to laugh at the notion that he was some sort of innocent victim in all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I used to referee club games in Galway. Fun times. I normally do not comment on individual games but unfortunately I thought O'Reilly's display on Saturday was as bad as it gets. He didn't seem to be concentrating and missed an awful lot. Usually when a referee has a bad day the decisions tend to even out but that was not the case on Saturday. It was very unfair on Mayo.

In saying that I must state that the GAA are not corrupt and do not engineer results. It simply does not happen and I hope never will. However you do get county board officials trying to plant a seed if you know what I mean e.g. if I was refereeing Tuam v Dunmore in a semifinal you might hear before the match "Jaysus it would great to see a Tuam-Corofin final, it would draw a great crowd". The trick is not letting that seed grow...

Also I must say that all referees (but for some reason especially GAA referees) will try and "even up the game" if one team gets a big lead, I suppose it's an Irish underdog psyche thing or whatever. It isn't really deliberate, it's just little decisions and allowing the chasing team the benefit of the doubt. I saw it in Donegal v Dublin too towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

almostover wrote: »
    Didn't hear too many protestations from the Mayo fans when the same referee didn't award some blatant frees to Colm O'Neill in the Q/F!! Or when he told Cork that there was time for another attack! Mayo fans were happy enough with the job he did that day! Not to mention that the single biggest poor refereeing/GAA decision was to overturn Lee Keegan's red card. Back to connacht for the winter with ye to lick those wounds.

Thats a bit rich coming from a Cork supporter. Your team were in fine cynical mood when they "played" Mayo. Not releasing the ball when a free is awarded, throwing/kicking ball away, over-robust 2-man tackles after ball was gone,pushing opponents out over the sideline - need I go on?

Oh, but sure ye have a certain Murphy down there............. suspensions would never stick:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The hanging onto the ball by Kerry when frees were called drove me f*ing nuts. On several occasions even the ref seemed to be saying let it go and they wouldn't. If it was a child playing you'd tell him to stop being childish and let go of the ball. It shouldn't be allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The hanging onto the ball by Kerry when frees were called drove me f*ing nuts. On several occasions even the ref seemed to be saying let it go and they wouldn't. If it was a child playing you'd tell him to stop being childish and let go of the ball. It shouldn't be allowed

They were a this from the first minute, kicking the ball away as well. Slowing the play and getting men behind the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

This is brilliant.

The Mayo fans think this is the biggest injustice in the history of the GAA.

The ref made some bad calls but the better team won.
    I've read most of this thread, but I can't actually see that anywhere?

Quick question. How would you rate the referee's performance out of 10?
    Thanks in advance for reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

We are well used to injustices in Mayo so we don't get too excited when a new one comes along, we almost expect it at this stage.

Apparantly they were even saying on the Terrace Talk program in Kerry that the ref gave Kerry an advantage, so it must have been bad if they are saying it.

I personally thought at least 1 if not both Kerry penalties were dubious and ultimately that's where the game was decided.

But there you go, them's the breaks.

If Kerry win the AI, good luck to them. If they lose it I really hope I near no whinging about referees on here by posters like cormacjones.

All within the rules. It's very frustrating though for a team chasing a game and ultimately its not or shouldn't be in the spirit of the GAA. It's part of the "win at all costs" approach that has slipped into the modern game and the quicker its rooted out the better. Like I said earlier a few black cards for kicking a ball away or not giving it up when asked by the referee would sort it out. In the meantime you will get players lashing out in an attempt to get the ball back and the kind of melee you got at the end of the game yesterday. Kerry lost a lot of admirers yesterday, and I'd be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

So it seems the GAA got it entirely right by playing the game in the GG. Far from a sell out.

More of these matches should be played around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Rightwing wrote: »
    So it seems the GAA got it entirely right by playing the game in the GG. Far from a sell out.

SF replays and quarter finals should be played around the country in the future imo.

Agreed. And well done to Limerick, the whole thing was handled really well, lovely stadium and lovely city.

I also thought it was good that a lot of Kerry people who wouldn't normally travel to semi-finals got a chance to go. Always thought it unfair that Kerry people have to travel so far to Croke Park. Or Galway, Mayo or Donegal people for that matter.

I don't think most people would be too upset if semi final replays were brought down the country to places like Limerick or Thurles.

Would be great if more games were spread around alright.

Prov champs getting home adv would be a good reward for winning the prov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

keane2097 wrote: »

Would be good for the hurling anyway, not too sure about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well done to Kerry the better side over the 90 mins won. To reach AI final with so much change and trouble with injuries is a job well done for Kerry management. Mayo can talk about the ref or the clash that injured but O Connor,O Shea etc but Mayo probably lost this semi final in Croke park by letting a 5 point lead slip with 4 mins to go.

For whatever reason the form wasn't their for Mayo this year and high leakage of scores during the league was carried into the championship.

Hard to know where to next for Mayo, Horan has done a fine job to have them so consistent but some rebuilding needs to be done now and from it they will probably fall back somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

The game was tense and exciting no doubt.

However, the officiating was terrible. Kerry used every known trick in the book to win this game, time-wasting, feigning injury, deliberate taking out of marquee players for Mayo, stealing yards from frees and lineballs.

To give one example of the amateurish refereeing, a Kerry midfielder was fouled at one stage and the referee blows a free, the kerry midfielder throws the ball to a team-mate who continues on, soloing up the field. What on earth? Donaghy had his hand or hands in Cafferkys face the whole game and no free given. Blow on Donaghy its a free, Aidan O'Shea nearly gets his head taken off repeatedly and nothing. Seamus O'Sea goes for a ball and is tripped, no free. Barry John Keane beats his man and has a clear attempt at goal and misses, then its called back for a free. Does the ref even understand the advantage rule? No black card for Mayo penalty, no black card for repeated cynical fouling and dragging down. Kerry men kicking away the ball, holding onto it or lying on it when a free is awarded against them. This was always going to lead to a mass brawl and/or a Mayo man getting sent off for striking out. Something has to be done about not releasing the ball immediately or kicking it away. Black card would be my suggestion.

I don't blame Kerry, they did what they did or were allowed to by a poor ref and by the rules of the game.

All in all though it was a bit of a farce.

He clearly knows it better than you - the advantage rule allows play to continue for an extra 5 seconds and the wide was within this time. There were 3 occasions where a Kerry player was fouled within scoring range and the ref indicated that he was playing the advantage but when the ball was soon turned over, he didn't call back play even though it seemed to be within 5 secs. If Aidan O'Shea got carnal knowledge of Maher then Cafferkey at least got to 3rd base with Donaghy. The ET free Donaghy earned was soft but there were 3 or 4 frees he should have gotten before that that weren't blown. Unfortunatrly in Gaa the likes of Donaghy and AOS usually need to be decapitated to earn a free. Mayo got some soft frees in the first half especially one after Enright was blatantly pushed to the ground. In fairness a couple of soft frees in ET will always be magnified in comparison to ones early on in the game. Both sides got away with blue murder in some of the tackling - Mayo's forwards and Kerry's middle eight in particular.

He clearly knows it better than you - the advantage rule allows play to continue for an extra 5 seconds and the wide was within this time. There were 3 occasions where a Kerry player was fouled within scoring range and the ref indicated that he was playing the advantage but when the ball was soon turned over, he didn't call back play even though it seemed to be within 5 secs. If Aidan O'Shea got carnal knowledge of Maher then Cafferkey at least got to 3rd base with Donaghy. The ET free Donaghy earned was soft but there were 3 or 4 frees he should have gotten before that that weren't blown. Unfortunatrly in Gaa the likes of Donaghy and AOS usually need to be decapitated to earn a free. Mayo got some soft frees in the first half especially one after Enright was blatantly pushed to the ground. In fairness a couple of soft frees in ET will always be magnified in comparison to ones early on in the game. Both sides got away with blue murder in some of the tackling - Mayo's forwards and Kerry's middle eight in particular.

Ok he might have got the advantage one right, I'll give him that. I was caught up in the moment when I made that post. I don't give him much else though. It's the inconsistancy I disliked. I'm not going to harp on about the ref, I am past it now. Like I said, he played a part and there were elements in Mayo's play that cost them. Mayo supporters have probably been saying the least about the ref, everyone else in the country says it and when Mayo supporters agree, the story is Mayo supporters whinging about the ref. Its just a fact the ref was poor and lets leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Disappointment easing and we did throw away a 5 point lead in a very silly way at the end of the first game.

However, i will remember Saturday's refereeing performance until the end of my days. His performance was so bad it should be investigated and he shouldnt even ref an under-12 game again.

As for the GAA not being corrupt? Trust me, it is the same as every other institution in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Ok he might have got the advantage one right, I'll give him that. I was caught up in the moment when I made that post. I don't give him much else though. It's the inconsistancy I disliked. I'm not going to harp on about the ref, I am past it now. Like I said, he played a part and there were elements in Mayo's play that cost them. Mayo supporters have probably been saying the least about the ref, everyone else in the country says it and when Mayo supporters agree, the story is Mayo supporters whinging about the ref. Its just a fact the ref was poor and lets leave it at that.

No worries. I've no problem admitting the ref was atrocious and mainly to Kerry's advantage, but it was more like 55:45 rather than the 90:10 you'd be led to believe. Its just that Kerry's soft frees were late on at a crucial period in the game compared to Mayos early on. The ref's interpretation of the advantage rule was a joke. His arms were going up and down like he was at a Nuremberg rally and then not giving frees when no advantage was accrued.
    Kerry have some serious questions to ask though
    How could they almost lose a game they completely dominated midfield in, including winning 18 kickouts in a row?
    How could two poor attempts at a point end up as goals?
    Other worries include poor ball retention when in the lead, poor shot selection, poor display from the half forward line, terrible long range shooting and backs turning over possession too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Referee was poor but thet's life. As was said, the same referee helped mayo win the quarter final.

Surely mayo will wonder why cafferkey was left on Donaghy, despite struggling from the first minute. There must be somebody better under a high ball.

Same story in 2013 and 2012 all Ireland finals as well, leaking goals under high balls

Referee was poor but thet's life. As was said, the same referee helped mayo win the quarter final.

Surely mayo will wonder why cafferkey was left on Donaghy, despite struggling from the first minute. There must be somebody better under a high ball.

Same story in 2013 and 2012 all Ireland finals as well, leaking goals under high balls

Mayo have their flaws of course. Still doesnt excuse an almost unbelievable set of decisions last Saturday. As someone said, these are amateurs who bust their asses. Least they can expect is basic competency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

I think there's a big difference between the two penalties given against Mayo - Both were 50/50 could have gone either way - and Enright failing to be sent off.

How a referee at that level could miss it is egregious..One of the easiest calls i've seen all summer and he fails to act..That really has Mayo fans riled up..But he should never have got the game anyway seeing as it was him who got Keegan red carded in the original game..It was Reilly that was undermined more than Coldrick in my opinion and placed him in an awkward position on Saturday.

But Mayo leaving Caff on Donaghy for the replay was also incredible so the criticsim of Reilly is somewhat tempered on my behalf by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jacool wrote: »
    Fantastic analysis by McStay - "the pictures don't lie".
    That ref was brutal, for both sides, but Kerry should have been playing with 14 players for most of the match alright.

50-50 final now.

Hmm, think it would have been fairer if they got Mark McHugh to do that analysis and more relevant too as he is somebody who has been out on championship pitches like that very recently. Certainly, when McStay started going on about "We are a resilient people" - didnt sound very balanced to me!

Hmm, think it would have been fairer if they got Mark McHugh to do that analysis and more relevant too as he is somebody who has been out on championship pitches like that very recently. Certainly, when McStay started going on about "We are a resilient people" - didnt sound very balanced to me!

Do you disagree with his comments though on the referee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Do you disagree with his comments though on the referee?

Nope, you cant disagree on the clips he took out of it (except for Mayo's first penalty where the foul was initially outside and should have been a free and a black card rather than a penalty). I am not convinced there was a whistle when he said he blew and then played an advantage but could be wrong on that.

But my point is another analyst might have taken different excerpts to McStay. Just thought it would be fairer to get a non-Mayo person to do it. And somebody who has played more recently. Because players are the ones who understand what are fouls better than anybody else. They are best placed to see what is a deliberate foul etc.

He pointed out the 2 hops from both teams. This is something that drives me mad. In almost every inter-county match, you see a player get away with this. Many refs miss it, drives me bananas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Poor referee cost Mayo in the replay. Kerry were gifted 2-02. That's 8 points. If that doesn't win a game for you then what does? Donaghy was a disgrace on the field. Hopefully Donegal will give him a bit of his own medicine. Mayo really should have finished the job first day out.

Nope, you cant disagree on the clips he took out of it (except for Mayo's first penalty where the foul was initially outside and should have been a free and a black card rather than a penalty). I am not convinced there was a whistle when he said he blew and then played an advantage but could be wrong on that.

But my point is another analyst might have taken different excerpts to McStay. Just thought it would be fairer to get a non-Mayo person to do it. And somebody who has played more recently. Because players are the ones who understand what are fouls better than anybody else. They are best placed to see what is a deliberate foul etc.

He pointed out the 2 hops from both teams. This is something that drives me mad. In almost every inter-county match, you see a player get away with this. Many refs miss it, drives me bananas!

The incidents shown that favoured Mayo were things like the double hop you mention and some fouls out the pitch. I actually think they were only shown to prevent McStay being labelled a whinger.
    The Kerry ones were all decisions that handed Kerry scores. I also think that the concession of a penalty is a more lenient decision than a black card sending off. Kerry were screwed if they went down to 14 men at that stage.

In short, his poor refereeing cost Mayo in my opinion a direct 2-2 and possibly even 2-4. His poor refereeing cost Kerry a couple of frees out the field.

His analysis was spot on in my opinion. Some of Reilly's decisions against Mayo were almost outlandish

Peist2007 wrote: »
    His analysis was spot on in my opinion. Some of Reilly's decisions against Mayo were almost outlandish

Indeed. Some were laughable frankly such as the one where Maher I think was awarded a free, throws or handpasses the ball to a team-mate and off they go again.

The two hops were actually Mayo men, but how a senior inter county ref can't spot these in this day and age is bizarre.

As for McStay he did point out a foot trip by a Mayo man that merited a black card and no-one would have a problem with this if the black card was applied consistanly.

And how Enright stayed on the field is equally bizarre.

Also the Barry John free where he steals about 20 yards. What starts off as a free at a difficult angle becomes a tap over straight on front of the posts.

Ditto the lineball for the first penalty.

As for the first penalty, I still fail to see where the foul was here. JOD puts his hand up to the face of a Mayo player, loses his balance in doing so, goes down in a heap and gets a penalty.

The referee's performance was really laughable, in fact the game became a bit of a circus in the end because of this and antics of Donaghy and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I do think that one mistake that Mayo made in the build up to the replay was making a big deal about the match being played in Limerick. It was an unnecessary distraction, what was the purpose of it? the venue could not be changed to croke park. Meanwhile Kerry simply said absolutely nothing all week.

+1
    in a nutshell.
    Gaelic Grounds is 137 x 82 metres
    Castlebar is 137 x 82 metres and where Mayo play all their home league games and do their training'

Croke Park and Killarney are almost identical at 144 x 84/86

So what pitch should suit who..?? I rest my case.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

washman3 wrote: »
    +1
    in a nutshell.
    Gaelic Grounds is 137 x 82 metres
    Castlebar is 137 x 82 metres and where Mayo play all their home league games and do their training'

Croke Park and Killarney are almost identical at 144 x 84/86

So what pitch should suit who..?? I rest my case.!!

Talk about scraping the barrel for excuses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I genuinely cannot understand how some people are saying that both Kerrys penalties were 50-50 or that the ref handed them to them. Yes, the first one was dodgy enough, but 9 times out of 10 it is given once an attacker is through on goal and gets a touch and goes down.

but the second one was as clear a stone wall penalty as anyone could ever see. Why some of the Mayo people are even debating this I cannot understand.

There were far bigger problems than the ref for ye, and the bad display by the ref is masking 2 performances where ye had the advantage, had the lead, and failed to put Kerry away.

The worst thing about that is that it was coming. Struggled to put away a meek enough Roscommon team, and very, very nearly let Cork do a Kerry on it and come back and snatch a result. In a commanding position, and just didnt put them away. And this came back to bite them in the a$$ then the last 2 days out.

Ye can whinge as much as you want about the ref, but the game was still there to be one in spite of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

I personally thought at least 1 if not both Kerry penalties were dubious and ultimately that's where the game was decided.

Take off those Red & Green tinted glasses! The slide tackle by cafferkey was a stonewall penalty. Slide tackle is a free regardless of whether you get the ball or not and regardless he cleaned out O'Donoghue.

Look O'Reilly had a poor game, I'm not denying that. His 2nd poor game this championship. Should be a yearly review of each referee's performance and demotion/promotion as a result.

To say that he cost Mayo the game is a bit off the mark though. Over the course of the 2 games Mayo had ample opportunity to put Kerry to the sword. McLaughlin had a golden chance to goal in E/T which would have ended Kerry's challenge and a 5 point lead was squandered the 1st day out. Contrast that to Donegal, who rode their luck for the 1st 20 mins against Dublin, went for the jugular when the opportunities arose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The ref was a shambles, but so are the rules. You can be sent off for an 'attempted kick'. Anytime a player lifts his leg this could be deemed an attempted kick. Game needs cleaning up.

Mayo were the better team, but Kerry hung in. How on earth Mayo had no plan for Donaghy is beyond me.

almostover wrote: »
    Take off those Red & Green tinted glasses! The slide tackle by cafferkey was a stonewall penalty.

Totally agree. I am surprised its a discussion point. Penalty right decision. Imagine what would happen in the goal mouth if tackles like that were allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

All this talk about Donaghys 'antics' is laughable! What antics? He was fouled nearly every time the ball came in and people are just directing their pig headed frustration at him instead of the mayo decision makers.

There is a way to play Donaghy and mayo didn't do it- leave him 1 on 1 with a slow enough big man and he'll cause wreck as he is quick over a short distance and good in the air and he destroyed the full back- hence all the fouls.

The way to play him is- play a sweeper and rather than foul him when he is going for the ball- let him win it in the air and wrap him up when he hits the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The way to play him is- play a sweeper and rather than foul him when he is going for the ball- let him win it in the air and wrap him up when he hits the ground.

Straight from the puke book of Mickey Harte, this alone is the reason so many people hate Northern teams, with their swarming and general negativity. I am a firm believer that crowding a man like this should be a free to him as he is being prevented from releasing the ball.

The ref was a shambles, but so are the rules. You can be sent off for an 'attempted kick'. Anytime a player lifts his leg this could be deemed an attempted kick. Game needs cleaning up.

Mayo were the better team, but Kerry hung in. How on earth Mayo had no plan for Donaghy is beyond me.

An attempted kick without even the faintest of connections being made is a sending off. A Kerry player meanwhile deliberately attacks AOS fists first in the stomach when he is not looking and not able to protect himself with the intention of causing as much harm as possible and don't say he didn't mean it and not so much as a yellow card. I agree the rules need cleaning up but where was the ref, the umpires, the linesmen for the AOS challenge. Like I said earlier one of the filthiest tackles I've ever seen but was fairly typical of the treatment meted out to Mayo players on the day. Kerry lost a lot of admirers with their win at all costs take his head off approach. A lot of what we saw on Satuday wasn't football and has no place on a football field.

All this talk about Donaghys 'antics' is laughable! What antics? He was fouled nearly every time the ball came in and people are just directing their pig headed frustration at him instead of the mayo decision makers.

There is a way to play Donaghy and mayo didn't do it- leave him 1 on 1 with a slow enough big man and he'll cause wreck as he is quick over a short distance and good in the air and he destroyed the full back- hence all the fouls.

We must have been watching a different game. Donaghy was fouling more than he was fouled.

We must have been watching a different game. Donaghy was fouling more than he was fouled.

I think it's fairly clear over the last couple of days that you were indeed watching a different game to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

An attempted kick without even the faintest of connections being made is a sending off. A Kerry player meanwhile deliberately attacks AOS fists first in the stomach when he is not looking and not able to protect himself with the intention of causing as much harm as possible and don't say he didn't mean it and not so much as a yellow card. I agree the rules need cleaning up but where was the ref, the umpires, the linesmen for the AOS challenge. Like I said earlier one of the filthiest tackles I've ever seen but was fairly typical of the treatment meted out to Mayo players on the day. Kerry lost a lot of admirers with their win at all costs take his head off approach. A lot of what we saw on Satuday wasn't football and has no place on a football field.

That is a very one sided analysis, there was plenty being dished out on both sides. I remember Walsh being thrown over the pitch side barrier at one stage. Donaghys shirt was being held the entire game. JOD got some very rough treatment in the first game as well. It was quite unsporting from both sides at times in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No worries. I've no problem admitting the ref was atrocious and mainly to Kerry's advantage, but it was more like 55:45 rather than the 90:10 you'd be led to believe. Its just that Kerry's soft frees were late on at a crucial period in the game compared to Mayos early on. The ref's interpretation of the advantage rule was a joke. His arms were going up and down like he was at a Nuremberg rally and then not giving frees when no advantage was accrued.
    Kerry have some serious questions to ask though
    How could they almost lose a game they completely dominated midfield in, including winning 18 kickouts in a row?
    How could two poor attempts at a point end up as goals?

Other worries include poor ball retention when in the lead, poor shot selection, poor display from the half forward line, terrible long range shooting and backs turning over possession too easily.

I think you answered your own question there. They gave away some awful goals, particularly the first and last, both of them at times when it looked like Kerry were going to put some real daylight between themselves and Mayo. Also some of the Kerry subs late on took some very poor shots at goal both in execution and decision making.

mickeyk wrote: »
    That is a very one sided analysis, there was plenty being dished out on both sides. I remember Walsh being thrown over the pitch side barrier at one stage. Donaghys shirt was being held the entire game. JOD got some very rough treatment in the first game as well. It was quite unsporting from both sides at times in fairness.

Donaghy had his hand in Cafferkeys face the entire game too. I suppose people have different perspectives on it. It was a dirty game I don't dispute it, but it needn't have been if the rules were applied.

I think it's fairly clear over the last couple of days that you were indeed watching a different game to everyone else.

I know the game you saw. A game where Kerry played good clean football in the good old Kerry way, the same game Pat Spillane watched.

I know the game you saw. A game where Kerry played good clean football in the good old Kerry way, the same game Pat Spillane watched.

Any opinion on Aidan O'Shea here out of interest?

AnxiousDisgustingBlackpanther.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

AnxiousDisgustingBlackpanther.gif[/QUOT

What did Aidan O'Shea do in that scuffle?

It's lazy analysis to suggest that "shure Mayo were ahead in both games, and should have won it, regardless of the ref's antics" - as if they were two separate elements. They were indeed ahead, and if the game was played fairly they probably would have won it. But it was because of the ref that the leads that Mayo has built up were unfairly nullified.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

AnxiousDisgustingBlackpanther.gif[/QUOT

I think it's fairly clear he, uh, "interferes" with Anthony Maher.

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Stinicker wrote: »
    Straight from the puke book of Mickey Harte, this alone is the reason so many people hate Northern teams, with their swarming and general negativity. I am a firm believer that crowding a man like this should be a free to him as he is being prevented from releasing the ball.

Yeah except he wasn't crowded around much in the '08 final, he just had a poor game and Justin McMahon a good one. Gormley was a sweeper which also helped. The ball kicked in was poor as well - not good diagonal ball. You're obsessed with Tyrone, nearly every post you make has a jibe against us. Kerry are fairly defensive this year themselves (nothing wrong with that).

Maher has him in a headlock and wouldn't let go. Maher should have been sent off or yellow carded for that. With zero protection from the ref mayo players forced to defend themselves. The game was a bit of a farce because of stuff like this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement