Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

aveytare wrote: »
    Yeah except he wasn't crowded around much in the '08 final, he just had a poor game and Justin McMahon a good one. Gormley was a sweeper which also helped. The ball kicked in was poor as well - not good diagonal ball. You're obsessed with Tyrone, nearly every post you make has a jibe against us. Kerry are fairly defensive this year themselves (nothing wrong with that).

Spot on, couldn't believe the lack of variety in our approach in '08, it was clear early on that Tyrone had the tactic sussed, but we persisted for the vast majority of the game, crazy stuff.

Kerry are relatively defensive, and rightly so I think. This is not the team of all talents of the mid 00s, so you cut your cloth to measure. If Kerry were foolish enough to play like Dublin against Donegal, it's more than 6 points we'd lose by, guaranteed. Fitzmaurice is way too smart for that though.
    No idea if Kerry will beat Donegal, but I'm 100% certain the players will bury themselves to try and win, and that management will devise a game plan that maximises their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

elguapo wrote: »
    Spot on, couldn't believe the lack of variety in our approach in '08, it was clear early on that Tyrone had the tactic sussed, but we persisted for the vast majority of the game, crazy stuff.

Kerry are relatively defensive, and rightly so I think. This is not the team of all talents of the mid 00s, so you cut your cloth to measure. If Kerry were foolish enough to play like Dublin against Donegal, it's more than 6 points we'd lose by, guaranteed. Fitzmaurice is way too smart for that though.
    No idea if Kerry will beat Donegal, but I'm 100% certain the players will bury themselves to try and win, and that management will devise a game plan that maximises their chances.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't say Kerry are overly defensive anyway, they've a good balance. I envy how you guys stay at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

realweirdo wrote: »
    Maher has him in a headlock and wouldn't let go. Maher should have been sent off or yellow carded for that. With zero protection from the ref mayo players forced to defend themselves. The game was a bit of a farce because of stuff like this.

I thought you'd say that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

keane2097 wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't know how to create a GIF showing the Enright tackle on O'Shea...lucky for you I don't! However, there's a big difference between what O'Shea did and what Enright did to O'Shea which was basically try to put him into the middle of next week, off the ball and unable to protect himself. Awful. But I suppose its all part of Kerry "skill".

A reminder of Mickey Ned's tackle. He had to retire after it I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Unfortunately I don't know how to create a GIF showing the Enright tackle on O'Shea...lucky for you I don't! However, there's a big difference between what O'Shea did and what Enright did to O'Shea which was basically try to put him into the middle of next week, off the ball and unable to protect himself. Awful. But I suppose its all part of Kerry "skill".

A reminder of Mickey Ned's tackle. He had to retire after it I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

You're gas. Mickey Ned played for Kerry for at least 3 years after that.
    Aidan O'Shea smacked James O'Donoghue with a forearm to the jaw with about 5 minutes left and got away with it, but that doesn't fit with your worldview I guess.

elguapo wrote: »
    You're gas. Mickey Ned played for Kerry for at least 3 years after that.
    Aidan O'Shea smacked James O'Donoghue with a forearm to the jaw with about 5 minutes left and got away with it, but that doesn't fit with your worldview I guess.

That was accidental :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Signing off from this thread, we have a final to look forward to so no more time for the juvenile stuff this has descended to.

Hopefully it won't spill over into every other thread, eternally optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As it gets closer you know it will. And as more and more people (like myself) rally around Donegal it'll get more and more crowded.

Here's hoping you're not stuck in with that Stinicker lad. God help ya. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Maher has him in a headlock and wouldn't let go. Maher should have been sent off or yellow carded for that. With zero protection from the ref mayo players forced to defend themselves. The game was a bit of a farce because of stuff like this.

true enough. Standard enough response to someone who has you in a partial headlock is to stick your thumb up their ar$e. legitimate defence I suppose. but hey, Kerry were the cynical and true aggressors and the poor Mayo lads were only doing what they could to defend themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The better team won, end of. Mayo should look at themselves and no one else, they are simply not good enough to win an All-Ireland. They have not got the bottle to win one. Same old Mayo

Warper wrote: »
    The better team won, end of. Mayo should look at themselves and no one else, they are simply not good enough to win an All-Ireland. They have not got the bottle to win one. Same old Mayo

What a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

keane2097 wrote: »
    If Maher is the No.8 there, why don't you mention his blatant stamp?
    Strangely, he stamped on one of his own side, and almost put his boot into another of his team mate's head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Warper wrote: »
    Same old tedious cliche.
    Kerry should have had a red card early on in the game, and only got 1 penalty. If they had still lost then you could question them.
    But they were a poorly executed free kick away from a date in September.
    Doesn't tally with what you're saying.

The only consolation is that they are not going to lose 3 in a row!

bruschi wrote: »
    true enough. Standard enough response to someone who has you in a partial headlock is to stick your thumb up their ar$e. legitimate defence I suppose. but hey, Kerry were the cynical and true aggressors and the poor Mayo lads were only doing what they could to defend themselves.

My point was it was provoked. At the end of the day it was harmless enough and Maher was asking for it. He could have punched him but that would have been sending off. Same as with Keegan, gets closed fist punch aimed at him and he reacts. It wasn't a thumb up the ar*e, it was a squeeze of his n*ts anyways, which is par for the course these days it seems.

jacool wrote: »
    If Maher is the No.8 there, why don't you mention his blatant stamp?
    Strangely, he stamped on one of his own side, and almost put his boot into another of his team mate's head!

And O'Shea was almost trying to protect the Kerry men on the ground from Maher's stamps. Bizarre game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

My point was it was provoked. At the end of the day it was harmless enough and Maher was asking for it. He could have punched him but that would have been sending off. Same as with Keegan, gets closed fist punch aimed at him and he reacts. It wasn't a thumb up the ar*e, it was a squeeze of his n*ts anyways, which is par for the course these days it seems.

hilarious. you think squeezing someones nuts is harmless, but a sliding tackle taking out a player isnt a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think that's me done with this thread now. I'll move to the AIF one now and cause ructions with my opinions. :)

bruschi wrote: »
    hilarious. you think squeezing someones nuts is harmless, but a sliding tackle taking out a player isnt a penalty.

We can go into all the challenges and clashes of the day if you want and in that context squeezing nuts, and it wasn't even a squeeze but an attempt was harmless. Suffice it to say Maher let go of the headlock fast so job done. It was the type of game where basically anything seemed to be allowed. As one UK Twitter said when watching the Saturday game, Gaelic football seems to be a cross between soccer, rugby and cage fighting. Couldn't have put it better myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

is this thread still alive? ye have to move on lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Stinicker wrote: »
    Straight from the puke book of Mickey Harte, this alone is the reason so many people hate Northern teams, with their swarming and general negativity. I am a firm believer that crowding a man like this should be a free to him as he is being prevented from releasing the ball.
    Hows that therapy coming on-there are plenty of goodreasons to dislike northern ireland teams but using perfectively legitimate means to negate your opponents attack isnt one of them.

TBH this type of comment is typical of the reactionary small minded opinions that exist within parts of the gaa world. is there any other sports where tactical innovation causes people to cry like spoilt children?

Its fair enough not to like more defensive gameplans but whinging like Sppillane and Ciaran Whelan and countless others about the poor childeren is pathetic.

• Advertisement

An attempted kick without even the faintest of connections being made is a sending off. A Kerry player meanwhile deliberately attacks AOS fists first in the stomach when he is not looking and not able to protect himself with the intention of causing as much harm as possible and don't say he didn't mean it and not so much as a yellow card. I agree the rules need cleaning up but where was the ref, the umpires, the linesmen for the AOS challenge. Like I said earlier one of the filthiest tackles I've ever seen but was fairly typical of the treatment meted out to Mayo players on the day. Kerry lost a lot of admirers with their win at all costs take his head off approach. A lot of what we saw on Satuday wasn't football and has no place on a football field.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Mayo have been the most "dirty" , for want of a better word, team in the country for 3 years now, and theyre no strangers to dihin out low blows when the ball is gone so you really need to dry your eyes.

Now imho the ref gave Kerry 1-4 in frees and a penalty that should never have been given-some of the frees Donaghy got were a joke. And he bottled sending off Enright, twice. So along with Moran, Donaghy and JOD he was a massive factor in Mayos defeat.

But as for whingin over the physical stuff, not havin any of that from Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

And we are done here - time to move on folks - thread has run its course.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    And we are done here - time to move on folks - thread has run its course.
    Has a thread not run its course when people stop contributing or when it degenreates into name calling/libel?- cos if you closed every thread that had become repetitive and boring Boards.ie would be a quiet place. Im not particularly bothered bout Mayo/Kerry thread myself, I just dont understand your reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

harpsman wrote: »
    Has a thread not run its course when people stop contributing or when it degenreates into name calling/libel?- cos if you closed every thread that had become repetitive and boring Boards.ie would be a quiet place. Im not particularly bothered bout Mayo/Kerry thread myself, I just dont understand your reasoning.

How did you do that?? spooky - I thought I had locked this!! :o

I closed it because its fairly obvious to me that the thread has run its course. Nothing new is being added to it - the game was Saturday and the thread has died a death. Have a look at the last 10 or 15 posts and tell me if its likely that we will have a new insightful look at the match.

Most threads die a natural death and fall to the second page but some like this we have to ethuanise.

As my four year old keeps singing to me "LET IT GO".

Locked - for sure this time!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement