Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The GAA's disciplinary system has been a joke for a long time now (remember the Battle of Omagh?). This decision merely reinforces that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Xenophile wrote: »
    Get on to M7 Motorway as soon as you can and it will bring you under Shannon Tunnel and very close to the ground.

How would you propose to do that from Mayo?

Best to cut off at Tuam or Loughgeorge for Athenry and head for Loughrea to Gort, then onto the motorway. Poor road but you'll be moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Not according to the rules.

"Kicking or attempting to kick with minimal force".

It certainly fell under that description.

I would think the stink created over the venue has been a smokescreen for Keegan's red card and this is the GAA throwing them a bone.

But the rules also have an appeals procedure whereby red cards can and will be recinded .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CCC are a complete farce and have as yet to make a correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

FatRat wrote: »
    Laughable. We should all play the game based on "common sense" and throw the rulebook out the window altogether. That would definitely make for a balanced game since everyone's interpretation of "common sense" is the same as yours.

If he could attempt to kick someone in the previous game, then maybe he might follow through in this game and do some damage to a Kerry player. Afterall he seems to have made his intent to do so very clear already. :)

If every game was played strictly according to the rules, then every time a player mistimes a tackle, goes in with the hand to try and dispossess an opponent but misses, gets a shoulder-to-shoulder even a fraction off would be sent off for striking or attempted striking. There would be no-one left to finish the game with. The GAA games that are most enjoyable are the ones where referees facilitate the flow by letting little things go, playing advantage where at all possible and keeping the tempo up. Usually, they are also easiest to referee because players aren't getting frustrated with stop-start play and don't be bothered with getting involved with petty skirmishes with direct opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

feargale wrote: »
    Letter in Irish Times today : " Claregalway should be fun around lunchtime next Saturday." I imagine alot of people will have the same idea i.e. avoid Claregalway and come into Galway from the Headford side. I wonder if that might create its own problems? Would Tuam - Athenry - Loughrea - Gort be easier for some? Very bad roads, admittedly, especially Loughrea - Gort. Also, the train from Galway to Limerick will leave you about 45 minutes' brisk walk from the grounds.

No, no, no, it's going to be ok. The lad from An Taisce says the road is more than adequate to handle the traffic.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-550m-motorway-project-for-connacht-30533755.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I am disappointed that at such a high profile appeal the GAA didn't back the ref. It's going to be in the refs minds for the rest of the year that they will be hung out to dry for issuing a red card.

There is no such thing as "common sense" prevailing, or "the spirit of the law". There is the law.

The ref sent a player off, in accordance with the rules. The time for common sense was in the refs hands to apply the rule. When it was applied then the GAA should back the ref 110%.

Upholding this terrible appeal only encourages other counties to appeal over and over. The system is flawed. Cork have been abusing it for years in particular.

Both sanctions carry the same offence. It's like saying I'll plead guilty to A to get off B. That's not in accordance with "the spirit of the law" either is it. If you are accepting that you commited an offence that carries the same offence I have no idea why you should not be sanctioned in accordance with that offence.

The sending off was harsh. But once applied it should not, unless utterly out of order be lifted.

I am very very afraid for inter county referees if this is the way they are undermined. The GAA are hypocritical to be pushing a respect for referees campaign when they won't even support them in the basic function of their job.

This is bad for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I am disappointed that at such a high profile appeal the GAA didn't back the ref. It's going to be in the refs minds for the rest of the year that they will be hung out to dry for issuing a red card.

There is no such thing as "common sense" prevailing, or "the spirit of the law". There is the law.

The ref sent a player off, in accordance with the rules. The time for common sense was in the refs hands to apply the rule. When it was applied then the GAA should back the ref 110%.

Upholding this terrible appeal only encourages other counties to appeal over and over. The system is flawed. Cork have been abusing it for years in particular.

Both sanctions carry the same offence. It's like saying I'll plead guilty to A to get off B. That's not in accordance with "the spirit of the law" either is it. If you are accepting that you commited an offence that carries the same offence I have no idea why you should not be sanctioned in accordance with that offence.

The sending off was harsh. But once applied it should not, unless utterly out of order be lifted.

I am very very afraid for inter county referees if this is the way they are undermined. The GAA are hypocritical to be pushing a respect for referees campaign when they won't even support them in the basic function of their job.

This is bad for everyone.

That a good point, the ref has been hung out to dry here, and all he did was apply the rule correctly and in good faith.

Surely there should be some mechanism in the way that a ref report is submitted to remove the ability to make an appeal on the grounds that Mayo have just done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blackjack wrote: »
    Ah now that's just full on tin foil hat stuff to be coming out with.

Really? I doubt many people who have first hand experience with GAA procedure etc would bat an eyelid at the suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

It will be interesting though if Kerry get a man sent off tomorrow and manage to win, you would nearly think he would have to be made available for the final no matter what he has done. That's the problem with this type of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Mayo genuinely deserved to win the last game, its the Mayo curse!

If the Kerry team lines out as selected do people think Mayo will go with extra men in the full back line like in the first half last time again or will they push their halfback line up like the second half?

keane2097 wrote: »
    If the Kerry team lines out as selected do people think Mayo will go with extra men in the full back line like in the first half last time again or will they push their halfback line up like the second half?

I think the latter

That is the way they have played for the last few season and it showed last week that it was more effective.

That's why I think this replay is something Mayo could have done with.
    It showed them what the Kerry defense was like under such a forward pressing game.
    Mind you Kerry also found out the vulnerabilities of the Mayo full back line when balls were pumped in.

But Mayo need to put pressure on the Kerry kick-out early and often, to win midfield and put that early pressure on the Kerry backs.
    And that will be the tone for the game.

I have never been convinced that this Kerry team are ready to be real contenders this year, they are still a year or two away because of their mix of old and inexperienced guys.

I'd expect Mayo to win comfortably, 4 to 5 pts in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I think Mayos overarching concern much like the last day will be to stop an early Kerry goal(s). I'd be very surprised if they don't try and shore up the back line early on and rely on their greater mobility later on. The only problem I see for them there is allowing M Geaney a lot of space, as I thought he'd a great ball carrying game last time out, coupled with the fact that I'm assuming that Donnacadh will have a far more influential game this time around too

By the way I cannot see Kerry line out much different even if SOB is not playing.
    As someone suggested Donaghey has only played a few mins of football this year, he may not be ready to start.

That brings up another question about just Howe 'strong' this Kerry bench actually is

If SOB is not playing then he may be replaced by BJK (a guy who has failed to make a real impact over a good few seasons now) Donaughy (see above), and Declan O' Suyllivan who will free the effects of the 60 or so mins he played on Sunday.
    The only other replacement might be Keiran o' Leary, who like BJK has been in and out for a few years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

By the way I cannot see Kerry line out much different even if SOB is not playing.
    As someone suggested Donaghey has only played a few mins of football this year, he may not be ready to start.

That brings up another question about just Howe 'strong' this Kerry bench actually is

If SOB is not playing then he may be replaced by BJK (a guy who has failed to make a real impact over a good few seasons now) Donaughy (see above), and Declan O' Suyllivan who will free the effects of the 60 or so mins he played on Sunday.
    The only other replacement might be Keiran o' Leary, who like BJK has been in and out for a few years now

Donaghy alternating with Declan or Keane would potentially be very effective IMO.
    Darran O'Sullivan is also fit don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Horans rigidity means the plan will be the same as game 1. He probably thinks that Mayo can not maintain their high pressing game for the 75-80 minute duration of a championship game. With that in mind he will try to contain Kerry in the first half and impose the Mayo game on Kerry in the second half.That plan would have worked with 15 men in game 1 and it may work in the replay but if Mayo give Kerry a 5 point lead tomorrow they will lose as Kerry now know where the soft underbelly is. Horans lack of flexibity and his unwillingness to change may be his biggest flaw but it may yet prove to also be his greatest asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I see Mayo showing Kerry less respect this time round, that should allow both sets of players more space and hopefully a better first half.

At this stage head games has entered the equation, I think the team with the correct mentality will win.

The pitch is much tighter so no need to flood defence. If they have any sense they'll press up and keep Kerry on the back foot besides inviting them on. They killed Kerry the last day when they did this and are leaving themselves less exposed at the back than they would have been last Sunday.

Stoner wrote: »
    I see Mayo showing Kerry less respect this time round, that should allow both sets of players more space and hopefully a better first half.

At this stage head games has entered the equation, I think the team with the correct mentality will win.

What was wrong with the first half? There was great passing and movement all through it. Don't know what people expect but its doubtful we'll see another half of football as good as the last day again this season. A rerun of the first half in terms of quality for 70mins would do for me.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    The pitch is much tighter so no need to flood defence. If they have any sense they'll press up and keep Kerry on the back foot besides inviting them on. They killed Kerry the last day when they did this and are leaving themselves less exposed at the back than they would have been last Sunday.

You could probably apply the same logic to Kerry's second half performance as Mayo's first tbf.

Playing the extra man in defence without using him on kickouts drew Mayo out and left the inside line isolated. I don't think Fitzmaurice will make that mistake a second time, not as sure about Horan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What was wrong with the first half? There was great passing and movement all through it. Don't know what people expect but its doubtful we'll see another half of football as good as the last day again this season. A rerun of the first half in terms of quality for 70mins would do for me.

well if i was from Kerry I'd agree, but at half time it was looking like a done deal, Kerry were way out and it didn't look like a contest.

the second half had two great fight backs and was super, the first half was one sided and Mayo didn't play to their strengths, in the second half both sides did.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

well if i was from Kerry I'd agree, but at half time it was looking like a done deal, Kerry were way out and it didn't look like a contest.

the second half had two great fight backs and was super, the first half was one sided and Mayo didn't play to their strengths, in the second half both sides did.

We played to Kerrys strenght and negated our own game. If we do it again it will be a repeat. Hoping Horan has learned from that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is this on the telly.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times already.

Lapin wrote: »
    Is this on the telly.

It has and it is ;) RTE 2 has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Lapin wrote: »
    Is this on the telly.

It is Lapin, its televised live on RTE and on SKY sports 4 & HD. It will also be on the new GAAGO service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Looking for a ticket for face value if anyone has a spare please pm me thanks

Hi IrishSkyBoxer,

We have a ticket swap forum over on our website with a few offers of tickets. If they are already taken you can leave a request there for one.

<snip>

You can also leave a message on our facebook page.

Mod: Just snipped the url, anyone wishing to contact may do so by PM. Thanks

From the tickets.ie website
    *** TICKETS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ONLINE. TICKETS CAN BE PURCHASED IN PARTICIPATING CENTRA AND SUPERVALU STORES NATIONWIDE ***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looking forward to this.
    Heart says Mayo, head says Kerry.
    I can see Donaghy starting and having a great game on the square. He made the difference in the drawn game.
    Hope the referee doesn't ruin this one but then I see it's Cormac Reilly ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Are we looking at a sell-out?

Couldn't agree, I thought a lot of Mayos foot passing was sublime. The only thing that killed the rhythm of the first half were the missed opportunities and they were mostly Mayos. Intensity always increases in the second half if things get tight.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Are we looking at a sell-out?

Its hard to know, there are a good few spare tickets about but there are also a lot of people looking for tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Definitely the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The best service RTE radio sport could render tomorrow is a half hourly traffic update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Really looking forward to this tomorrow, so much more than Sundays game, that will be a borefest, at least this will have the more open play and more skill based game. Easier on d'eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I agree with you about those 2 players. They have not looked like world beaters the last few years. But both of them made hugely significant impacts last week. BJK won a couple of vital kick outs and O'Leary showed a lot of composure to point that equaliser - that was not an easy point. I think there are worse players you could be bringing on.

I do fancy Mayo to win this one. They need to curb Moran's influence in midfield though. I'd be shocked to see Gibbons start tomorrow. For me, replacing him at HT was one of the key changes that changed the flow of the game as Moran was not as prominent in 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Lads, have looked at the Mayo Club51 advice re: getting to the stadium. They mention not to park in estates such as Caherdavin. I've been told by a Limerick neighbour that Caherdavin and the Green Hills Hotel would both be okay. What do ye think? Would I be as well off just going to Thomond Park or LIT? Trying to stay out of the city at all costs considering UL Grads are on as well as Gay Pride.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Lads, have looked at the Mayo Club51 advice re: getting to the stadium. They mention not to park in estates such as Caherdavin. I've been told by a Limerick neighbour that Caherdavin and the Green Hills Hotel would both be okay. What do ye think? Would I be as well off just going to Thomond Park or LIT? Trying to stay out of the city at all costs considering UL Grads are on as well as Gay Pride.

FYI WallyGUFC please read post 131

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

seligehgit wrote: »
    FYI WallyGUFC please read post 131
    Good stuff. Should be okay in Caherdavin so once I don't park like a clown. Should be some occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Will the Dunnes car park on Henry Street be a disaster to try get to tomo at 230/3 with this parade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looking forward to this.
    Heart says Mayo, head says Kerry.
    I can see Donaghy starting and having a great game on the square. He made the difference in the drawn game.
    Hope the referee doesn't ruin this one but then I see it's Cormac Reilly ????

The more the week has gone on the head is weighing it up and still says Mayo. They ran out of puff in the 2nd half but some of the misses in the first were criminal. aS we saw they improved greatly. They're gonna show up tomorrow.
    Couldn't agree, I thought a lot of Mayos foot passing was sublime. The only thing that killed the rhythm of the first half were the missed opportunities and they were mostly Mayos. Intensity always increases in the second half if things get tight.

Yes. :)

---

I want a relatively boring game that;s practically over by the 50th minute. Thanks. I was like a bull after last week.

Now all I have to do is find a daycent boozer for it.

McGrath's I wonder is it any decent for Football on a non-Croker match day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I can't be there today (flights expensive) but will be watching on gaago. Small story to remind us all (Mayo/Kerry/neutrals) of how everyone can already be proud.
    Last week I watched this match in the company of 13 Polish friends of varying levels of interest in GAA or even sport. In their email invite they had the basic history/youtube of the rules etc. Some had attended a couple of training sessions over last few years, one had been at the hurling in Croke Park n Munster few years ago.
    I can tell you in the second half they were gripped n genuinely thought it was the fastest most interesting sport they'd seen. They were amazed by the fans mixing, the fitness n mobility of big guys weighing 90 kg+, bravery n dedication of amateur players and especially the accuracy of kicking from David Moran first half.
    All week queries were 'What's story with red card?'' 'Are you going to the replay?'.
    Today I would advise all who read this to think:
    1. Safe driving - it's a game calm down ye'll all get there
    2. What a unique occasion not to be repeated. Soak in the new experience you might never see Gaelic Grounds again.
    3. Think how far the game and news of this particular game has expanded from a Hotel in Thurles in 19th century.
    4. We're the only large scale attended by the masses, amateur sport left on the planet that I know of.
    5. Look around at 45000 people from two teams from all social backgrounds, some people having flown home especially for it.
    Enjoy the game. After writing that will still be in good spirits if Mayo lose.
    Up the GAA fair play to us all!!!

Great post dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any weather reports from limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

SM746 wrote: »
    Will the Dunnes car park on Henry Street be a disaster to try get to tomo at 230/3 with this parade?

I'm wondering this as well. Coming down from Dublin and was looking at this for parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I have two stand tickets to sell, premium spot 8 rows up in section 218, face value but would prefer to sell to a Kerry person/fan and a regular on here. Thanks.

Hands up who else has jangling nerves? :)

Hands up who else has jangling nerves? :)

Nerves are shot,par for the course as a Mayo supporter.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Safe journeys to one and all!!!:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement