Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did your baby get out of each clothing size?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Our fella was small when he was born and he took a while to put on a bit of weight but since we started feeding him solids, he has been growing like a weed (specially his legs!) I'm sick of buying pants and babygros only to find them too short within a few weeks :( Here's how long he lasted in each size:

Newborn: 6 weeks

0-3 mths: he was in these from newborn (when they swamped him) until he was 4 and a half months

3-6 mths: he grew out of these at 5 months. I was gutted because I assumed they would last as long as the 0-3 mth stuff so I bought LOADS :o

6-9 mths: he has been in these since 5 mths and now, at 6 and a half months old, the pants are already getting too short :eek:

I've bought some 9-12 mth stuff but they're still huge on him at the moment and I'm afraid to go overboard buying loads if he's going to sprout out of them so quickly. I know that different brands fit differently but honestly, I bought some 6-9 mth babygros in m&s 3 weeks ago and they were waaay too long at the start, now they are a snug fit on him. Aaargh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Our fella was small when he was born and he took a while to put on a bit of weight but since we started feeding him solids, he has been growing like a weed (specially his legs!) I'm sick of buying pants and babygros only to find them too short within a few weeks :( Here's how long he lasted in each size:

Newborn: 6 weeks

0-3 mths: he was in these from newborn (when they swamped him) until he was 4 and a half months

3-6 mths: he grew out of these at 5 months. I was gutted because I assumed they would last as long as the 0-3 mth stuff so I bought LOADS :o

6-9 mths: he has been in these since 5 mths and now, at 6 and a half months old, the pants are already getting too short :eek:

I've bought some 9-12 mth stuff but they're still huge on him at the moment and I'm afraid to go overboard buying loads if he's going to sprout out of them so quickly. I know that different brands fit differently but honestly, I bought some 6-9 mth babygros in m&s 3 weeks ago and they were waaay too long at the start, now they are a snug fit on him. Aaargh!

I think at the start they do grow out of their clothes very quick but it does slow down, I think I got a good while out of 9-12 months and the same for 12-18 months and my little fella is tall for his age (he is 14 months)
    I remember his 6-9 month clothes didn't last any time at all and I didn't even get a chance to use some of them! They'll do for the next :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Both kids are very different. My oldest grew out of everything from 0-2yrs so quickly, never spent longer than a few wks in a size for the 1st year, and the 2nd year was barely a couple of months in each size. He was always wearing sizes much bigger than this age. Thankfully after 2yrs his growth finally slowed.

My 2nd, grew out of 0-3 & 3-6mths very quickly but he slowed after that. He's 22mths now and wearing some 9-12mths, but mostly 12-18mths and they're still big on him (especially trousers) so i'd say he'll move to 18-24mths when he's 2yrs+.

With my 2nd I feel all the clothes are getting worn through which is great, it's very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My little fella grew out of 0-3 at about 9 weeks, then 3-6 lasted until he was 5 months, 6-9 lasted until 7 months, got no time what so ever out of 9-12, i actually didn't bother buying anything other than a few pairs of track bottoms 9-12. By Xmas at 9 months he was in 12-18, i noticed that Dunnes lined jeans fitted him best a little long even tho he has long legs the waist fit him. He's quite skinny so even now at 17 months the 12-18 waist on some jeans and track bottoms are too big, but the leg is too short! He's in 18-24 tops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It depends on the brand. Pennys/Dunnes clothing always seemed terribly small. My older child (2+) now gets months out of dresses and babygros for bedtime. I bought a smaller range of babygros as the sizes increased, and they lasted longer. I always found Marks and Spencers ones seemed to have the best growing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our little lad goes through clothes very fast aswell. He's 8 months now but he's 80cm and he's in 12-18 mnth clothes. The dryer can shrink clothes aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I think it depends on the child.
    Seb was in 0-3 until about 4 months, close to 5. Then he was only in 3-6 month clothes for about 7 weeks! (i had tons of them as well!)
    He lasted in 6-9 month clothes until about 10 months
    and 9-12 until about 14 months.
    He is 20 months now and we just moved him to 18-24 month clothes.
    The waists are always too big and the main reason we have to move him on is because his legs are way too long for the pants!

his shoes are another story....he grew two shoe sizes in a month! I was shocked when the lady in clarks told me he was a 6.5....his biggest shoe was a 5.5 and I had gotten those for winter when i thought he would be in that size! :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

i have 4...

#1 7lb 4 and 56cm born,she was out of 0-3 month clothes quickly and went in to 6-9 month clothes at 5 months and stayed there until 10 months. She is now 5 and wears 6/7 or 7/8 clothes and takes a 12 1/2 in shoes.
    #2 7lb 8 and 48cm born,she is 3 1/2 and wears 2-3 clothes and is tiny!!
    #3 8lb 4 and 51m born but was 61cm at his 6 week check up. He wore 3-6 month clothes at our wedding when he was 4 weeks old. He always seems about 6 months ahead with clothes so went in to 18-24 month clothes at about 12 months and now at 19 months wears 18/24 and 2-3. Loads of his baby clothes went unworn because he just kept growing!

Those 3 are January babies with a 2 year gap and there is very little difference between the height of #2 and #3 where as #1 towers over them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

He was seven pounds three ounces when born, and has been consistently in the 25th percentile for weight, and yet has always worn the size range for above his age. He's just very very long! He's seven months old now and wearing 9-12 month clothes mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

She was 3.56kg (which I think is 7lbs 8oz) and 51cm when born. Most of her clothes are from Dunne's, H&M or Next and for the first year she pretty much fitted the sizes for her age and has pretty much stayed like that until now (2 yrs 8 mths). She still wears some of last years H&M and Next stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Varies hugely between children. My 5 month old is busting out of the 9-12 month stuff at the moment. She is nearly a kilo heavier, and 2cm taller than my friends 13 month old, who is swimming in the same size clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks for all the replies jaysus they really prove that every baby is different and there's just no point buying a load of one size in advance! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Are people getting long out of the 6-9 month clothes? L is 5 months now or 6 months if you go by weeks (24weeks)... Shes quite long but not big. I've just ordered a load of 9-12 month clothes and skipped the 6-9month. Perhaps I should've gotten the 6-9. Is there a huge difference? I spose I can always return them if they're much too big... I just thought they'd last longer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fella is 6 and a half months, he's not very big but his legs are very long too and I had to put him in 6-9 mth pants at 5 months (even though they were way too loose at the waist). Now, he has already grown out of 80% of his 6-9 month pants and all of his babygros are a snug fit. :( The 9-12 mth stuff is still too long (there's definitely a big difference from the 6-9 mth lengthwise) but I reckon he'll go into them in the next few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

My fella is 6 and a half months, he's not very big but his legs are very long too and I had to put him in 6-9 mth pants at 5 months (even though they were way too loose at the waist). Now, he has already grown out of 80% of his 6-9 month pants and all of his babygros are a snug fit. :( The 9-12 mth stuff is still too long (there's definitely a big difference from the 6-9 mth lengthwise) but I reckon he'll go into them in the next few weeks :)

My 22mth old is wearing some 9-12mth trousers still, the same ones he started wearing last Summer when he was 9mths. He also wears some 12-18mth trousers but i have to turn them over at the waistband (the tracksuit pants) or turn up the legs. He's not short but his legs obviously are, he must have a long back. They are all so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

We have a magical zip up cardi from Jasper Conran (Debenhams) that he got as a newborn. It's aged 3-6 months. He was wearing it at 2 months and it still fits him at 10 months. It has never seemed to big or too small! And most of his other clothes are 18-23 months but some 12-18 months.

Best brands for longevity in my experience are Next, Debenhams brands and Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

they do half their growing in height between 0-2 years, i have a 3foot 2 year old so I guess we shouldn't expect them to
    get too long out of their clothes, it's length I have the problem with and if I buy a size up then the clothes look way too baggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

our eldest was 11lb (5kg) and 65cm long when he was born, so he didn't even get a look at all the (far too much) newborn stuff we'd bought for him and I had to go out and get 0-3m stuff before we left the hospital and he was out of those in two weeks. he was in 2-3yr old stuff by the time he hit his first birthday and he was 3 a couple of weeks ago and most of his clothes are a mixture of 5-6yr and 6-7yr clothes with size 11 shoes, depending on whether it's the likes of Next or smaller dunnes/penneys stuff.

there's not a pick on him though, he's just very long, I'm 6'5" and he's already past my waist, so he's going to be a very big lad and hislittle sister isn't 9 months yet and she's already more than half his height, so she's going to be a monster as well.

if he gets any bigger, we're going to have to start keeping him outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's their height/length which makes the difference for us rather than the weight.

Youngest baby is much taller than her sister at this age. She's at the 95th percentile for height and weight, older sister is just under the 50th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Got a load of stuff I ordered online from next delivered today. The stuff is fab but wow the 9-12mth seems really big! It will be ages before L fits into it. Think I'll hang on to it tho as she'll grow into it.

As for the boys stuff... does anyone find the 2-3 yo stuff from Next really big? My guy is 22 months and hed be a sturdy and tall boy (currently wears 18mth-2yr), but all the stuff i ordered that was 2-3yrs seems huge! i dont really want to go buying him more 18mth-2y as he'll be 2 soon. hes still in the 99percentile for height and weight.... so im surprised the 2-3yo clothes are too big for him....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Our lad is two months but in the 3-6 with most brands! I find Next really good for sizes and quality and surprisingly Tesco's clothing range are also really decent with sizes and the material is nice and stretchy on the bodysuits. Pennys aren't bad either and M&S are also very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Got a load of stuff I ordered online from next delivered today. The stuff is fab but wow the 9-12mth seems really big! It will be ages before L fits into it. Think I'll hang on to it tho as she'll grow into it.

As for the boys stuff... does anyone find the 2-3 yo stuff from Next really big? My guy is 22 months and hed be a sturdy and tall boy (currently wears 18mth-2yr), but all the stuff i ordered that was 2-3yrs seems huge! i dont really want to go buying him more 18mth-2y as he'll be 2 soon. hes still in the 99percentile for height and weight.... so im surprised the 2-3yo clothes are too big for him....

I have given up on sizes. I picked up a pair of light combats in m & s in a size 9-12 and they are way way way too big for him :confused: but he is almost out of their 9-12 babygrows? He also had 12-18 months debenhams dungarees on him the other day and they fit perfectly. Also since we are having leaking nappy woes I bought 2 cheap dunnes sleeping bags €5 in sale 18-23 months and they are pretty much the same as his gro company ones but a little longer but neck opening the same. I have only ever had the gro company ones and I gave to say the dunnes ones are fab for €5 and defo 2.5 tog. I wouldn't pay €14 for them as I would go to tk maxx or amazon etc and get gro company ones for €24 and they would last longer as the sizes are 6-18 and 18-36 months dunnes are 6-12, 12-18 and 18-23 months.

To get back to the original question, I would say it depends on the brand! We buy ours in m & s, next and littlewoods as I find them the most generous. I got his vests in tesco in the sale and a few babygrows and they are great. Penneys are too small except I got 2 Disney Mickey Mouse babygrows and they are the same size as m & s. I have ordered older sizes clothes from boden and omg they are fab :) defo ordering from them again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Here's a good one, I have just potty trained my youngest boy, he'll be 3 in October.. I put a lovely pair of knee length shorts on him a few weeks ago, denim with a 'winnie the pooh' logo on the leg... I couldn't remember where or when i bought them so when i took them off him that night i had a look at the label.. 0-3 month ... :eek::pac: and My 4 year old dressed himself one morning too and had on a 6-9 month pair of denims that came to his knees too.. fitted him lovely on the waist !! I wonder is it time to clear out the small stuff or feed my kids more :D (they eat like baby elephants as it is)

Advertisement