Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland and writing off late arrears

Options
  • 25-08-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

I have power of attorney over my 74-year-old father, who has recently come into health difficulties that have rendered him more or less incapable of governing his own affairs.

Unfortunately, he has run up late arrears with Electric Ireland to the amount of some thousands. I have arranged a payment plan, which will run until early 2016, but because he now has to pay off time spent at a private nursing home (the monthly fee is roughly €3,000, though he pays about half every month), on top of the state-subsidised cost of living there (he recently got funding), we're talking huge monthly outgoings.

Although I should be able to come to a further payment deal with the nursing home, there will come a point where I will need to prioritise who gets money. How likely is that I could negotiate the writing off of my father's debt to Electric Ireland, considering his health and his nursing home fees? Personally, I don't think they'd stand much of a chance in court those factors in mind, but I'd rather not see it get to that stage.

Unfortunately, I'm in no position to help pay off the debt myself, as I'm 23 and on an entry-level salary.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you tried the Talk to...Electric Ireland forum on Boards? They are usually very easy to deal with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You won't know unless you try,
    Remember that at the end of the day they are entitled to be paid for services provided, they very well may agree to come to a more suitable arrangement for re-payments (smaller amounts each month).

but again, you won't know unless you try

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please don't tell posters to post in another forum, as that can lead to duplicate threads and clean up for mods. Instead please use the Report Post function to get the thread moved.

Moving this to Talk to Electric Ireland to see if the reps there can help.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi IcarusPlus,

Sorry to read of your father's ill health. Do please private message the Electric Ireland account number and his name, address, telephone number and your own name, and we will look into your query.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement