Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BN107

• 25-08-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I got accepted into BN107 Applied social studies in social care starting in September. :) looking forward to starting but I'm just wondering does anyone know what the hours are like? :) Just eager to know :) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hi, well done on getting into the course. It's a great course so far so hopefully you enjoy it.

Hours are about 26-30 hours a week.

We had Friday's off in Semester 1 which seemed to be a recurring trend but it meant that Monday-Thursday are pretty busy.

Semester 2 we were in every day but the gaps between classes were insane. Early on it's a bit of a pain because you've literally nothing to do but you'll be given enough work to get most of it done during those gaps.

Anything else you wanna know feel free to shoot me a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hi, well done on getting into the course. It's a great course so far so hopefully you enjoy it.

Hours are about 26-30 hours a week.

We had Friday's off in Semester 1 which seemed to be a recurring trend but it meant that Monday-Thursday are pretty busy.

Semester 2 we were in every day but the gaps between classes were insane. Early on it's a bit of a pain because you've literally nothing to do but you'll be given enough work to get most of it done during those gaps.

Anything else you wanna know feel free to shoot me a message.

Yeah I've heard that gaps between classes are a bit much at times! But sure once we have work to do I'm sure I'll be kept busy. whats the work load like? and the lecturers?

Yeah I've heard that gaps between classes are a bit much at times! But sure once we have work to do I'm sure I'll be kept busy. whats the work load like? and the lecturers?

Semester 1 was pretty ok work wise actually. CA's were quite handy and really eased you into using references etc.

Semester 2 was a lot of group work. I got lucky in that my group were really easy to work with but some groups didn't gel at all. It's at the lecturers discretion as to whether or not you can pick your own group or not.

Found the work load to be a bit more in 2nd semester anyway and that's mainly because you're sharing the load with one or two others.

Lecturers are grand for the most part. There's a lot of content in some of the lectures and one or two tend to fly through the stuff but tutorials are a great way to ask questions and things are explained more clearly in a smaller group.

Just don't be afraid to ask questions at any time. Many people around me struggled big time, didn't ask questions and felt lost with various things.

Semester 1 was pretty ok work wise actually. CA's were quite handy and really eased you into using references etc.

Semester 2 was a lot of group work. I got lucky in that my group were really easy to work with but some groups didn't gel at all. It's at the lecturers discretion as to whether or not you can pick your own group or not.

Found the work load to be a bit more in 2nd semester anyway and that's mainly because you're sharing the load with one or two others.

Lecturers are grand for the most part. There's a lot of content in some of the lectures and one or two tend to fly through the stuff but tutorials are a great way to ask questions and things are explained more clearly in a smaller group.

Just don't be afraid to ask questions at any time. Many people around me struggled big time, didn't ask questions and felt lost with various things.

Oh i'll struggle with group work I'm not the best when it comes to that ha ha. Which class do yo think is the most difficult? Sorry for all the questions! just anxious to know these things :)

I've completed plc's so I'm used to the whole assignments coming at all once! the pressure wont be a problem I'm just afraid it will be completely different to what i'm familiar with.

Oh believe me I'm not afraid to ask questions if I'm stuck! Is there many people in the lectures? And also a stupid question but what are CA's?

Oh i'll struggle with group work I'm not the best when it comes to that ha ha. Which class do yo think is the most difficult? Sorry for all the questions! just anxious to know these things :)

I found a lot of people had the same mindset as you but the group work you do is a mix between fun activities and written work/joint presentations.

It's a nice mix and is designed to get you ready for placement when you could be working with groups of people at any given moment.

It may seem a bit silly but everything's extremely relevant.

Most difficult. Hmmm. I suppose psychology in semester 1 because it's probably the one with the most content. Can be a bit overwhelming but as long as you keep on top of things you'll be ok.
    I've completed plc's so I'm used to the whole assignments coming at all once! the pressure wont be a problem I'm just afraid it will be completely different to what i'm familiar with.

Don't worry yourself too much. There's going to be so many who haven't been to college before so it'll be a fairly even playing field.

The thing that throws people is the referencing stuff but that gets easier and easier as you go on.
    Oh believe me I'm not afraid to ask questions if I'm stuck! Is there many people in the lectures? And also a stupid question but what are CA's?

There were 120 in 1st year. Could well be lower by the time I get back into second year. You're then split into 6 groups of 20 for your tutorials.

CA stands for continuous assessment. They're your assignments basically.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I think I'll be in for your induction day actually as a volunteer to answer questions perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dreamkas

i stumbled across a recommended book list for the classes, important? some classes books weighted more important than others?
    thanks that_guy you have been uber informative!

dreamkas wrote: »
    i stumbled across a recommended book list for the classes, important? some classes books weighted more important than others?
    thanks that_guy you have been uber informative!

In all honesty, I haven't found the need for any books yet though one which could be quite useful is 'Creative Studies for the Caring Professions' which is incidentally written by Denise Lyons who will be one of your lecturers.

Well worth getting. Has a ton of creative activities in it for use with various age groups and could be a help to your Creative Studies weekly journal entries as part of your CA.

I also bought another book called 'Applied Social Studies'. In truth, I've opened it about three times but might come in useful.

These books will be available in the library but are scarce in number.

Look out for past students selling their books too and as far as I know the social care society were looking at having a library exclusively for social care students with various books.

The books are quite expensive but might be worth buying a book between two or three and splitting the cost.

There's a few resources in the library as I say but you'll need to be quick sometimes because you'll be competing with students from 1st/2nd/3rd and maybe 4th year to get your hands on some books if they're relevant to a particular CA.

Google books have some free books that lecturers can point you in the direction of if you're looking for some research. They'll usually be included in a reference list at the end of each lecture.

applied social studies or applied social care?

I found a lot of people had the same mindset as you but the group work you do is a mix between fun activities and written work/joint presentations.

It's a nice mix and is designed to get you ready for placement when you could be working with groups of people at any given moment.

It may seem a bit silly but everything's extremely relevant.

Most difficult. Hmmm. I suppose psychology in semester 1 because it's probably the one with the most content. Can be a bit overwhelming but as long as you keep on top of things you'll be ok.

Don't worry yourself too much. There's going to be so many who haven't been to college before so it'll be a fairly even playing field.

The thing that throws people is the referencing stuff but that gets easier and easier as you go on.

There were 120 in 1st year. Could well be lower by the time I get back into second year. You're then split into 6 groups of 20 for your tutorials.

CA stands for continuous assessment. They're your assignments basically.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I think I'll be in for your induction day actually as a volunteer to answer questions perhaps.

The referencing I wil be fine with once its the harvard referencing system? Speaking on induction day is there anything I should bring? and what should I expect? Oh and I'm assuming we are just in on the wednesday and then back in the monday?

applied social studies or applied social care?

Same thing. That's just the official name of the course.
    The referencing I wil be fine with once its the harvard referencing system? Speaking on induction day is there anything I should bring? and what should I expect? Oh and I'm assuming we are just in on the wednesday and then back in the monday?

Yep, it's the Harvard referencing system as most colleges are I think.

Not really. You don't really need to bring anything. Maybe just your bag because you'll be given a lot of leaflets/vouchers/coupons/student handbook and your timetable.

If it's anything like my induction last year, you'll be brought in to the sports hall where you'll meet some of your lecturers. After that you'll be given a little tour around the campus, you'll be brought to a room where you can register if you've not already done so online and can get your student cards.

After that you'll be given a free voucher for lunch, meet your lecturers and some previous first year students for a Q and A if you have any questions about the course and then given your timetables after a little bonding session.

It's almost a full day and you start your classes that following Monday then.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info :) much appreciated! I don't feel like too nervous now :)

sorry that_guy i meant the name of the book? i didnt have much luck looking for applied social studies

Thanks for all the info :) much appreciated! I don't feel like too nervous now :)

Not a problem. I think myself and a couple of others will be running some sort of group bonding session in the canteen at around 12pm if you need any more questions answered.
    sorry that_guy i meant the name of the book? i didnt have much luck looking for applied social studies

Oh my bad. Here's the link from the Gill and Macmillan site.
    Lecturers will let you know about some reps from them coming into the college selling books at a discounted price.

http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/social-studies-uni/social-studies-uni/applied-social-care

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mellymull53

Can anyone tell me what fetac results I need to gain entry into level 7 or 8 Iv only three now

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mellymull53

Can anyone tell me what fetac results I need to gain entry into level 7 or 8 Iv only three now

From the ITB website
    he minimum entry requirements for graduate of FETAC Level 5 or 6 awards is any full award in a course in a cognate area and including a distinction grade in at least 3 modules.
    The following courses are considered as cognate areas for progression : DCHSC, 5M2009, DCHSX, 5M4468, DCHCC, 5M2786, DCHSN, 5M4349, DCXXX, 5M2564, EASSX, 5M2181, 6M2218.

http://www.itb.ie/studyatitb/bn107.html

Advertisement