Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror Laptop to Tv

Options
  • 25-08-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are the best options for doing this. Mainly to put a movie on the laptop and not use a HDMI cable. Only one i'm half aware of is Apple tv for doing this. I believe Chromecast can only do this for browser based content.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Chromecast also has local file streaming (this app).

If you had a device that could pick up your laptop (xbox / ps3 / upc box) you can stream to that using ps3mediaserver.

Also, be aware that there are a lot of setbacks when streaming from your laptop to tv. Network speed / file size / encoders (codecs) / etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Plex + Chromecast - Seamless. Plex installs on your laptop, scans your chosen folders for your media (your download folder) and then you can control it with your phone and push it to the TV with one click. It's excellent.

chromecast-plex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks lads. Good suggestions there. Didn't know that the Chromecast could be used! Should have mentioned the other reason i'd like to have it mirroring is so I could use Sky Go. Not sure if any of the above would allow for that?

Advertisement