Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor dog being an ass in mornings, what can I do?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so my neighbors (whom I don't know) keep their dog in garden, it starts barking every morning at around 6-7 AM, it just barks in sky for some reason, can't sleep at all as it's very loud.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just contact management of estates? I would like to avoid dealing with neighbors directly, it's getting really annoying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Supersoaker out the window.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ask your local council to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The best way is to talk to your neighbour directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, so my neighbors (whom I don't know) keep their dog in garden, it starts barking every morning at around 6-7 AM, it just barks in sky for some reason, can't sleep at all as it's very loud.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just contact management of estates? I would like to avoid dealing with neighbors directly, it's getting really annoying.

Why? If it were my dog I would appreciate if someone came to me first with a problem rather than running straight to management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why? If it were my dog I would appreciate if someone came to me first with a problem rather than running straight to management.

If it were my dog I'd realise that a dog barking every day at 6am in a housign estate isnt acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Likely someone who let's their dog bark constantly is an ass hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If the estate has a management company, they'd be the first port of call. After that, the Council. After that the Gardaí. Still, it might be better to have a word with the neighbours before you go down those routes all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Gardai can't do anything about noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

a note through the letterbox would be my first step

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

sniperman wrote: »
    a note through the letterbox would be my first step

That's a good idea. Direct yet anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The Gardai can't do anything about noise.
    I've contacted the Gardaí about noise before and they had no problem acting on it (party in the middle of the night -- yes I am a party pooper!). Maybe dogs are different kennel of fish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Aard wrote: »
    I've contacted the Gardaí about noise before and they had no problem acting on it (party in the middle of the night -- yes I am a party pooper!). Maybe dogs are different kennel of fish :pac:

Legally they can't do anything, they can knock and ask, but can be told no. It's all down to Dublin City Council. This is speaking from very recent experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

If I manage to wake up from dog barking tomorrow at 6 AM, I will just go to neighbors apartment and knock and ring bell until he and his wife or anyone else who lives where wakes up, then will ask to do something about it.

However I have feeling I will be told F.O, in that case I will just contact management of estates, the management of my estate seem to be decent, they keep whole area green, clean, restore stair tiles, etc..

Btw it's Belfry Estate in Citywest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If I manage to wake up from dog barking tomorrow at 6 AM, I will just go to neighbors apartment and knock and ring bell until he and his wife or anyone else who lives where wakes up, then will ask to do something about it.

However I have feeling I will be told F.O, in that case I will just contact management of estates, the management of my estate seem to be decent, they keep whole area green, clean, restore stair tiles, etc..

If it's a managed estate I'd go straight to the Management Agent if you're an owner. If you're a tenant you need to go through your landlord. If you go direct to the unit and they do tell you where to go, then they are going to know it's you that contacted the Management Agent. If you go via the agent it's more discreet.

Tbh you're setting yourself up for war if you do that. If the dog wakes you up just film it barking, then go around tomorrow evening and tell them you've been woken repeatedly and you're really at the end of your tether. Ask them if there's anything they can do about it because you've tried putting up with it but it's impossible. Suggest splashing the dog with water each time it barks (worked on our dog).

If they don't cooperate over the next couple of days, THEN start escalating things. You'll still have to live next to them after blowing up in their face, there's a genuine possibility that they just don't hear the dog barking - they might automatically tune out the sound or be deep sleepers. Give them the benefit of the doubt (however unlikely) first, but I can assure you that going nuclear on them out of the blue won't do anything to help your cause. You'll be that nutjob next door who woke the whole house up claiming the dog was barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Just be civil and direct with your neighbour about it! Anything else is either cowardly or underhand.
    Ask them in for a cup of tea if you see them out in their garden.

"I happen to be a really light sleeper, and I dunno if you know tis but you're dog barks for a few hours each morning, if you could try sort something out about that in the next few days" etc. etc.

Don't be a tell-a-tale :)

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Don't be a tell-a-tale :)

Screw that. There are rules in managed developments. No dogs/pets that cause a disturbance is a standard rule. This pet is clearly causing a disturbance, they only way the management company/agent can build a breach of rules case against the unit concerned is if the disturbance is reported.

OP keep a diary of times and dates. This may be needed for the agent to take action.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Screw that. There are rules in managed developments. No dogs/pets that cause a disturbance is a standard rule. This pet is clearly causing a disturbance, they only way the management company/agent can build a breach of rules case against the unit concerned is if the disturbance is reported.

OP keep a diary of times and dates. This may be needed for the agent to take action.

I'd prefer to live next to a vocal dog than neighbours who feel they've been crossed.

Jesus, what happened to people just sorting things out between themselves? Why are people so neutered that they go running to someone else to solve THEIR problems without even trying to sort them out themselves. The first line of action between neighbours should be to talk to each other. Simple as.

I'd prefer to live next to a vocal dog than neighbours who feel they've been crossed.

They won't know who reported them if the OP goes direct to the agent. If they mention it to them first then go to the agent it's going to be pretty obvious who complained.

• Advertisement

So what? Chances are they can narrow it down to 1 of 2 houses anyway! Better to be upfront with people. Stop behaving like kids running to teacher and grow a spine, go in and talk to them like a grown up. If it doesn't work, THEN take the next step. Of course they'll know it was you. Surely thats better than running around behind peoples' backs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Maybe try an ultrasonic bark stopper. They emit an noise inaudible to humans whenever the dog barks, they can stop dogs from barking, but result varies from dog to dog.

athtrasna wrote: »
    They won't know who reported them if the OP goes direct to the agent. If they mention it to them first then go to the agent it's going to be pretty obvious who complained.

Oh come on, the truth always comes out!

Its definitely going to be between the first two households on either side of the dog owner and the dog owner has years to work it out.

yes, if you complain to the dog owner then the council the owner knows you complained BUT you were not a snake, you did it the right way and tried to settle it privately first

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dusty Fanlight

pellet gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

pellet gun.

Semtex

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The process for dealing with barking complaints is
    What can I do about barking dogs?

Excessive barking which causes a nuisance to any person is an offence. In a good-neighbourly manner, let the dog’s owner know how the barking affects you. They may not have realised what was happening. If that approach fails, a complaint about excessive barking should be made to the District Court. To do this, you must first inform the dog owner in writing using a prescribed form, which can be obtained from your local authority.

From environ.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Bark back. Swear to god man, the dog will just look at you with a confused look on it's face and totter off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Oh come on, the truth always comes out!

Its definitely going to be between the first two households on either side of the dog owner and the dog owner has years to work it out.

yes, if you complain to the dog owner then the council the owner knows you complained BUT you were not a snake, you did it the right way and tried to settle it privately first

I think calling the OP a snake is harsh. And why is he in the wrong? It's not his dog waking up the neighbourhood at 6 am

I think calling the OP a snake is harsh. And why is he in the wrong? It's not his dog waking up the neighbourhood at 6 am

If you were the dog owner, would you prefer your neighbour to speak to you face to face and give you the chance to sort it out or to get the big boys involved?

Also don't put words in my mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lifestooshort

So what? Chances are they can narrow it down to 1 of 2 houses anyway! Better to be upfront with people. Stop behaving like kids running to teacher and grow a spine, go in and talk to them like a grown up. If it doesn't work, THEN take the next step. Of course they'll know it was you. Surely thats better than running around behind peoples' backs?

If only you knew what kind of 'people' you were dealing with....if they tell to bugger off, then you are lucky - if they are anything like the kind of species of human being that are around now, you have a range of options to choose from:
    1. get your tyres slashed
    2. get your property vandalised/damaged
    3. get your head blown off
    you just don't know these days. talk to management or council - better to have an external representative go into these situations: at least they have some form of protection and anonymity to back them up.

Advertisement