Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor dog being an ass in mornings, what can I do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP has identified their development. It is a managed development therefore rules apply. The management agent is the first port of call in this case.

We don't know whether the OP or their neighbours are tenants, this will also factor into how this situation is dealt with.

It's not like living on a street old style, high density developments mean you don't have to live next door to suffer. In our development, noise in approximately 60 of the 81 units can be heard clearly by most of the houses/apartments because of the layout. Neighbours 22 units away had a dog that disturbed people on my side of the development just as much as if we'd been living next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I am tenant, not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

So what? Chances are they can narrow it down to 1 of 2 houses anyway! Better to be upfront with people. Stop behaving like kids running to teacher and grow a spine, go in and talk to them like a grown up. If it doesn't work, THEN take the next step. Of course they'll know it was you. Surely thats better than running around behind peoples' backs?
    Thats nieve. Talking to people like a grown up only works if they respond like grown ups. Letting their dog bark at an anti social time smacks of someone who won't respond with maturity. And now they know where you live.....

I think dog barks because it lacks some kind of freedom or something, it's kept there for 24/7 in garden, rain and sun, probably lost it's mind or so.

arleitiss wrote: »
    I am tenant, not the owner.

You need to go through your landlord so. The management agent and directors of the management company should only deal with company members ie Owners, rather than tenants.

• Advertisement

I think dog barks because it lacks some kind of freedom or something, it's kept there for 24/7 in garden, rain and sun, probably lost it's mind or so.

You can contact the council if you think the dog is mistreated. Does it have shelter and water?

You can contact the council if you think the dog is mistreated. Does it have shelter and water?

Yes it does.

Well management has sent me a letter and brochure when I moved in recently stating my rights as tenant and obligations to landlord, with contact numbers, what I can and cannot do etc...
    Never contacted this management yet but so far it seems like a very social management.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lifestooshort

Well management has sent me a letter and brochure when I moved in recently stating my rights as tenant and obligations to landlord, with contact numbers, what I can and cannot do etc...
    Never contacted this management yet but so far it seems like a very social management.

Just be careful around these dog-owners: if they treat their beloved pet like that, it doesn't look like they'll care much about what you say or think. Maybe the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (DSPCA) may have advice. Dogs need more than food and water - they need walking and company and social interaction. At least the DSPCA can send around an inspector to check the welfare of the animal and they have the back-up of the Gardaí if things get nasty.

Sounds like a letting agent rather than the development management company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Bandara wrote: »
    If it were my dog I'd realise that a dog barking every day at 6am in a housign estate isnt acceptable

Er...so would I but that's not really relevant to my point that its better to go to neighbour first? So much concern for not p1ssing them off but its a good idea to go over their heads? Right.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Er...so would I but that's not really relevant to my point that its better to go to neighbour first? So much concern for not p1ssing them off but its a good idea to go over their heads? Right.

Think for a minute about the downsides of those options.

Think for a minute about the downsides of those options.

Why dont you just state them since you've already mapped out the thought process you would like me to embark on. Problem with neighbour, talk to neighbour. Simple. Not everyone is an axe wielding, tyre-slashing maniac. Also remember that the neighbour might very well take their cue from OP wrt how to act. A reasonable word is hardly going to blow up into vandalism and street fighting. Where are you all living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Firstly, talk to the dog's owners & explain your grievance to them

If a simple solution cannot be agreed upon, the council & management contact needs to be your next move IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paulmccarthy

talk to them directly. Ask nicely and suggest they get a bark collar for the dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Hey, so my neighbors (whom I don't know) keep their dog in garden, it starts barking every morning at around 6-7 AM, it just barks in sky for some reason, can't sleep at all as it's very loud.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just contact management of estates? I would like to avoid dealing with neighbors directly, it's getting really annoying.

Stand at the fence and start barking back for an hour every morning, that'll shut everyone up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I have this problem also had to resort to wearing ear plugs.

Just be careful around these dog-owners: if they treat their beloved pet like that, it doesn't look like they'll care much about what you say or think. Maybe the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (DSPCA) may have advice. Dogs need more than food and water - they need walking and company and social interaction. At least the DSPCA can send around an inspector to check the welfare of the animal and they have the back-up of the Gardaí if things get nasty.

If the dog has food, water and shelter the DSPCA wont do anything.

stevek93 wrote: »
    I have this problem also had to resort to wearing ear plugs.

That's not a solution.

Why dont you just state them since you've already mapped out the thought process you would like me to embark on. Problem with neighbour, talk to neighbour. Simple. Not everyone is an axe wielding, tyre-slashing maniac. Also remember that the neighbour might very well take their cue from OP wrt how to act. A reasonable word is hardly going to blow up into vandalism and street fighting. Where are you all living?

Hyperbole doesn't help.

1. Inform management company. Pros: The neighbour gets advice. Cons: None for OP.
    2. Inform neighbour directly. Pros: The neighbor gets advice. Cons. The advice may be unwelcome and OP has started into a negative relationship with the neighbour.

The only thing we know about the neighbour is that they let their dog bark at early hours. The assumption is that this is a reflection on how they treat other members of society.

Or they are just really heavy sleepers! :)

I admire your optimism that they will 'take their cue from OP how to act'.

Either way, it's OPs choice on how to weigh the results of the intervention.

• Advertisement

Your neighbours sound fab - sounds like the Ireland we grew up in.....aww those were the days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Hyperbole doesn't help.

1. Inform management company. Pros: The neighbour gets advice. Cons: None for OP.
    2. Inform neighbour directly. Pros: The neighbor gets advice. Cons. The advice may be unwelcome and OP has started into a negative relationship with the neighbour.

The only thing we know about the neighbour is that they let their dog bark at early hours. The assumption is that this is a reflection on how they treat other members of society.

Sorry but you're only seeing it in one way. If you wanted to look at the bigger picture you'd do this:

Approach neighbour first: Pros: Neighbour appreciates the directness and friendly approach and tries to sort it out. End of story. Cons: Neighbour might not appreciate the approach and does nothing about it

Approach management company first: Neighbour feels under more obligation to do something about it. Cons: Neighbour is rightly pissed off that you didn't give him the courtesy of mentioning it to him first and goes out of his way to make life a pain and doesn't do anything about the barking.

It's naive to assume the neighbour won't know (or be able to find out) who went to the management company about it. Seriously, behave like grown ups and approach your neighbour in a non-confrontational way. It's not about giving the neighbour advice btw, if you go around dishing out advice to neighbours that's guaranteed to get their backs up! Just mention that you know it's hard to stop a dog barking blah de blah but it's become a real problem and you've been trying your best with ear plugs (lie if you don't want to try them) and ignoring the dog and so on but it's gone on so long that you felt you had to say it.

If only you knew what kind of 'people' you were dealing with....if they tell to bugger off, then you are lucky - if they are anything like the kind of species of human being that are around now, you have a range of options to choose from:
    1. get your tyres slashed
    2. get your property vandalised/damaged
    3. get your head blown off
    you just don't know these days. talk to management or council - better to have an external representative go into these situations: at least they have some form of protection and anonymity to back them up.
    Hyperbole doesn't help.

:)

Sorry but you're only seeing it in one way. If you wanted to look at the bigger picture you'd do this:

Approach neighbour first: Pros: Neighbour appreciates the directness and friendly approach and tries to sort it out. End of story. Cons: Neighbour might not appreciate the approach and does nothing about it

Approach management company first: Neighbour feels under more obligation to do something about it. Cons: Neighbour is rightly pissed off that you didn't give him the courtesy of mentioning it to him first and goes out of his way to make life a pain and doesn't do anything about the barking.

It's naive to assume the neighbour won't know (or be able to find out) who went to the management company about it. Seriously, behave like grown ups and approach your neighbour in a non-confrontational way. It's not about giving the neighbour advice btw, if you go around dishing out advice to neighbours that's guaranteed to get their backs up! Just mention that you know it's hard to stop a dog barking blah de blah but it's become a real problem and you've been trying your best with ear plugs (lie if you don't want to try them) and ignoring the dog and so on but it's gone on so long that you felt you had to say it.

Apparently we have it all wrong. The fact that they do nothing to combat their canine karaoke means they are indeed axe wielding maniacs who will go insane if OP goes for the direct approach. We are into the realm of making general assumptions about people's ability to conduct themselves in society based solely on the fact that their dog barks :o

Your neighbours sound fab - sounds like the Ireland we grew up in.....aww those were the days.....

Where did I mention my neighbours?

DLMA23 wrote: »
    Firstly, talk to the dog's owners & explain your grievance to them

If a simple solution cannot be agreed upon, the council & management contact needs to be your next move IMHO

And the neighbour will never know who sent in council and management.....that's crazy: you could be sending the OP into a lions' den.
    most neighbours now in estates are from different countries, different cultures, unaware and indifferent to our lax laws and perhaps there may even be a language barrier? Maybe finding out if theres a residents association or community garda in the area - it would be worth getting to know them and sussing things out? Its good to know these things regardless of whether theres a problem or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

a lad next door to me complained about a dog barking accross the street. the next morning when leaving for work, the complaining neighbours cat was half shoved through the letter box with his eyballs gouged out.

And the neighbour will never know who sent in council and management.....that's crazy: you could be sending the OP into a lions' den.
    most neighbours now in estates are from different countries, different cultures, unaware and indifferent to our lax laws and perhaps there may even be a language barrier? Maybe finding out if theres a residents association or community garda in the area - it would be worth getting to know them and sussing things out? Its good to know these things regardless of whether theres a problem or not.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Just ask yourself what would get the most positive response if it was you:

1- Polite neighbour calling the door at a reasonable hour looking for a reasonable solution.
    2- Passive-aggressive anonymous note through the door.
    3- Contact from landlord/management company.

The latter two would have me in a fury, I have to say. Obviously actually talking to someone is way harder than writing a note or telling tales to Mammy, but it's the only way that's going to leave you with any hope of a positive relationship with your neighbour.

Anyway, the Belfry's a pretty decent neighbourhood, I don't think anyone's going to pull a knife on you.

• Advertisement

Tordelback wrote: »
    Just ask yourself what would get the most positive response if it was you:

1- Polite neighbour calling the door at a reasonable hour looking for a reasonable solution.
    2- Passive-aggressive anonymous note through the door.
    3- Contact from landlord/management company.

The latter two would have me in a fury, I have to say. Obviously actually talking to someone is way harder than writing a note or telling tales to Mammy, but it's the only way that's going to leave you with any hope of a positive relationship with your neighbour.

Anyway, the Belfry's a pretty decent neighbourhood, I don't think anyone's going to pull a knife on you.

If you had a dog would you leave your dog barking all morning?

Advertisement